DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    So here we have the first release of the A Time of War Character sheet. It is far from complete but hopefully will give you a feel for what it does.

The attached text file explains how the stats are created and what some of the rolls do.

Thanks to Superteddy for allowing me to use some of his code and modifying it to suit.

Any questions or suggestions for improvement then let me know.

I am now working how to implement the item window in the same way it works within the Cyberpunk 2020 extension.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just an update on my extension.

I have made progress on quite a few areas and am putting together some notes for the character sheet.

Hopefully I can put out and update with the extension in the next few weeks, work permitting.

So here we go with another update to the character sheet. The notes attached are not complete but should give you a flavour of what can be done.

I have also attached the Mod file for completeness.

Any questions then just let me know.

This runs under MoreCore 1.52
    Attached Files Attached Files

Further updates have been incorporated and I will put these out over the coming weekend. Need to check all is good with MoreCore 1.54.

This is very cool and progressing nicely - great job! I run a short AtoW campaign once a year, so color me very interested in this.

I'm not a fan of AtoW's Tactical combat rules and use the Alpha Strike rules for Mech combat. I also don't use the Total Warfare rules because I don't like to dedicate entire gaming sessions to a single Mech encounter. The AS rules are fast and simple enough that a session can usually support a Mech encounter and an exploration or social encounter or 2. Not to mention that the players in some of my groups struggle with the crunch of the TW rules - they're really not TW miniatures players. I don't get fancy with my Mech encounters and just use standard Battletech maps and run with the AS map conversion rules.

Using the AS rules poses a challenge though, in that they use a single combined Gunnery and Piloting skill. I have an excel character sheet that does the TW conversion of those skills as per the AtoW rules and then averages them to arrive at single skill I just call AS.

What I'm wondering is how possible would it be to eventually display such a value on this AtoW extension's character sheet?
    And for that matter display converted Total Warfare Gunnery & Piloting skills for those GMs wanting to support encounters using the TW rules?

Hi Kronovan, thanks for your comments on the extension.

My intention for the moment is to just run sessions only involving personal combat rather than Mech Combat at the moment. Longer term I am planning to include Mech Combat. I was originally going to look at creating a second 'character' for each player that represented the Mech they control using the same basic layout of the main character sheet. Your suggestion of using Alpha Strike rules for Mech combat seems good and I will look at this as well. It would certainly speed up the combat scenarios.

I am sure I would be able to include the AS combined skill onto the main character sheet and then maybe create an additional tab on the character sheet that contains all the Mech data.

Plenty for me to work over the coming weeks and months.

For me the Personal combat is all that is needed as I'd use Megamek for the mech combat. I realize that might be a ton more than everyone uses of course. Just wanted to thank you for your efforts Brotherkelly

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherkelly View Post
    Your suggestion of using Alpha Strike rules for Mech combat seems good and I will look at this as well. It would certainly speed up the combat scenarios.

I am sure I would be able to include the AS combined skill onto the main character sheet and then maybe create an additional tab on the character sheet that contains all the Mech data.
    Personally, were I developing this extension I wouldn't go as far as implementing mech combat. As to Alpha Strike, I've found it to be quite polarizing among Battletech players. Some have a strong dislike for those rules (a slight majority IME), while others enjoy them - particularly those who prefer playing battalion+ sized battles with 3D terrain. The Pen'n'Paper RPG players in my groups with no experience with anything Battletech, have tended to prefer the AS rules too. I've seen lots of heated debate though at both the table and on forums, and I think if you develop support for mech combat (whether Total Warfare or Alpha Strike) you'll get objections. I've run both sets of rules for mech encounters in my AtoW campaigns and both types of encounters have been enjoyed. It's just that as a GM I prefer the AS rules, because those encounter are over more quickly and the group can get back to the other aspects of roleplaying faster.

IMO this is probably all that needs to be done. Just a display of the converted Total Warfare Piloting and Gunnery skills and another display of an AS combined skill that would be an averaging of those 2.

I have to admit though, I'm keen to see how far Fantasy Grounds could go in terms of hosting Alphas Strike battles with standard Battletech-TW map. From my forays into the engine with other rulesets, it seems that the ability to set a hex grid overlay could support them. There's the challenge of scale though, but I've already been adapting AS tabletop play to standard TW maps, which like TW involves defining range increments in hexes. I'd love to take a stab at creating an extension for an AS Battlemech sheet. My problem though is that so far my extension coding experience has only involved creating simple extensions for the Savage Worlds ruleset.

As I was typing that last paragraph an idea came to mind - further down the road, would it not be possible to eventually have eparate extensions for Alpha Strike and Total War Mech combat? That way an AtoW GM that didn't want to implement Mech combat could continue with business as usual, but those wanting AS or TW support could just load either extension?

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    This is very cool and progressing nicely - great job! I run a short AtoW campaign once a year, so color me very interested in this.

Using the AS rules poses a challenge though, in that they use a single combined Gunnery and Piloting skill. I have an excel character sheet that does the TW conversion of those skills as per the AtoW rules and then averages them to arrive at single skill I just call AS.

What I'm wondering is how possible would it be to eventually display such a value on this AtoW extension's character sheet?
    And for that matter display converted Total Warfare Gunnery & Piloting skills for those GMs wanting to support encounters using the TW rules?
    Are you able to upload the excel sheet here for me to look at. I can then see how I can incorporate a AS value on the character sheet. If you can't then send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Thread Information