DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 17 of 22 First ... 71516171819 ... Last
    Hi,

I need just a little advice on doing something a bit different and you may be able to help.

I need to take some of the XML that I've created as part of my stories and extract the data (including all the referenced data like spells, feat, etc) as a PDF for handouts to players. It's pretty much a simple Heading is heading. Body is body. References are links. And the references are printed out as supllimentary information, much like you do with spells on the character sheets.

Could you advise of how this could be done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovrin View Post
    Hi,

I need just a little advice on doing something a bit different and you may be able to help.

I need to take some of the XML that I've created as part of my stories and extract the data (including all the referenced data like spells, feat, etc) as a PDF for handouts to players. It's pretty much a simple Heading is heading. Body is body. References are links. And the references are printed out as supllimentary information, much like you do with spells on the character sheets.

Could you advise of how this could be done?
    The ways I've played around with doing this is to play with importing the XML into Excel or Word. But you have to come up with a DTD file that converts the format for you.

You can Google it some and you can also Google how to convert XML to a PDF, as it is a similar process.

You can also look at the 5E FG PArser from kp911, as his does this but in the opposite direction (from formatted text to FG).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The data is stored as formatted data for fantasy grounds.
    You can create a tool to format the data in some other format but that is not the purpose of FG and its not something that FG does.
    You can open the db.xml in a web browser and you will see some of the data and in some basic layout - you may be able to copy and paste from there into your google doc or onenote file to share with players.
    It will be a manual process and would require massaging.
    It also wont share/show purchased content as that is encrypted in the modules.

I'm having no luck with this tool right now. I've trying to extract the characters but they just come out with a blank sheet. Help!?

Edit: NM ... realised the problem. Needed to use the export function in the character. Still learning.
    Last edited by Tovrin; January 11th, 2018 at 22:21.

Just wanted to say that I used this site today - 3/18/2018 and it worked just fine.
    https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx

This can be done with Python (not sure if you know how to code or not). I personally wouldn't go to a pdf I find the word libraries easier to use and you can print a word document just as easy as a pdf. I have made something that generates an npcs stats and then creates a word document of NPCs using python. Reading the xml into python shouldn't be too hard, again if you know python.

Actually PHP might be easier with this library (https://github.com/PHPOffice/PHPWord) that way you can have a web form to upload the db.xml file. There was another forum post where someone has a site builder that created a site for a campaign based on the db.xml file. i think it was this one https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...=campaign+site

Great tool, thanks!

Question: When using the tool on the Mac, the resultant text on the character sheet doesn't correctly align with the visual elements on the page. For example, the stats aren't centered in their ovals. Is there a known PDF viewer that would fix this?

Printing your character

Hi,

I loved using the printing your character utility from this site.

https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx

Since the latest update it no longer accepts the xml files.
    Any idea why, or if there is anything I can do to the file to be able to use that utility again?

Thanks.

Booker

Thread Information