FG Spreadshirt Swag

Would someone who Knows please clean up the 3.5E Effects page on the FG Wiki?

[This started out as a PM to one of our resident experts, but I ran out of characters... 5000 character limit]

Greetings,

Could someone with expert knowledge (Moon Wizard? Trenloe?) please visit the 3.5E Effects page and rework some of the introductory and instructional text at the top (before the Conditions table)?

Using Effect Features in Your Game

Effects in the 3.5E ruleset can be very complex, once you decide to take advantage of all of the functionality available. Many [all?] features provided in this section can be handled manually by calculations done by the players and GM, just like sitting around the gaming table. It is recommended that you slowly add effect capabilities to your game until the comfort level of you and your players has been reached.

While effects can be entered manually, the effects system was also designed to pull the effect information directly from the power description text [what is 'power description text', and where do you find it?] by parsing the words. Just enter the text [enter it where?] in the exact same format as the core rulebooks [is this where you find 'power description text'?], or drop the powers [drop them where?] from your own data modules [what's a 'data module'?].

The effect system was built to handle 90% of the situations [what situations?]. 3.5E can be a very complex game, as it is built using exception-based game design principles. With all the exceptions that are defined by powers, and the primary focus of the effects support was for the core rulebooks (PHB, DMG, MM); there will be some powers and effects that will not be able to be represented in the current version of the ruleset. [That entire sentence has problems.]

For example, effects that expire on the target's initiative will need to be adjusted manually, since applied effects always use the effect originator's initiative.

Campaign Effects

In addition to the basic label and visibility fields [basic to what? what is a 'label'?], the 3.5E ruleset adds a few more capabilities [adds to what?]. The effect label can contain one or more modifiers or conditions that adjust rolls made by that CT actor. Additionally, an effect expenditure toggle button and duration fields[?? not a sentence ??]

Expenditure: By default, an effect is applied to all future rolls until the duration expires. The expenditure button can be toggled to Action, Roll or Singles as well. If set to Action, the effect will be applied to the next relevant action (set of rolls)(i.e. area of effect attack rolls as a set). If set to Roll, the effect will be applied to the next relevant single roll. If set to Singles, each component of the effect will be applied once when relevant, then removed. (See below for effect label components.)
    Duration: The duration consists of two fields indicating a numerical value and a unit period (round, minute, hour, day). If the numerical duration is zero (or empty), then the effect does not expire.

Combat Tracker

When an effect is applied to an actor in the combat tracker, in addition to the fields added in Campaign Effects, a few additional fields have been added.

Active State: By default, an effect is set to always be active (i.e. On). The active state can be toggled to Skip or Off. If set to Skip, the next application of the effect will be skipped, and then the effect will be set to On again. If set to Off, the effect will no longer be applied to rolls, but will remain in the CT.
    Duration: When the main duration field is set to Start/End Turn values, an additional field will be shown to track the initiative number when the duration should start/end.
    Applied By: The active actor will be used as the source actor of an effect, and shown in the lower right of the effect entry. If no actor is active, then this field is hidden. To set the source actor of an effect, drag the name field of a CT actor onto the label field of a CT effect entry. The source is usually just informational, but may occasionally be used to support advanced effects (such as Marked). Click on the Applied By field to clear the source actor.
    Targets: By default, effects are applied to relevant rolls for all targets. However, some effect components can be targeted (such as attack and damage modifiers). A targeting button is shown next to each effect entry, and can be dragged onto a CT entry or CT-linked token to specify that the effect is targeted to a specific actor or set of actors. Additional options to target all allies or enemies are available by right-clicking on the targeting button. The Targets field is hidden unless targets are defined. Click on the Targets field to clear the targets.

[Very (!) well written, and completely understandable.]

Effect Label Features

In the 3.5E ruleset, conditions and modifiers can be embedded into the effect label [Again, 'label' has never been defined, either syntactically or semantically.] in order to modify rolls made by the actor.

Each description, condition or modifier needs needs to be separated by a semi-colon within the effect label, and these are called effect components. Effect components that do not start with a modifier tag or a condition tag are treated as descriptive text only. [strike the extra 'needs', but more importantly, provide an example right here please.]

One of the things that I'm saying here is that, in addition to a few obvious grammatical errors, there are, unnecessarily, too many assumptions made about the reader's previous experience or knowledge. Clearly, some prior knowledge is necessary. For example, in the 'Combat Tracker' section, it is completely appropriate to assume that the reader knows what the Combat Tracker is (although this is hypertext, so a link would be nice).

On the other hand in the 'Campaign Effects' section, reference is made to the 'basic label and visibility fields'. This is the first occurrence of the terms 'label' and 'visibility' on this page, and yet they are referred to as if the reader is already familiar with them.

To draw a clear distinction between these two examples, the Combat Tracker is not the topic being elucidated on this page, but the terms 'label' and 'visibility' are, and should be put into context or defined.

The other thing about this page that I would like to see improved is its adherence to a few basic principles of technical writing (in addition to the previously alluded to 'define your terms'). I think that the majority of the section is devoid of any attention to convention (excepting the 'Combat Tracker' section, which reads like a well-written technical manual.)

Anyway, that's it. Don't beat up the messenger. When I read something that purports to provide me with instruction and understanding of a subject, that's what I want it to do, especially when the subject is complex or arcane.

Thanks.

- s.west

p.s. I would take on a rewrite of the page under discussion, but it would require access to someone that Knows.
    Last edited by swest; February 1st, 2015 at 11:46.

I feel your pain - my own Players had a similar reaction which is one reason I went ahead and produced my FG Tutorial Videos (and am still producing them, although slowly).

While I've got access to modify the Wiki I'm reluctant to go ahead and do it as I don't want to step on anyone's fingers - but in all honesty the FG documentation is, IMNSHO, sub-standard - but then again, show me a piece of software who's doco isn't!

(I know, I know - there is some good stuff out there, but that's generally the exception, not the rule).

I think one of the main reasons things are the way they are is because the SW Devs don't have a lot of time and they're spending most or all of it on developing, not writing doco - I know writing doco for my own Extensions is probably the least "fun" thing I do.

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; February 1st, 2015 at 12:14.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Mr West - that is currently the best way to add to the Wiki - write up a piece and submit it.
    Whilst the doco is sparse there is a format the doco needs to be in but if the doco is good it will be reformatted and added/updated to the Wiki.

Adding good material to the Wiki is an awesome way to help out your fellow gamers.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I think one of the main reasons things are the way they are is because the SW Devs don't have a lot of time and they're spending most or all of it on developing, not writing doco - I know writing doco for my own Extensions is probably the least "fun" thing I do.
    Completely understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    ... write up a piece and submit it ..
    Roger that.

I've been worrying about how to get critical review for completeness and accuracy, but maybe I can just put the edits in <this> thread, and all you uber-smart guys can comment.

Then, when we think it's finished, I'll get it submitted.

Ok, thanks.

- s.west

I've made some minor updates to the 3.5E and 5E effects pages based on swest's comments.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...p/3.5E_Effects
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects

Cheers,
    JPG

Thanks MW!

Just those few clarifications and term modifications make things a lot clearer...

I still hope to be able to contribute in this area, but I have a long way to go toward a comprehensive and authoritative understanding of Effects.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

Blog Entries
    Good work swest. Dont be shy - there is plenty more out there

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Thread Information