FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by crb31 View Post
    Where are the cover buttons?
    In the 5E modifiers box. Generic modifier info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Modifiers

Screenshot of the 5E modifiers box in post #5 above.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dj-wedge View Post
    Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll? I've just been telling people "You have disadvantage because there are friendlies in the line of fire". And fumbles are always interesting. <evil grin>
    There is no 'shooting into melee' rules in 5e as there was in previous iterations of D&D. There is still disadvantage for using a ranged weapon where there is an enemy within 5' of you.

Interestingly the PHB only talks about line of sight and targeting in the spellcasting section of the rules; I can find nothing about line of sight as regards missile weapons. However the 'Cover' rules do talk about creatures being in the way of a ranged attack. I think it's reasonable to suggest that the closer a creature is to the target the more likely it is that the target would have some kind of cover. It would also be reasonable to say that if an ally was directly in line between the target and the shooter that the target would benefit from cover. Whichever way you rule this the penalty is a straight negative to the roll not disatvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by dj-wedge View Post
    Thankfully that does not preclude any creativity during fumbles.
    My current online game is with a first time DM and he's absolutely convinced that rolling a 1 means you hit a party member no matter how unlikely it is to physically happen!

Barbarian rushes into a room and swings his battleaxe rolling a 1. The battleaxe flies out of the barb's hands on the back swing bounces off the outside tunnel wall and ricochets into the poor Ranger hiding around the corner out of sight till all the baddies are fixated on the barbarian...

I use the hitting cover rule from the DMG (page 272)

But the -2 near chat works great, no do think we have ever used the Mod side button.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    My current online game is with a first time DM and he's absolutely convinced that rolling a 1 means you hit a party member no matter how unlikely it is to physically happen!

Barbarian rushes into a room and swings his battleaxe rolling a 1. The battleaxe flies out of the barb's hands on the back swing bounces off the outside tunnel wall and ricochets into the poor Ranger hiding around the corner out of sight till all the baddies are fixated on the barbarian...
    when playing this (on a 1 my players roll on a critical miss and it might come up you hit an ally) the attacker still needs to roll a successful hit on the *new target*.

Quote Originally Posted by Larac View Post
    But the -2 near chat works great, no do think we have ever used the Mod side button.
    If all you have is cover and no other mods then that works great. If you have multiple -2 modifiers using the modifier window helps - and it also shows in the attack roll what each modifier is for.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I just shoot through the holes I previously made in my group mates
    Ultimate license

I'm really feeling dense here. Can someone point out exactly how to open the Modifiers dialog box previously discussed? I shamefully admit I spent a good 15 minutes last night trying to find it and failed miserably. I did figure out you can reposition your dice and the little modifier thing in the lower left. But no amount of clicking or shift clicking or ctrl-shift-4M's and silent Q clicking could pull up any dialog box.

Thanks in advance,
    Wedge
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

The attached picture shows the steps for a basic covered attack.

First click the +/- button on the top right of your button bar.
    Second click the Cover button to activate it, it will turn red (depending on your theme) to show it's active.
    Third make your attack normally.
    Four confirm that the [COVER] modifier was included in the roll.

Note that you need to have your player and target on the combat tracker for it all to work properly.

Thread Information