5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Time confusion?

Blog Entries

Time confusion?

Hi!

I am a bit disoriented about start times now. AFAIK times originally were keying of UTC, which I equate with GMT. According to my original planning, ShotGun Jolly's events should have started 22:30 -> 23:30 in Europe (GMT +1). Now they are starting deep into the night.

Did I miss another of those idiot Summer Savings Time changes?

That would in fact mean (damned did ask, but I thought I was one hour earlier) I'd love to shift my own All for One - Régime Diabolique Musketeer session one hour "back"...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Hi!

I am a bit disoriented about start times now. AFAIK times originally were keying of UTC, which I equate with GMT. According to my original planning, ShotGun Jolly's events should have started 22:30 -> 23:30 in Europe (GMT +1). Now they are starting deep into the night.

Did I miss another of those idiot Summer Savings Time changes?

That would in fact mean (damned did ask, but I thought I was one hour earlier) I'd love to shift my own All for One - Régime Diabolique Musketeer session one hour "back"...
    Asta - use the folowing site to make sure your times are right for that date: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html
    Go back in and update your event if it needs changing - it will unpublish itself for an hour or two until it is reviewed and republished.
    If you have bookings for the event (and you do have 2 waiting for approval) please email them and advise them to recheck the time and your schedule.

regards
    Damian

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the fuss.

I contacted both and set the adventure to the time originally intended (which also avoids the overlap with Jolly's Savage Worlds session afterwards). Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Asta - use the folowing site to make sure your times are right for that date: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html
    Go back in and update your event if it needs changing - it will unpublish itself for an hour or two until it is reviewed and republished.
    If you have bookings for the event (and you do have 2 waiting for approval) please email them and advise them to recheck the time and your schedule.

regards
    Damian

I moved this to a new thread - out of the thread specifically for PFS games at FG Con.

Two things to keep in mind:
    1. As a GM, when you create an event you will be entering the time in UTC 0 (GMT) - so you need to be aware of what that means for you at the time of the convention. Use the link damned gave above.
    2. Once your event is published, the event list etc. will adjust the time relevant to the time zone you set in your user profile. The time zone label will be shown after the times in a single event listing and at the top of the whole event list.

So, a good idea is to double-check once your event is published to see if the adjusted time is the time you think.

AstaSyneri - ShotgunJolly changed the time of his event from the one originally posted, that is why it suddenly jumped to the middle of the night for you. And remember that you will be in daylight savings for the convention, so you will be in GMT+2 at that point, not GMT+1.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    *shakes fist at Jolly* ;-)

Oh well, at least I am not totally out of my mind. Yes, everything is settled now. Got a feedback from the first of my players and he says the new time fits him even better. Plus now people can actually play both SW offerings without overlap.

All is good now.

Ok a little confused.. I registerd and in the process changed my TZ to GMT. Signed up for a game at the the top of the listing its states....

"All dates and time have been adjusted to time-zone GMT"

Yet in my booking details it states .."Saturday, April 18 2015, 22:30 – 00:30 (UTC Times – please confirm the time in YOUR location)"

Which one is it?

Martin
    GM for over 20 years

Preferred Systems, Savage Worlds, 5e, Pathfinder, Numenera, Pendragon, The One Ring

Blog Entries
    Managing Times across multiple TimeZones is incredibly complex.
    When you visit the FG Con website and View the Events list https://www.fg-con.com/events/ or YOUR bookings https://www.fg-con.com/events/my-bookings/ you will see the times correctly in your TimeZone if you have your TZ setup n your profile.

The Emails send out the time in UTC - we have not yet implemented the ability for the email bookings to search your TZ data from your profile and update the data sent - hence the notification that the Email Link is in UTC.

Thanks for joining in!

Yes, time is a complicated ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey stuff indeed.

Don't feel too bad. It would be better if only there was sort of, I don't know, coordinated universal time that everyone could gauge off of! (I kid.)

I've only met 2 people in the US that actually understand that their time zones don't change values in daylight savings time, their area changes time zones! MST is MST all the time, it doesn't become MDT.

Quote Originally Posted by etropic View Post
    I've only met 2 people in the US that actually understand that their time zones don't change values in daylight savings time, their area changes time zones! MST is MST all the time, it doesn't become MDT.
    Yeah, but you're talking about Americans; is it any wonder? <ducks for cover as he puts on his asbestos suite>
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thread Information