DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Help Creating Magical Weapons and Armor

I have spent hours looking so far, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I am converting old D&D modules to 5e and I am trying to replicate some of the magic items. Particularly the Sunsword from Ravenloft. I have a few questions about various fields.

Weapons:
    Bonus: Is this the field that gives an item +2 to hit and damage by entering 2?
    Damage: What is the correct format for entering damage?
    Properties: Is there a list of properties? Does properties do any kind of automation within the game or is this strictly for documentation purposes?

Armor:
    Dex Bonus: Does this field auto populate when given to an adventurer with their dex bonus, or is this something that should be added by the DM?
    Properties: Again, is there a list of properties and do they do any kind of automation within the game.

I really need a list of 5e properties. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Ed

The properties are generally info only there is not any automation with them. They are the same as what is in the column on PH pg 145 for armor and for 149 for weapons. IE Padded armor has no min str requirement and Disadvantage on Stealth and a club has the property light. If you have one of the PH packs you can see the list by opening the library module, clicking Equipment, then clicking Armor to open the Armor Table or clicking Weapon to open the Weapon table to see the listing(s) if any for each weapon or armor.

For Weapons, yes, Bonus is what you think it is.

Generally, the easiest way to make a magic weapon or armor is to drag and drop the mundane version from the weapon or armor table onto the Item list to create a copy in the list. Then click on the item to open the pop up. Unlock the lock in the top right of the popup by clicking on the lock icon. You will notice that most of the fields will be populated for you. You would make any changes you needed here though for armor you will just changed the name at the top from like "Leather" to "+1 Leather" and just increase the AC bonus from +11 to +12. In the description you could add the boilerplate magic item text at the end if you wish, IE "The most basic form of magic armor is a superb product... "

Everything in armor other than the weight is info only. The weight value is used to calculate Encumbrance with the armor is dropped into inventory and the "Apply to carried weight." column is checked.

For weapon's its similar. For you Sunsword, determine the type of sword you want it to be, short sword, long sword, two-handed sword and then drag and drop the mundane sword from the weapon table on the items list. Then open up the individual pop up and unlock it. There are two important things to change. Change the bonus from 0 to whatever the magic plus is. In the damage field add "; magic". IE for a Longsword change 1d8 slashing to 1d8 slashing; magic. Doing this will allow the weapon to be set up right when it is dragged into inventory and spawned on the Actions tab under weapons. FG will now know to add the bonus to hit and damage and that the weapon is a magic weapon and can do full damage to monsters that only take full damage from magic weapons.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 14th, 2015 at 00:05.

Griogre,

Thank you SOOOOO much for the info. It was literally driving me mad. I searched all over the place trying to find the answer and couldnt find it anywhere. Ok, so what if the weapon is +2, +4 vs undead? Is there any functionality for that in Fantasy Grounds?

There isn't really any full automation for this. For the +2, +4 vs. undead you could do it two ways. Probably the simplest is simply to add another Weapon entry on the action tab called the "Weapon name" vs. undead and make it +4 to hit and damage. This is easy and flexible since the player just picks the appropriate attack and damage rolls.

The other way is to use an effect. Would just make the +2 version of the weapon on the Action tab, then you could simply add and effect: ATK: 2; DMG: 2; vs. Undead and set it to expire on the next swing and drop have the Player drop the effect it on the character before it attacks an undead.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 14th, 2015 at 03:22.

Okay, how are other DMs handling +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper? (+1 to spell attack rolls)

I've been fairly stingy with flat-bonus magic items in my campaign, so this is the first time I've noticed that there's no "bonus" field in the spells section where I can modify the base spell attack.

For now I added the bonus to each spell attack spell they have, but that's going to get annoying fast...
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Okay, how are other DMs handling +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper? (+1 to spell attack rolls)

I've been fairly stingy with flat-bonus magic items in my campaign, so this is the first time I've noticed that there's no "bonus" field in the spells section where I can modify the base spell attack.

For now I added the bonus to each spell attack spell they have, but that's going to get annoying fast...
    Yes, that's the only way. Add a bonus of 1 to the Ranged attack field in each spell which has a ranged attack.

Thread Information