Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylock View Post
    Hey Immortals I'm back. This is what I do on my holiday, try to fix a software issue! Anyway, after days of following the above advice I am still unable to load a map into my Images folder of FG. Up front I'm running FG through steam using a Mac with Mavericks OSX.
    When I click on Images & Maps I get this screen:
    Attachment 10407

I cannot drag and drop anything into this window so I click on Folders and get this window:
    Attachment 10408

This is a Wine Explorer window, which I really don't get, but I use it to navigate into "wineskin" (going into the "macmini" user folder, which is the name of the computer I'm using, gives me the same directory as the "wineskin" folder) and down to the FG campaign I'm running (Godfall) and into the Images folder. But I still cannot drag and drop an image into this folder.

When I look at my Mac HD with Finder I cannot find the "wineskin" user that I see in the Wine Explorer window but there is a "macmini" user. However, there are not the same files within the "macmini" folder that are found when using Wine Explorer, as seen below.

Attachment 10409

I followed the instructions of Zeus on changing the app path settings from the launcher. I directed this path to a folder on my computer that contained an image, saved, restarted FG and clicked into Images & Maps but there was still nothing there. Likewise, anything dragged into this folder is not seen within Images&Maps.

Is FG even installed on my Mac?
    Do i have to change something within Steam?
    I'm confused and hope this is another example of me missing something simple.

Thanks FG Gods!
    Hey Graylock - in the absence of a better more qualifies mac user joining in at this time - if you like you can PM me and we can do a TeamViewer session and see if we can find out what is missing and get you on the right path. Our TimeZones dont align very nicely but we cross over a little it seems...

Thanks for the offer. Let me see what I can do with the latest info from Ddavidson first. If that don't fix it I'll let you know.

Cheers
    TheEldritchPress.com
    Editions 1st-5th since '79
    Running on a Mac. Yup, I'm one of those guys

I totally understand the challenges with cross-platform development and think that using Wine is a fantastic idea to achieve this. The problem, though, is that the assumption is that the user will be basically doing everything in terms of post-install set up. Maybe it's too much to ask, but it's really too bad that this app isn't even configured out of the box for use.

After watching the videos on the site I had a lot of interest in paying, but if I have to dig into a forum post after searching for 30 minutes, let me just say it doesn't give me a lot of hope that it's worth paying for. I am a programmer and a savvy user of all the platforms this app is supposed to run on. If it's difficult for me, I can't even imagine the hair-pulling that less-savvy users would have

If this is such a simple procedure, why isn't the app pre-configured this way on OSX?

I want to like this app. I want to *pay* for this app, if it worked as well as it seems it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Also, just to say that you can configure FG to use any folder you want for its app data path (Windows and Mac) - you don't have to live with the app data folder embedded in your FantasyGrounds.app file or in the default location for Windows platforms. Simply click the settings button on the Launcher and when the Settings panel appears edit the App path field to point to your preferred location. Then copy your old app data folder content over to the new path you specified and restart FG. Simples.

I have mine set to ~/Library/Application Support/FantasyGrounds - as ~/Library/Application Support/ is the default OSX path for user application data.

Quote Originally Posted by kalupa View Post
    I want to like this app. I want to *pay* for this app, if it worked as well as it seems it could.
    Try the FG free demo licence on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/252690/ No purchase necessary. This will allow you to try it out and see if it works OK for you.

This free/demo licence will also allow you to join a game ran by a GM with an ultimate licence, or any game at a FGDaze game day or a FG Con convention.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I experience the same issues with the Steam version as with a home-baked wineskin version. This is not an issue I experience with the Windows native version from Steam.

I searched my mac for the fantasy grounds.app and it doesn't show up.... i think i messed up when i uploaded the demo then purchased the game through there. can anyone help me with this issue cause i can't seem to find the folds to upload images and maps so i can start my campaign.

If you click on the Folder icon on the FG launch screen (upper right corner), it should open the FG data folder. Then, you can navigate to your campaign in the campaigns folder, and add the image to the images folder within the campaign.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you click on the Folder icon on the FG launch screen (upper right corner), it should open the FG data folder. Then, you can navigate to your campaign in the campaigns folder, and add the image to the images folder within the campaign.

Regards,
    JPG
    I dont think that works on the Mac because that opens a wineskinned explorer window which isnt usable by the mac finder.
    I jumped on with JoshuaBrennan42 and showed him how to find it.. i couldnt remember the details for Mac off the top of my head.

Basically what you do is -

Launch Steam - find Fantasy Grounds - right click and go to Properties. Go to Local Files tab -> Browse Local Files.
    Right Click FantasyGrounds.app -> Show Package Contents.
    The navigate roughly like:
    drive_c\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\[\campaignnname]\Images

I would make an Alias to Campaigns and place on the desktop for future use.

Thread Information