FG Spreadshirt Swag

Possible to use local PCs in campaign?

Hi all,

Long time D&D player, but brand new FG user. I got the ultimate license and some resource manuals and so far, very much liking things!

Here's my real issue... After I launched the FG program, I decided I wanted to create some characters. I did this via the Manage Characters option and I was successful in creating 3 or 4 new, level 1 characters. My thought was to get my feet wet and use these characters either in the demo or other campaign. Since it's intended for testing only, I'd be acting as the DM as well as running these new characters just to try out targeting, attacking and so forth. However, after creating the characters, I could not find a way to "load" them into a campaign. For example, when I launched the Demo Camp, only the pre-generated PCs appeared as options.

Question is: Is there a way to use the characters I've created in the campaign I'm using? If so, how do I "load" the PCs so that they are accessible? Once the characters are created, do they get stored somewhere?

Any help is appreciated!

You can launch another Instance of FG, then Join your first.

Choose a name, and then LocalHost to connect.

That will allow you to have a "player" to see what they will see.
    Do not think it is stablr over one "pc" this way, but will let you see targeting and how your players will see things.

If you have a CHAR you have set for some one can Export it then load it back on the module you are running.

Other will have more info for you as well. Bedtime.

You can safely run two instances of FG on the same PC, provide that one is the "host"(GM) and the other is a Player (or you load two entirely different Rulesets/campaigns). Running three is a no-no, but two is perfectly fine.

The Demo Campaign is exactly that: a demo. It won't save any information between sessions. To do what you want to do create a new campaign on the GM-instance of FG and then connect the Player-Instance using a connection string of "localhost" (you can use your PC's IP Address if you know it, but most of use use "localhost" because its easier).

On the GM-instance click on the Characters Large Menubar Button (down the right-hand side) and then click on the brown circular button with the diagonal slash on it (the Edit Button) at the bottom of the Character Selection Window. This will display two more round buttons: click on the blue one with the upward arrow on it (the Import Character Button). This will open a file selection dialog where you can select the previous exported character you made earlier - if you haven't made and exported a character from earlier, follow similar steps in the Manage Characters Mode to do so.

Once you have a character imported (or created directly in the campaign) your Player can then select it for use by clicking on it in their copy of the Character Selection Window.

Of course, the other way to do this is for the Player to create a Character while connected to the GM's host. To do this the Player clicks on the green Add Character Button at the bottom of their copy of the Character Selection Window - but I think you already know how to do this.

Incidentally, all of this is explained in my Tutorial Video series available from the FG Wiki (& also from the links in my sig). I strong encourage you to watch this video series and the others on the Wiki as its probably the quickest and easiest way to learn how to use FG.

BTW Welcome aboard! Have fun, keep on asking question, and go through the info on the FG Wiki - all of that will help, as will the great Community we have here.

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; June 6th, 2015 at 06:52.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by Larac View Post
    You can launch another Instance of FG, then Join your first.

Choose a name, and then LocalHost to connect.
    Note: it must be localhost all lower case.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for the answers/suggestions! Greatly appreciated. Having a great time so far - and been watching a lot of videos to learn learn learn

Thanks again!

Thread Information