DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Rules within Rules

Let's say, for example, that I create a ruleset for Legend of the Five Rings. L5R uses the Roll/Keep system, which is used by two other games I know of, but isn't used as a system unto itself. Is it possible to create a basic archive that could be used by L5R, but kept separate for someone to use in a 7th Sea ruleset, yet *does not* appear in the campaign list?

Not currently. I thought that would be a nice expansion for later. Sort of a "libraries" feature for rulesets. It's not currently on our roadmap though.

Cheers,
    JPG

I thought of a neat way to do this (from a ruleset dev standpoint, anyhow) in the base.xml:

Code:
    <root ...>
        <display name="" visible=0 />
    ..you'll notice I snuck in a "name" string, too! I know, I'm terribly subtle. =P A setup like this is (hopefully) easily backwards-compatible, since if the <display ...> tag doesn't exist, FG can default to its current behavior (name is archive/directory name, visible is 1).

Obviously, writing the code would be a different matter entirely.. I'll have to check out the wishlist in your sig, too.

- Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Giomancer View Post
    I thought of a neat way to do this (from a ruleset dev standpoint, anyhow) in the base.xml:

Code:
    <root ...>
        <display name="" visible=0 />
    Can you expand on what this actually does and how it would be used?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Can you expand on what this actually does and how it would be used?
    Well.. as I wrote it, <display> contains name="", which would allow FF to display a name in the new campaign list different from the archive name. The visible variable says whether or not the name will be visible in that list at all.

EDIT: It's just the first run of an idea, and I didn't try to check it very well.
    Last edited by Giomancer; May 27th, 2015 at 04:54.

I'm still unsure as to what you're trying to accomplish. But, hey, run with it...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Possibly its related to the other post... the Display Name for the Ruleset in the Ruleset list in Create Campaign is derived from the Archive or Folder name containing the Ruleset...?

The name of a ruleset is always the name of the folder or PAK file it was loaded from.

Regards,
    JPG

I've got a roll/keep die handler in my Yggdrasill ruleset, in the community rulesets folder in my signature. Yggdrasill uses a system where you roll a number of d10 and keep 2 (normally), or 1 if wounded. You may be able to do something with that for L5R. I query the results, finding the highest two, and then rebuild the dice element to only show those dice.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The name of a ruleset is always the name of the folder or PAK file it was loaded from.

Regards,
    JPG
    I understand. It was an idea of how it might look from the xml side if ever implemented, that's all.

Thread Information