5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Adding text to a map

Is there a way to add text to a map, in a similar manner to dragging and dropping tokens? Scaleable, moveable, etc?

Only way I can think of is to draw on the map inside of FG, or outside of FG to use something like GIMP.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Make a story item and drag a pin to the m

You can't add text directly to a map. Another option is to drag tokens to the map and then add "tooltip" text to them by typing a label in the chat window (don't press enter) and then drag the label text from the chat window entry area and drop it on your token on the map. This gives that token the label text as a tooltip (hover the mouse over the token to see the text).

Adding text directly to the map is a fairly popular item in the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40911 Go vote for it, although it probably won't be looked at until the future migration to the Unity engine.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You can't add text directly to a map. Another option is to drag tokens to the map and then add "tooltip" text to them by typing a label in the chat window (don't press enter) and then drag the label text from the chat window entry area and drop it on your token on the map. This gives that token the label text as a tooltip (hover the mouse over the token to see the text).

Adding text directly to the map is a fairly popular item in the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40911 Go vote for it, although it probably won't be looked at until the future migration to the Unity engine.
    I employ a similar method for denoting traps/hazards on maps via the CT - I create dummy entries for Traps/Hazards for example with a simple Trap/Hazard token that I can then drag to the map and control their visibility via the CT. Labeling the entries with an appropriate name means that when I (the DM) hover my mouse over the token on the map get a cool tooltip reminding me of which trap/hazard this particular beasty is.

You can take a similar approach using Story/Note entries and pinning them to the map, hovering over the pin will reveal a tooltip and the name of the linked item + you can then click the pin for an expanded description.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I did not know this. How wonderful to discover something new. This really is the best VTT by a very long way.

Interesting regarding the tooltip thing.

Another thing to consider if you're going to be writing the same text over and over, is making transparent tokens with the text you need. I do that in my game; the players have a scroll that displays an everchanging prophecy. I make up the verses as tokens. I don't know if that helps with your exact problem, but sometimes thinking outside the box allows for some cool things in FG.

Proud Graduate of Parallel University.

What Trenloe said is a better idea, but you can add text to a map, in a sense.

Click on the folder button on the Image window, find the image, right-click and choose Edit. Using your default image editor, paint the text where you want it. Save the image in the editor. Close the image in Fantasy Grounds, reopen it and re-share it with the players. Both you and the players should now be able to see the text since FG updates image changes immediately. Just don't resize the image when you do this, as it will register in FG as a different image and remove some assets like tokens, mask and pins.

This is not a good method of conveying text to the players, but it is an option (and can be used to add other images to the base image on the fly).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

What started as a pretty simple question is really keeping me riveted.

I've only recently started GMing (weekly 5E game at my FLGS). This past week I took my notebook with me and used FG to display images of monsters to the players and look up their stats (thank you, thank you SmiteWorks for getting us the 5E plugins).

I now see that I can use it for so much more, and strive to learn all I can, and maybe, one day, GM a game on FG/AL.

Until that time, I'm going to keep asking questions.

So, here's my next question: NylanFS said make a story entry and drag a pin to the map.

I now know how to create a story entry, as well as creating multiple little banners for different things/colors.

But how do I create a 'pin' to drag onto my map/drawing?

BoomerET
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images

Just like you you link things between other things, Drag the little red icon on the story item to the map. Hold CTRL while the map is up and you can see the pins on the map, click on the pin and it will open that story item. Then you can link the encounter inside the story item to bring up the encounter right quick if there is combat.

Thread Information