5E Character Create Playlist
Page 42 of 52 First ... 324041424344 ... Last

Thread: DCC RPG Ruleset

Moving onto the next issue...

Using the items template (not sure if it has changed lately), I find if I open any Armor (Padded, shield etc) I get the following error:

Script Error: [string "ref_armor_header"]:1: attempt to index global 'weight_label' (a nil value)

A quick grep of "ref_armor_header" and I find this line in the <DCCRPG.pak>/ref/ref_equipment.xml.

Is this a case of me having an old template or some other issue?

I also noticed that the item template seems to duplicate the data (Weapons: name, cost, damage and range; Armor: name, cost, ac, checkpenalty, speedpenalty and fumbledie) between the LIST section and the REFERENCE section. Is this just a case where the full item list would have the cost, etc as well as the individual item window?

Thanks
    Kirklandone
    Last edited by kirklandone; December 28th, 2018 at 22:15.

Blog Entries
    I will check the item weight error. It’s supposed to check whether encumbrance is enabled in options and hide the weight field if it’s not.

Blog Entries
    I fixed the script error for armor - download the ruleset again, and it should work now. Thanks for catching that!

DCC Ruleset - Item Template

Leozelig,

I am trying to understand how the item template gets parsed to be put into the lists and tables (for Weapons and Armor).

For example, here are my entries for Blowgun and Battleax and the FG generated entry for Flintlock (I entered this from within FG).
    <blowgun>
    <locked type="number">1</locked>
    <name type="string">Blowgun</name>
    <cost type="string">6</cost>
    <damage type="string">1d3 piercing (1d5 piercing)</damage>
    <type type="string">Weapon</type>
    <subtype type="string">Blowgun</subtype>
    <description type="formattedtext">A hollow tube resembling a flute or smoking device.</description>
    <nonid_name type="string">Blowgun</nonid_name>
    <nonidentified type="string"></nonidentified>
    <ranges type="string">20/40/60</ranges>
    <properties type="string">Ammunition (range 20/40/60), loading, stealth</properties>
    <weight type="number">2.0</weight>
    </blowgun>
    <battleaxe>
    <name type="string">Battleaxe</name>
    <cost type="string">7</cost>
    <damage type="string">1d10 slashing</damage>
    <subtype type="string">Battleaxe</subtype>
    <description type="formattedtext"></description>
    <nonid_name type="string">Battleaxe</nonid_name>
    <nonidentified type="string">Sturdy wooden hafted axe</nonidentified>
    <properties type="string">Heavy, two-handed</properties>
    <weight type="number">7.0</weight>
    </battleaxe>
    <id-00001>
    <ac type="number">0</ac>
    <bonus type="number">0</bonus>
    <checkpenalty type="number">0</checkpenalty>
    <cost type="string">150</cost>
    <damage type="string">1d6 piercing</damage>
    <description type="formattedtext">
    <p></p>
    </description>
    <name type="string">Flintlock</name>
    <nonid_name type="string">firearm</nonid_name>
    <nonidentified type="string">Rusty ancient</nonidentified>
    <ranges type="string">35</ranges>
    <speedpenalty type="number">0</speedpenalty>
    <subtype type="string">Firearm</subtype>
    <weight type="number">3</weight>
    </id-00001>

See Attached image:

The Flintlock entry has entries in the window for Non-ID Name, Notes (the <nonidentified> entry I believe), Type, Range and subtype.
    My Battleax and Blowgun do not have entries for Non_ID Name, Notes, Type, Range and Subtype, though I appear to have those fields in the mod. The description for blowgun is included. Also, my entries have (Weapon(Battleax) and Weapon(Blowgun)) under their name but the Flintlock does not.

I was able to get the Blowgun range to be in the weapons table by adding a <ranges type="string"></ranges> entry. I believe that also put it into my item specific window as well.

The Properties and Weight are not displayed, but I can always j
    Thanks again for you support in answering all my questions.

Kirklandone
    Attached Images Attached Images

AHA!

I am starting to understand. Sorry if I am slow.

If I drag one of the weapons/armor/items that I have in my DCCRPG-items.mod to a character sheet, it will have all those other fields displayed because it is now an editable unique instance of the item from the mod. The mod items just show the simple information and are not allowed to be edited.

Is that about right?
    Kirklandone

Blog Entries
    You should definitely start from within FG.
    Create one of every data type you are going to create a library for - make sure there is valud data in every field even if that object doesnt use every data field - and then export them (/export). You will then have a template for reuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirklandone View Post
    AHA!

I am starting to understand. Sorry if I am slow.

If I drag one of the weapons/armor/items that I have in my DCCRPG-items.mod to a character sheet, it will have all those other fields displayed because it is now an editable unique instance of the item from the mod. The mod items just show the simple information and are not allowed to be edited.

Is that about right?
    Kirklandone
    The module data are set up as read-only in the templates. You can remove the static="true" clause from the xml code if you want them to be editable, otherwise you do have to create a second instance inside your campaign to make changes. I will check the 5E ref files and see if the ID fields are included in those.

Also, try removing the <ac>, <checkpenalty>, and <speedpenalty> fields from your flintlock item. I don't know if that has any influence on the display conditions, but at the very least, you can remove any fields that are not relevant (armor stats for a weapon, in this case). Probably in the case of creating a database of items, spells, and NPCs, it makes sense to build them within FG and export as a module file. Even a reference manual can be created with celestian's 'Author' extension, unless you just want to learn some xml

Edit: The reference sheets opened from the data module are coded for a different display than item records in your campaign (as you discovered).
    Last edited by leozelig; December 30th, 2018 at 17:28.

Leozelig,

Changing the <equipmentdata static="true"> to "false" did not change the behavior of the items in the items lists. I am okay if the items in the list are more simply displayed. Once they get dropped on the character sheet, they look normal and have all the information and are editable.

I may end up entering the Item info from within game...some day.

I also noticed that dropping shields onto character sheets causing as error on line 190 of the ../campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua file. The script is trying to deal with the Fumble Die for a shield. This happens whether I use my XML shield or one I just created from within FG. So, I just gave my XML item a dummy 1d1 fumble die. That gets rid of the message.

How do you create "Powers" or "Features" for Clerics (or other classes as necessary) that end up on the Action Tab (Lay on Hands, Turn Unholy)?
    Can you create them within the Classes XML or do you just have to create custom powers on the character sheet from within FG?
    I have entries on the Abilities Tab under Features....but they do not get placed as actions

Thanks
    Kirklandone

Blog Entries
    I will check on that script error - thanks for helping me knock these out.

The abilities on the class record sheet only drop to the Features list on the Abilities tab. Add a new power on the Actions tab, set the group type to 'Abilities'. I set the group daily uses to 1 and name the power group 'Cleric Abilities'. Then add an action (Cast) and set the base modifier to 'SpChk+' and the ability to 'Luck'. You will need to set up your base spell check to use your personality modifier. I really need to make some tutorial videos...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirklandone View Post
    I also noticed that dropping shields onto character sheets causing as error on line 190 of the ../campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua file. The script is trying to deal with the Fumble Die for a shield. This happens whether I use my XML shield or one I just created from within FG. So, I just gave my XML item a dummy 1d1 fumble die. That gets rid of the message.
    Try using the format d8 instead of 1d8 for the fumble die. My shield entry works - see screenshot. I also attached a screenshot of how Turn Unholy would look on the Actions tab.

screenshot0001.jpg
    screenshot0002.jpg

Thread Information