DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 9 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Those look a bit small for Starfinder Space Combat.

But they are cool...
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Those look a bit small for Starfinder Space Combat.
    In what way? I have been scratching my head over how to do the starships to hex size. Eg: do I want capital ships to fit in one hex, but doing that will make non-capital ships tiny (eg: fighters). Or should have have two scales? One for large capital ships and one for small fighters? I'm leaning towards having two scales.

I don't have the rules for StarFinder just yet... I'm planning to get the PDF rules soon. But I also want to be able to use the material for rules systems such as Fragged. Which is another PDF rule book I plan to get...
    Last edited by Tailz Silver Paws; October 8th, 2018 at 01:33.
    Tailz, the Artist of Studio WyldFurr
    Follow Studio WyldFurr on Twitter, Facebook, and the studio web site.
    "The London Underground, is not a resistance movement!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailz Silver Paws View Post
    In what way? I have been scratching my head over how to do the starships to hex size. Eg: do I want capital ships to fit in one hex, but doing that will make non-capital ships tiny (eg: fighters). Or should have have two scales? One for large capital ships and one for small fighters? I'm leaning towards having two scales.

I don't have the rules for StarFinder just yet... I'm planning to get the PDF rules soon. But I also want to be able to use the material for rules systems such as Fragged. Which is another PDF rule book I plan to get...
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...re-on-MoreCore
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post397937

So some of the ships have a move of more than 10 hexes. I was talking about the number of hexes on the map one way seemed a bit small in number..
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    So some of the ships have a move of more than 10 hexes. I was talking about the number of hexes on the map one way seemed a bit small in number..
    Yea, agree with madman on this. I also don't know StarFinder, but I can say with Star Frontiers (the old TSR game) ship combat is often 20-30 hexes per turn, and with some ships taking 2 turns to make a u-turn... lots of hexes (40x60) are something of a necessity. (And planets are only a single hex in that game system).

But these are beautiful maps, just don't know what scale they need to be. (Note, StarFinder would be a better rule system to worry about the scale of, Star Frontiers is extremely niche.)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yea, agree with madman on this. I also don't know StarFinder, but I can say with Star Frontiers (the old TSR game) ship combat is often 20-30 hexes per turn, and with some ships taking 2 turns to make a u-turn... lots of hexes (40x60) are something of a necessity.
    Hhhmmmm.....

(And planets are only a single hex in that game system).
    I've always considered planets to be "background" elements to space battles. The idea of a space ship being able to move fast enough as to use a planet as "cover" is a bit ludicrous when you think about it. So I have included more "moons" than planet tokens, although I have included planet tokens because I know people would want them... where I'd not too keen on planet tokens. I'd rather have a planet as past of the background that a space battle is happening in the sky above.

But these are beautiful maps, just don't know what scale they need to be. (Note, StarFinder would be a better rule system to worry about the scale of, Star Frontiers is extremely niche.)
    That is what gets me too... the scale to use. On one hand I want people to be able to use capital ships, but then the scale for capital ships would make Fighters tiny little dots. But if you make the fighters large, the capital ships become giants and unplayable (as far as pixels on a screen).

In reference to Starfinder only- while accounting for capital ships is a nice to have, there has not been much by way of opportunity to encounter capital ships in either the adventure paths or Society scenarios to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    In reference to Starfinder only- while accounting for capital ships is a nice to have, there has not been much by way of opportunity to encounter capital ships in either the adventure paths or Society scenarios to date.
    Oh? So mostly just fighter on fighter? Because the problem is sorta like what you see in the attached sample. Four fighters having a dog fight by the side of a fighter Carrier Capital Ship....

sample-space-map-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tailz Silver Paws View Post
    Hhhmmmm.....

I've always considered planets to be "background" elements to space battles. The idea of a space ship being able to move fast enough as to use a planet as "cover" is a bit ludicrous when you think about it. So I have included more "moons" than planet tokens, although I have included planet tokens because I know people would want them... where I'd not too keen on planet tokens. I'd rather have a planet as past of the background that a space battle is happening in the sky above.

That is what gets me too... the scale to use. On one hand I want people to be able to use capital ships, but then the scale for capital ships would make Fighters tiny little dots. But if you make the fighters large, the capital ships become giants and unplayable (as far as pixels on a screen).
    Why are you worried about scale? After all, if a moon was a full hex object even a capital ship would be a speck. People are used to size simplifications. A person doesn’t take a 5 ft square nor does an ogre take a 10 foot square. Those are abstractions to deal with simulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Why are you worried about scale?
    Because... I'm fussy! :P

Fighters and capital ships being the same size, even if the dynamics are abstract, is still... weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    After all, if a moon was a full hex object even a capital ship would be a speck. People are used to size simplifications. A person doesn’t take a 5 ft square nor does an ogre take a 10 foot square. Those are abstractions to deal with simulations.
    Yeah... this is true, but it just is odd looking to me. Meh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread Information