DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Magic Item "Charges"

How do people keep track of the charges on the magic items? So far we have just been putting a note on the character sheet, but something more akin to spell slots or ammunition would be wonderful. Any ideas?

TIA,
    Wedgie
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Set the item up in the action tap.
    And in preparation mode set it up as N Once.
    In combat mode you then see N dots you can tick off

Blog Entries
    I have a DM note that I mark off the number of charges. PCs never know the number unless they created the charged item, maybe not even then.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I like that idea John. Evil GM.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I have a DM note that I mark off the number of charges. PCs never know the number unless they created the charged item, maybe not even then.
    Yeah, this is just nasty

Keeping it secret and tracking it by myself was how I used to do it "back in the day". But I have grown accustomed to FG handling much of the paperwork for me. Sometimes I feel it is okay to sacrifice a little of the unknown/realism for the sake of simplicity. It's too bad you can't make the tick marks invisible to the player and setup the specific action(s) to automatically remove the ticks from the total. Then the item will "fizzle" if they try to use a power when it is out of charges.
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

Remember that Identify gives charge/recharge info on magic items. If you are going to allow the PCs to get use info by just resting and contemplating the item, you should just let them have the info and track it themselves.

I think the magic items should have a charges option just loke weapons can have an ammo option.

- Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rhammer2 View Post
    Remember that Identify gives charge/recharge info on magic items. If you are going to allow the PCs to get use info by just resting and contemplating the item, you should just let them have the info and track it themselves.

I think the magic items should have a charges option just loke weapons can have an ammo option.

- Robert
    Hey Robert, I attached a picture of a wand of frost set up as a weapon. You will noticed I clicked the ranged icon (an arrow) and made it ranged. Doing this brings up little circles which are automatically checked when a charge is used by rolling the black dice next to it.

So every thime the wand is used a little circle is auto checked as a charge. Just set up the wand as a weapon, by adding a new weapon with the brown circle with the white line through it at the bottom, then just click the icon, left of the black dice to make it ranged (an arrow). Then you get the little circles which simulates "charges" Like you want. You can recharge it by simply clicking the check marks off.

Attachment 9872
    Thanks JH79
    AKA: Valorious Goodspeak: Gold Hill Dwarf Cleric
    Thaldor Hammersmith: Mountain Shield Dwarf

Parsed full versions-5th Edition books in-game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide

DMing 5e content, currently:
    Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen
    Playing in Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Ultimate Licence Holder: You play for free
    1000+ Wizards Of The Coast Miniatures used in-game
    Team Speak Address: ts.fg-con.com
    Password: Dungeoneers

Quote Originally Posted by jh79 View Post
    Hey Robert, I attached a picture of a wand of frost set up as a weapon. You will noticed I clicked the ranged icon (an arrow) and made it ranged. Doing this brings up little circles which are automatically checked when a charge is used by rolling the black dice next to it.

So every thime the wand is used a little circle is auto checked as a charge. Just set up the wand as a weapon, by adding a new weapon with the brown circle with the white line through it at the bottom, then just click the icon, left of the black dice to make it ranged (an arrow). Then you get the little circles which simulates "charges" Like you want. You can recharge it by simply clicking the check marks off.

Attachment 9872
    Great Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jh79 View Post

This is indeed a good idea. Just be careful though because this won't work if the spell requires a saving throw. You'll need to set it up as a power as Thegroo says in the post above.

Thread Information