5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hit points stoping when at 0

Hello,

I am curious if there is a way to make it so that damage applied to npc or pc will continue even though the max is met. I need these feature for the druid in my party...when his creature dies I need to know how much to carry over. preferably with out having to stop and do the math manually.

Something as simple as text in the chat window that says bear is hit for x damage y damage past current hp

Why according to 5E when you hit 0 damage your suppose to stop. There is no negatives any more, its just zero. (page 196 PHB Hit Points)
    Last edited by Manchine; December 8th, 2014 at 06:32.

Druids change back to their original form and all excess damage leftover from attack is applied to the caster.

So if he is using a separate token for bear form for example which is pulled from the par5ed Monster Manual, and no one remembers the exact number of hit points the bear had before the attack.
    You can see this could be a problem.

The only other option i can think of is to create an effect for each form that increases the physical characteristics of the caster and applies the HP from the form as temporary HP.
    To do this you would also have to make attacks for the caster as well that match the new forms statistics in the casters action tab.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the druids shape change, that is easy to manipulate ?
    Although using the actual monster token is really nice for eye candy and simplicity.

So, i thought this over....

Create new NPC for each Form the druid takes.
    Change the HP of the form to the druids actual HP.
    Add Temporary HP = to the Animals HP.
    Create powers for the form that the druid is capable of doing.
    Any healing spells that the druid can use in the form on himself will have to be in the form of temporary HP.

The only drawback is that you need to know the max Temp HP, so the hit points don't go over the forms max.

anyone have any suggestions?

This seems overly complicated to me. Don't bother with the other forms, just have the player change his portrait into what he changes into and add temp HP equal to the form's hps. Healing is still weird but the animal isn't that likely to get cured too often. Then when the player runs out of temps you know the animal died and it will automatically take off the overage from his real HP. Have the druid make some attacks on his sheet like Wolf bite, etc. Best of all the player can manage all this without bothering the DM.
    Last edited by Griogre; December 10th, 2014 at 03:37.

Looks like an effect is the way to go for now Kelendros78.

Honestly I am thinking that the way to go is to modify the ruleset to not stop counting when the max HP is reached. or to mod the damage out put in the chat box to tell how much damage carries over. can anyone point me in the right direction for way to modify the ruleset?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelendros78 View Post
    can anyone point me in the right direction for way to modify the ruleset?
    Look in the 5E ruleset, scripts\manager_action_damage.lua. The messageDamage function outputs the damage information to the chat window. The data used comes from the previous (and fairly long) function applyDamage.

If you haven't looked into modifying a ruleset before, this thread might be of use (substitute 5E instead of 3.5E): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-PFRPG-ruleset

In the end you'd want to make this an extension, but that above thread should point you in the right direction to get you started with trying it out yourself.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Now I have a great little project for the weekend. Thanks I really appreciate your time and for the tips

Ok so I had a great time learning lua and I have modded my 5e ruleset to out put when there is damage carrying over...do I need to give this ruleset to the players of my game? I don't see a way to make this an extension honestly since it goes straight to the core of the ruleset

Thread Information