Starfinder Playlist

Thread: Damage Type Bug

Damage Type Bug

The last update fixed an issue with no-dice damage amounts not functioning properly. From what I see, this is indeed fixed but it cleared the way for my group to find another bug. Or rather a limitation; I'm not sure where the line would be on this.

Damage was applied to two creatures with damage reduction (PF ruleset, though I doubt it matters). The damage was static, but with the update the DR no longer reduces the amount. One creature saved and was to take half damage. The player halved the damage using the radial menu for the damage number itself. He then dragged it to the third target to apply the half damage. DR took a chunk out of the damage (which was typed 'fire' and checked as spell damage). After a couple tries I manually adjusted the hp of the creature and we moved on.

Unless there is something else that I didn't notice, it seems the damage types are removed when a damage value is dragged and dropped. The chat entry for the first damage amount stated fire and spell as damage types while the second dragged value stated nothing as a damage type. Not sure if damage type is data that is supposed to stick to drag-and-dropped values but it would be helpful if it did.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Can anyone verify that this is indeed a bug and not working as intended?

I just tested this on my test set up by dragging fire damage from the combat tracker attack line ("test attack +12 (15 fire)") onto a Nalfeshnee I added from the PFRPG Bestiary. I also tried dragging the damage from the chat window both before and after halving. It appeared to resist the fire damage correctly.

Can you provide me steps to recreate what you are seeing in a new campaign using NPCs? Or I might have to get a copy of campaign and details on how to recreate.

Regards,
    JPG

Now, with the same setup, add a zombie (DR 5/slashing) to the combat tracker and try to apply the damage from the chat window after halving.

I did the following to recreate this:
    Create a new campaign
    Create two NPCs
    Give one an effect "DR: 5 slashing"
    Give the other one an attack entry in the combat tracker "test attack +12 (15 fire)"
    Make the NPC with DR the target of the NPC with an attack
    Double click the damage to apply the damage (works fine)
    In the chat window, right-click and half the 15 fire damage
    Drag the 7 fire damage to NPC with DR (only 2 fire damage will go through as 5 is blocked by DR)

The damage type in the chat window of the first damage roll will be [TYPE: fire (15)]. The damage type of the halved damage won't even be there.

Perfect. Got it queued up for next 3.0.10 beta release.

JPG

Much obliged.

Thread Information