STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Creating a new Item (weapon, in this case)

Ok, so you're playing through a campaign, and someone has been kind enough to provide you with Item entries for most (but not all) the loot that comes available in the campaign. Eventually, though, you get to an NPC that has some loot that appears on his NPC sheet, but for which there is/are no corresponding Item entry(ies)...

For example, Koruvus (RotRL) has, on his NPC sheet: Gear +1 longsword, silver dagger, masterwork handaxe

So, after the heroes dispatch Koruvus, and loot his grotesque body, I want those items to be available to them... So, that means creating Items, yes?

So, I look at the FG Wiki under PFRPG, and Item Sheet, and I see:

3.5E Item Sheet

See the Campaign Data topic for basic information on campaign data list management and item records.

The item record in the 3.5E ruleset consists of a single list of fields describing the item. The fields available in the record are directly tied to the value of the Type field. If the Type field is set to Weapon or Armor, then additional fields will become available
    and, whaddya know... that's all there is.

Alrighty, then. So I go to the Items tab, and bring up the Items and click on the 'edit' symbol to 'create' an item. So far, so good. The blank, '<< New Item >>' window appears... hmmm...

Type? Subtype? Maybe I should look at the 'Item Sheet' documentation... oh, yeah, I already did (above). Well, at least I know (according to that documentation) that the Type field can be set to, at least, Weapon or Armor. So, I type 'Weapon' in the Type field, and, sure enough, additional, though still undocumented, fields open up! Whoo hoo! But I'm no closer to knowing what 'Subtype' is. But, wait! Maybe all this will be made clear in the Rule Book...

So, I turn to page 144 of the Rule Book, and I see 'Weapon Qualities'. Here (and on the previous table) I find useful info that appears to correlate directly with the fields on the Item: Cost, Dmg, Critical, Range, Weight, Type... Uh oh, I'm already confused. I've already specified the Type... it's a Weapon. But in the Rule Book, the Type refers to the:

type of damage they deal: B for bludgeoning, P for piercing, or S for slashing. Some monsters may be resistant or immune to attacks from certain types of weapons. Some weapons deal damage of multiple types. If a weapon causes two types of damage, the type it deals is not half one type and half another; all damage caused is of both types. Therefore, a creature would have to be immune to both types of damage to ignore any of the damage caused by such a weapon. In other cases, a weapon can deal either of two types of damage. In a situation where the damage type is significant, the wielder can choose which type of damage to deal with such a weapon.
    So now what do I do? Oh,well, continuing, the Rule Book then refers to a Special quality, and that doesn't even appear on the Item sheet. Where will I put that?

hmmm... Well, back to the 'type' question... on the Item sheet, we do have Damage Type, so I guess that correlates. However, the Item sheet also has Properties... what's that? Searching for 'propert' beginning at page 144 turns up nothing. So, what am I supposed to put in there, I wonder?

Then there's the, apparently, Magical properties: Bonus, Aura, Caster Level, and Craft Prereq. Those can probably be inferred... but, that's not the point, is it? Why aren't they DEFINED!!!!!

arraglsdkgajkl;sdgjlasdjgjadgl;

And then, there's a blank box at the bottom of the Item sheet... I wonder what that is for? I guess, since the authors never bothered to document it, I'll never know.

Oh, and if that isn't confusing, and incomplete, enough, when I go to the Library, and pull up the PFRPG Basic Rules, and navigate to Weapons, and find the 'Longsword', and click on it, I get something that resembles an Item sheet (it has 5 fields that correlate: Cost, Weight, Damage, Damage Type, Critical), but then it has, in Brackets:

[Weapon; Martial One-Handed Melee]

Is that syntactically significant? The Item sheet I'm trying to create doesn't bear anything with that syntax.

What would have been nice would have been if, upon bringing up a weapon from the Library, I ended up with something I could make a copy of, and then modify like I wanted. But, alas, the 'lock' symbol is missing, and those are not editable.

So, there's my RANT. There's a lot in there.

Very Frustrating.

- s.west
    Last edited by swest; March 3rd, 2015 at 23:20.

Blog Entries
    Copy one of your pre-existing items...
    Unfortunately Syntax is very important and not very well documented all in the one place.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    What would have been nice would have been if, upon bringing up a weapon from the Library, I ended up with something I could make a copy of, and then modify like I wanted. But, alas, the 'lock' symbol is missing, and those are not editable.
    Don't rant. Drag the item from the library to your items list in the campaign - then you can edit it.

Also, things very often aren't "DEFINED" because the fields are the exact fields that are taken from the actual RPG rules - look up magic items in the PFRPG rules and you'll get your answers: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/...m-descriptions

The purpose of these rulesets are to allow you to play the game, not to teach you how to play the game and replace reading of the rulebook. Yes, we know there are gaps in the FG documentation, but if you can't find something that is more than likely ruleset specific (like items, NPCs, PCs, etc.) in the FG wiki or in the forums then look for examples in the library modules and then look in the RPG rulebook.

And some friendly advice - if you keep doing lengthy rants then less and less people are going to bother to read your posts and give you feedback. From my point of view they aren't much fun to read, so I'll probably stop reading them soon. I appreciate you're obviously frustrated, but if you want help then please ask for it in a (shorter) and less bitching manner.

If you just want to RANT then please put in the first line "RANT: No need to read." Thanks. ;-)
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Drop a copy of the weapon into your Items list or a Parcel, then edit that.

Typing Weapon into the Type box will change the sheet to fit a weapon, but the subtype is only for reference.

The important things for you to change are to add the word "masterwork" to the properties box of a mwk weapon (do NOT do this for a magical weapon), or to mark the bonus as "1" and add "magic" to the damage types for a +1 weapon.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see the changes and that FG parses them correctly. For silver, you'll need to add "silver" to the damage types and subtract 1 from damage for edged weapons.

Attachment 9267
    Attachment 9266
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    And some friendly advice - if you keep doing lengthy rants then less and less people are going to bother to read your posts and give you feedback. From my point of view they aren't much fun to read, so I'll probably stop reading them soon
    Hmmm... Yeah, I see your point. I'll try to do better. You all have put in a lot of work on this product that I have benefited from, and answered a lot of my questions. I'd hate to lose all that.

Here's what I should have asked:

Could someone please point me to the complete Fantasy Grounds, Pathfinder Ruleset, Product Documentation that describes how to complete, and then use, the 'Item' entry in the context of the Fantasy Grounds VTT System?

Specifically, I'm looking for any documentation that describes:

• How the 'Item' entry can contribute to any automation features of Fantasy Grounds
    • How the 'Item' entry fields correlate or diverge from the Pathfinder Rules for the various Items that can be encoded
    • Any syntactic requirements for field entry

Thank you.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    Copy one of your pre-existing items...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Drag the item from the library to your items list in the campaign
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir Scout
    Drop a copy of the weapon into your Items list or a Parcel
    I tried dragging, but kept dragging the wrong thing to the wrong place, and nothing would happen. And, eventually, I had enough of that.

I just performed the drag'n'drop, per your instructions, and it worked like I wanted it to.

Thank you.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir Scout View Post
    Typing Weapon into the Type box will change the sheet to fit a weapon, but the subtype is only for reference.

The important things for you to change are to add the word "masterwork" to the properties box of a mwk weapon (do NOT do this for a magical weapon), or to mark the bonus as "1" and add "magic" to the damage types for a +1 weapon.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see the changes and that FG parses them correctly. For silver, you'll need to add "silver" to the damage types and subtract 1 from damage for edged weapons.
    (attachments)
    Very helpful.

Thanks.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Unfortunately Syntax is very important and not very well documented all in the one place.
    That assuages my frustration.

Thanks.

- s.west

Also for costs and descriptions and damage and such you can create the item in PCGen, and then just copy and paste damage values, costs, descriptinons etc.

Ok, using all the guidance I received in this thread, I was able to create the loot I wanted, and drop it onto the Party Sheet Inventory.

Thanks, all.

- s.west

Thread Information