DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

Keeping track of game time

I think a great tool that I wish would be included in the rulesets is an internal clock, not one that tracks real time, but game time. My players and I always have difficulty determining how much time has passed and when we need an extended rest. It's usually more like, "Hey we haven't rested for awhile, I guess we should take an extended rest." I don't know how this could be accomplished, maybe if you added a grid to every map and it was also tied in to combat tracker, an internal clock could add up how much the company has traveled according to the grid and how much time has elapsed according to combat tracker. How do you guys keep track of time?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

I estimate time spent doing "stuff" and occasionally advance the clock in the calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Calendar

Combats takes a matter of a handful of minutes at a maximum, most not even 10 rounds (1 minute). I usually don't track time spent in a combat as there is rarely any need for that level of detail.

If the group is travelling overland it's pretty easy to work out how much time it takes to travel based off the slowest member of the party and update the time in the game calendar as needed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information