5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Shooting am Arrow in line of sight

What is the rule if a fellow adventurer is in the line of sight to a creature. Do I go at disadvantage or since I am proficient do I get to ignore the fact they are in the line of sight? I just wanted the community to answer I have said it is ok my DM's, bit it seems like at least I should be at disadvantage if I am not proficient. If I am proficient I am not sure because the way I see it I would be good enough with the bow I could miss them. I could also look at it as I have a percentage chance of hitting them even though it would be low if I was proficient.

Thanks

Kevin

The target would benefit from Half Cover. So +2 to their AC for the attack per page 196 of the PHB:

A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall. a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

kylania answered it already; for an option to avoid that penalty, the Sharpshooter feat allows you to ignore cover (and disadvantage from range)
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll? I've just been telling people "You have disadvantage because there are friendlies in the line of fire". And fumbles are always interesting. <evil grin>
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by dj-wedge View Post
    Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll?
    Not specifically for cover - these are -2 for cover and -5 for superior cover. FG ruleset has this covered (pun intended, sorry) in the modifier box with the Cover and Sup. Cover buttons:

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thankfully that does not preclude any creativity during fumbles.
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Will that apply the half cover everyone is talking about

Quote Originally Posted by kdconwell1 View Post
    Will that apply the half cover everyone is talking about
    Yes - these are attack -2 for "half-cover" (the "Cover" button) and -5 for "three-quarters cover" (the "superior cover" button) as per the "Cover" section in the PHB.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Where are the cover buttons?
    Last edited by crb31; July 8th, 2015 at 19:06. Reason: Spelling
    Time Zone - Mountain Standard
    Looking to Play
    Looking to DM- considering doing some AL stuff in FG

Thread Information