DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Magnatude's Workshop (Map Making ideas, tips, software)

Hi Guys.
    I've noticed a lot of Q&A on the forums about what to use in making maps.

My answer is anything that you feel comfortable using, and is easiest for you!

I had worked in the past as a professional artist (2D/3D) and I'm fortunate to have been able to purchase a lot of Drawing Equipment and Software. So I may as well put my Camera/Video powers to work and show how some of these things work.

There is a lot of software out there, and GM's really don't have the $$ to frivolously spend to "TRY" something and discover that its not to their expectations. In other cases, GM's buy something and don't realize what a gem it is because they don't see all the hidden features to discover. I'll show all kinds of Drawing software in this thread, including software you never really considered.

I'm using this thread to post my collection of Video's as they come out, as well as any Questions you may have or suggestions on what YOU might be interested in seeing "something" made (Post requests in this Thread).

Please do not post, "This software is better than that software" posts! I use everything I can, and show you how I use it.
    Last edited by Magnatude; June 15th, 2014 at 20:11.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

Starting a Basic World: Fractal Mapper
    Last edited by Magnatude; June 18th, 2014 at 21:24.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Starting a Basic Dungeon: Fractal Mapper
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Finally a video on making symbols in Fractal mapper (Requested)

I'll move on to some other software from here, I've also created a live event on mapping for Saturday June 21 (8pm-10pm Pacific time)
    on Youtube: LIVE Dungeon-Mash where I will create "live" as you watch my desktop.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnatude View Post
    Finally a video on making symbols in Fractal mapper (Requested)

I'll move on to some other software from here, I've also created a live event on mapping for Saturday June 21 (8pm-10pm Pacific time)
    on Youtube: LIVE Dungeon-Mash where I will create "live" as you watch my desktop.
    What kind of map will you be creating? campaign or battlemap? Using Fractal mapper? I'm personally interested in Photoshop as a tool for map making to create modern/sci-fi maps.

This time slot works for me and if I don't forget I'm likely to attend. Thanks for doing this! GM's in FG need to develop many skills and the map skill is probably the most useful one.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thanks Mask...
    I dunno... I'll leave that up to whomever shows up.

If there is no takers, I just might do a Space station or something different... I might start on one software and jump into a few more, depends on what pops into my head.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

This is pretty awesome of you to take the time to do!

Excellent contribution to the community, thank you! On the topic of unexpected map-making software, I've found Sketchup to be most useful to me as someone who has zero artistic ability and finds the UI for GIMP/Photoshop and similarly robust art programs painful. Will look forward to seeing this post grow and develop.

Cheers!
    GMK

Had a request to show how exporting was done... (and it is tricky if you don't know this)
    Includes some simple things you can do in Photoshop layers as well.

Thanks for the Rep+'s and the support guys.
    I'll keep on churning this out whenever I can.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time to do this on youtube man!
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thread Information