DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Working on getting the 7e rules converted for fun

Last edited by Treegreen; March 19th, 2015 at 03:56. Reason: Update 3/17
    Ultimate License Holder
    5e, Call of Cthulhu DM

Blog Entries
    TreeGreen - are you editing the existing ruleset or creating an extension?
    Creating an Extension is not a whole lot more difficult but will help you keep on top of your code and also keep it updated properly if/when there are changes to CoC ruleset in the future.

And... keep it up!

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

I made a copy of the ruleset and am messing around with it. Mostly because it's easier to see where everything is. I'm planning on eventually breaking it out into an extension if I can work out the hiccups.
    Ultimate License Holder
    5e, Call of Cthulhu DM

So, for anyone who is interested there aren't a whole lot of changes that have to occur. The files I've been messing with to get things updated are:

graphics_icons.xml
    strings_coc.xml
    record_char_main.xml
    record_char_skills.xml
    manager_era.lua
    manager_combat2.lua
    char_weaponlist.lua
    Last edited by Treegreen; March 16th, 2015 at 07:33.
    Ultimate License Holder
    5e, Call of Cthulhu DM

I'd be interesting in seeing how much changes from someone who is familiar with the systems. (I am not very familiar as I've played CoC only a few times, and it was a long time ago.)

If the changes are easy enough, I may be able to include as an in-ruleset option toggle.

Regards,
    JPG

The extension I created (linked in the first post) takes care of the big changes, but in a nutshell here is the difference:

They unified all the characteristics and skills on a comparable percentage scale. So, the damage bonus range is a bit broader, and there is a new stat called Build that is linked to the same table. Basically, you do some math early in the game (e.g. roll 3d6x5 for abilities like STR, DEX, CON) and then take 1/2 that value and 1/5 that value and use those three numbers to play the game. My favorite part is the resistance table (6e and earlier) is gone. Now you just roll some opposed checks, aka player vs creature, and move on. So, it helps if the NPCs can roll from their stats (I added it in the extension).

6e stats are basically the 1/5 value. So, if you wanted you could easily convert a 6e character to a 7e character by multiplying the abilities by 5 for their full values and then dividing by 2 for the 1/2 values. Subsequently a few other things change as a result, for example you now Divide your Dex by 2 to get your Dodge score. The only other thing would be fixing the ruleset in general to populate the rolled NPC stats when they're added to the combat tracker instead of having to roll them by hand or use the average. Multiplication is involved so, it'd need to be able to do like 2d6+30x5.

A lot of skills were amalgamated. Knowledge and Idea were rolled into Education. The sanity stat is gone and instead you determine your starting sanity as = to your POW score. Rifle/Shotgun are the same thing instead of separate. Ect. So, for the extension, I decided the easiest thing to do would be to have people just add the abilities themselves from the correct category instead of having the skill listed directly on the sheet. Which, for all intents and purposes, is how 7th edition does it any way. Combat skills in particular have been really condensed. Like in 6e you have a seperate skill for kick, punch, headbutt, and so on but in 7e you'd just use the "brawl" skill.
    Last edited by Treegreen; March 19th, 2015 at 10:21.
    Ultimate License Holder
    5e, Call of Cthulhu DM

Thread Information