5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Voice or Text?

VenomousFiligree

Voice or Text?

What games seem to do best at FG Cons, voice based or text based.

I'd like to run a 5e introduction, text based with OOC Q&A over voice.

The main thing about text based games is that they take longer - which is no problem for an ongoing campaign or a session with flexible length. Convention games *have* to finish within a specific timeframe and this can make it harder to play a good, solid adventure from start to finish within the session time slot if using text for the main communication. If there is a particularly slow typer in the group then the game is in danger of not completing satisfactorily or that player misses out as they can't keep up as the GM has to keep the pace of the game going in order to finish on time.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

VenomousFiligree
    But if it was was an introduction game that might take 2 hours at the table and with OOC questions being handled by voice, in a four hour slot...?

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousFiligree View Post
    But if it was was an introduction game that might take 2 hours at the table and with OOC questions being handled by voice, in a four hour slot...?
    It's up to the GM to be able to pace the game and be flexible if time is running short. That's the case for all convention GMs but more so for a primarily text based game. It is also much harder to predict ahead of time how much time it will take. In a voice game you can estimate a conversation with an NPC takes 5-10 minutes talking, in a text based games this could be 30 minutes+. You won't know the players ahead of time, so you don't know their typing speeds, their command of the English language (even if it's their first language), etc..

A 2 hour face-to-face game *may* be OK running primarily text based. I'd recommend preparing some optional encounters that you can run if you have time, but skip if you don't. But, with a 2 hour introductory game you're probably limited in the number you have anyway. To help speed the game along the GM will need to prepare, prepare, prepare - have the majority of text you will use already entered (either in FG or in a document you can copy from and paste into FG) - this, at least, will help speed up the GMs side of data input.

Something to think about: in a voice based game the GM speaks for conversations/location descriptions, etc. (and can easily adapt what they're saying/describing based off the situation), and (in theory) the players understand immediately and can respond right away. For a text based game if the GM needs to modify text before sending to the players there is the time for that to happen, then the time needed for the players to read and digest the text, then the time needed for the players to type their response, then the time for the GM to collate those responses and start typing the reply... This can be 4-5 times longer than a voice based game - especially if it is a conversation with an NPC.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

VenomousFiligree
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    You won't know the players ahead of time, so you don't know their typing speeds, their command of the English language (even if it's their first language), etc..
    Does this not apply equally to voice? If someone has pigeon English (in an English language game), then that too makes for a longer game (I've been there!).

And arguably those players with hard accents to understand might be excellent texters, being used to posting in English language forums...

Oh and I'm fully aware of the pros and cons of text v voice in normal VT games

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousFiligree View Post
    Oh and I'm fully aware of the pros and cons of text v voice in normal VT games
    OK, I obviously went off topic and didn't answer your original question.

Voice games do better at FG con - you'll appeal to a wider audience.

Blog Entries
    We have stated that all FG Con games are voice.
    If you are confident of your timeslot and you make it very clear in the description - 1st line statement and perhaps further explained within the description we will publish the game.
    I would suggest that you do advertise the TEXT ONLY nature of your roleplaying as a MAJOR FEATURE of your session.
    Whilst not nearly as popular as Voice games there is a sizeable number of players who do prefer Text for various reasons.
    Im in favour of you running this session providing its very clear and you are comfortable that you can run in your advertised time.
    It is ok to end your game early - it is less satisfactory for the participants but sometimes it happens.

Voice games will do better as they seem more accessible. I'm going to be trying a mix this time, probably adventurous as I'm also trying out two new systems for this convention. The plan is to use voice chat for gathering on the board, connecting, introductions and basic FG/system intro, then switch to text for the game.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Blog Entries
    Please do make it clear in your description. Just like some people refuse to play Voice games some refuse to play Text games.
    Voice is preferred but I am keen to see a Text game go ahead so long as everyone knows what to expect.
    Text is still a niche group of players that are catered to by Fantasy Grounds better than any other product out there - and as has been raised may times - Text can be very immersive with a group who are capable of keeping up via Text.

The location of my PC means I can't use voice but text only has worked fine on the two FG con games I have run.
    Borusa32

Thread Information