5E Character Create Playlist
Page 20 of 24 First ... 101819202122 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by gtw2017 View Post
    I don't see those as cons - Map Forge uses wonderful art from a wide variety of talented mapping artists in a wonderful way - the 4g is not relevant as users of FG make maps outside of the FG program - and must then then resize and import them accordingly (less than 2600x2600px) to meet the restrictions imposed by the program.
    The 4GB limit is a relevant con - it's not directly to do with the 4GB Fantasy Grounds memory issue, but it is related. It's to do with any 32-bit application having memory limits (2GB or close to 4GB depending if the executable is made large address aware). If a 32-bit application loads a lot of stuff into memory it can start having issues in the 3GB+ memory use zone - @gtw2017 remember some issues you've have when working on very large maps in 32-bit GIMP?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The 4GB limit is a relevant con - it's not directly to do with the 4GB Fantasy Grounds memory issue, but it is related. It's to do with any 32-bit application having memory limits (2GB or close to 4GB depending if the executable is made large address aware). If a 32-bit application loads a lot of stuff into memory it can start having issues in the 3GB+ memory use zone - @gtw2017 remember some issues you've have when working on very large maps in 32-bit GIMP?
    I see - I stand corrected then.

MapForge now support variable-size map canvasses, so if you use the smaller canvas sizes you won't be getting near the upper limit of allocated RAM, even when using multiple layers.

In any case, I suspect the vast majority of FG users will be using MapForge unlicensed (there's little need for high-res output if you're just going to be reducing a map to 50 dpi for use in FG), so they'll never even use 2 GB of RAM.

Between Apathy and Confusion - I don't understand nor do I care.
    Although it isn't exactly mapping it is more of a world creation / building tool, you can make some absolutely incredible things with this, relatively easily. It's called Flowscape and can be found here: https://pixelforest.itch.io/flowscape

You can create maps with it and I did not see it listed here, which is why I mention it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WESeib View Post
    Although it isn't exactly mapping it is more of a world creation / building tool, you can make some absolutely incredible things with this, relatively easily. It's called Flowscape and can be found here: https://pixelforest.itch.io/flowscape

You can create maps with it and I did not see it listed here, which is why I mention it.
    So wait this CAN be used for top-down 2D maps?
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Between Apathy and Confusion - I don't understand nor do I care.
    Yes, as of 3 months ago, the developer added an orthographic gridded export feature.
    Sorry for the delay, it took me a minute to find the exact procedure:

From the developer:
    "Since there were so many requests for an orthographic map maker with grids ive updated it to 1.01

Simply go to the menu, choose Map, click orthographic, set your preferred grid or hex and the tiling, then hit F8 and after a second or 2 an image will be saved at 7680x4320."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WESeib View Post
    Yes, as of 3 months ago, the developer added an orthographic gridded export feature.
    Sorry for the delay, it took me a minute to find the exact procedure:

From the developer:
    "Since there were so many requests for an orthographic map maker with grids ive updated it to 1.01

Simply go to the menu, choose Map, click orthographic, set your preferred grid or hex and the tiling, then hit F8 and after a second or 2 an image will be saved at 7680x4320."
    Cool, well for $10 how could you not?
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Found this during the last Steamsale:
    https://store.steampowered.com/searc...an%20Generator
    easy to use and a lot of free icons in the Steamworkshop
    Name Website Platform/OS Base Cost (USD) Cost with recommended add ons Description Pros Cons Examples Notes

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator Steam
    win 7 or later
    Mac 10.12 or later
    Linux
    any 32- or 64-bit distro that can run Steam

5,69€
    Free on Steamworkshop Locally-installed application intended for creating great-looking maps quickly and easily, either from scratch, with the help of a random generator, and using content from Steamworkshop Add-Ons. 2D top-down raster image. Focuses primarily on tactical-scale battlemaps, but could also be used to create town/village maps and some area maps. Dungeon, Wilderness,
    Cities
    NOT für Region maps more Combatmapstyle

Just spent a pleasant hour or so reviewing this thread and checking out some cool new things.

I bought Other World Mapper (https://www.otherworldmapper.com) a while ago because of this thread, and I just saw that the Vintyri Project has packaged their object sets for use with OWM: https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/owm_addons.htm .

Edit:

If anyone uses Clip Studio Paint, there are some free mapmaking brushes for CSP from Forgotten Adventures: https://www.forgotten-adventures.net

I discovered those while comparing the Steam Workshop addons for Dungeon Painter Studio and Illwinter's Floorplan Generator. DSP is the clear winner when it comes to the workshop addons.

It was also cool to learn that one can generate a dungeon at donjon.bin.sh , export it in TSV format, then import that into Dungeon Painter Studio.

I have a license for Filter Forge 8 and realized I could use that to apply a parchment texture and maybe other effects to any maps I make.
    Last edited by k410; January 29th, 2020 at 07:48.

Thread Information