DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    As with most features of the game system, the focus is on the 80-90% most used mechanics. Unfortunately, Elemental Adept throws 2 minimally used mechanics into the mix: Minimum roll (which is different then existing reroll and only instance in PHB), and ignoring resistance (which is only mentioned twice in PHB). It's on the list of mechanics not yet supported, but no estimate of timing.

For the minimum roll aspect, I'd probably just fudge it and give my player +1 per die. It only changes the average damage by +0.5 per die rolled.
    For the ignoring resistance, it needs to be added. One of the reasons why it hasn't been implemented yet is that "ignore damage resistance" type effects are actually 2 separate things: ignore resistance for all spells, or ignore resistance for a particular damage roll. Even the all spells can be difficult to code as a general rule. I'm guessing that per spell would come first to support NPCs too.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    What happens if you were to change the damage type to a dual type? Not sure you can even do that, something like "1d6 fire and other/untyped". And can that second type be "untyped"? Then, if all that's possible, would resistance Fire be bypassed since it is not resistant to both types of damage? But vulnerability fire would be considered?

And then to add to Moon's suggestion, instead of trying to adjust the re-roll on 1's, change the damage to 1d5+1? That would have the effect of keeping the min and max values the same, but would shift the average damage up less than .5. (Some math guy want to calculate the average if you re-roll 1's for us? I don't think it would be as quiet as much as .5 given that you only re-roll ~17% of the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    (Some math guy want to calculate the average if you re-roll 1's for us? I don't think it would be as quiet as much as .5 given that you only re-roll ~17% of the time.)
    Note - damage re-roll is already available in the ruleset. It is converting 1's to 2's that isn't available.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Ah, I misunderstood the adapt rule. I see now, 1's become 2's. In that case, the correct average roll for a 1d6 for the adapt rule would be.... (2+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.67
    versus using 1d5+1 which would be 4.0
    Last edited by LordEntrails; June 11th, 2015 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Ah, I misunderstood the adapt rule. I see now, 1's become 2's. In that case, the correct average roll for a 1d6 for the adapt rule would be.... (2+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.67
    versus using 1d5+1 which would be 4.0
    what effect would 2d3 have on the average damage ?

It would also be 4.0.
    3d2 - 1 gets you about 3.43~ but is weighted to rolling 3's and can never be 6.

Blog Entries
    Note that 2d3 and 3d2 have other effects that changing the average damage. The more dice used to get the same range, the steeper/more centralized the bell curve. i.e. 2d3 has an average of 4, but that average occurs more often than the "average" you obtain when you roll 1d5+1

Trenloe,

Any update on when support for Elemental Adept (ignoring a damage resistance or rerolling 1s to 2s) might be coming out? This is one of the few things that isn't automated in my campaign and I have an Evocation fire loving wizard that is KILLING ME with having to manually recalculate damage everytime he casts a spell!

Thanks,
    Kulis

No these things haven't been implemented and as discussed above might not be that easy to do.

The only method I can think of is to have your player not roll the damage against the NPC (In other words untarget them before damage is rolled). Then you can manually enter the damage against the NPC yourself. This gets around any resistance problem and it should be easy enough to add in any extra +1's to the damage mentally.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information