DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 12 First 1234 ... Last
    Hi I'm very new to FG and trying to see if I can get TOR to be my first FG game. I downloaded all of files in the Google Drive that were created for TOR.
    I have a Mac Pro and purchased FG through Steam.

I want to replace what has been removed, as I own all the TOR books and PDFS. I am able to open the library and see the Adventurer mod with Parts 1-4. I can add verbiage to the Callings, so I thought I could update the other sections. It won't let me.

I've been checking out videos and links to tutorials, indicating I can open a .mod file (change .mod to .zip) and successfully did so. I found the common.xml where I added the verbiage I wanted. I saved it and re-compressed the TOR-Player folder. I then changed the.zip to .mod and then placed it back into the Modules folder in FG.

I can't get it to appear in the library. Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong? I just want to add more verbiage to the Adventurer data mod.

Thanks.

When you re-zipped the module did you do so from within the directory where all the data was - i.e. select all the files and ZIP from there? Don't ZIP from outside the directory - i.e. don't just select the directory name and ZIP that. If you open the resulting ZIP file you should see all of the module XML immediately, not a top level directory.

Also, use standard ZIP compression - don't use RAR, 7z, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you Trenloe! That was the issue, it works now!

Any reason why I could update verbiage to the Callings section and not the other sections? Just curious as that seemed easier to do in FG versus unzipping and updating the XML and then re-zipping again.

You should be able to add flavour text back in. A lot of that would be in the reference section at the bottom of the file.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    You should be able to add flavour text back in. A lot of that would be in the reference section at the bottom of the file.
    Hi Valarian! Before posting to the forum, I was able to add flavor text back in but only for the Callings section while FG was running. I didn't have to open the Players.mod and unzip and edit the XML. Here is a screenshot example where with the Scholar, I added flavor... I just could just click my mouse in this section and type info in. I could do the same for Slayer, Treasure Hunter, Wanderer and Warden. When I go to the other sections, I can not just click and edit.

Attachment 10146

I was thinking maybe it was a Mac issue as I read some threads where Mac doesn't play nice with some editing.
    Last edited by Eberronknight; June 5th, 2015 at 17:26.

You shouldn't be able to edit directly in to the library entries at all. Very strange. Does it save the changes to the module? Are they still there if you create a new campaign and open the library? It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries. Basically, you have to unzip the module, edit the data file and then re-zip (from within the directory as Trenloe notes above).

It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries.
    These changes/additions will only be available within the campaign where the edits were made. All modules are read-only in terms of the base module data not be able to be changed through the FG interface - unless you write an extension to specifically update module data, there is only one such extension that I know of and this is specific to the Savage Worlds ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You shouldn't be able to edit directly in to the library entries at all. Very strange. Does it save the changes to the module? Are they still there if you create a new campaign and open the library? It may be that it's creating a local copy of the reference item for some of the entries. Basically, you have to unzip the module, edit the data file and then re-zip (from within the directory as Trenloe notes above).
    It does save the changes to the module. At first I thought it wouldn't, I would close everything down and go back in and my flavor was still there.
    If I create a new campaign and open the library, the flavor is gone.

Must be some weird glitch, I thought that would be way too easy. I am brand new to FG so I did not write any extensions of my own, I just placed the files in the folders and went into the FG interface. I figured maybe there was a way to make modules read/edit somehow as I was able to do so with the Callings section.

No worries, I'm doing it as you guys are instructing. I've got a lot to add but I so appreciate you guys giving us TOR fans something to work with!

Thanks to both of you, I was just trying to understand how to add and edit and don't mind going through the normal editing of the data file.

Unfortunately each person has to do their own file. The template gives you the skill names, stats, etc. But none of the flavour or description. An official module would be nice but, from conversations with C7, I don't think their license extends to be able to do that.

I totally get it.

Thanks again!

Thread Information