5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 24 First 123412 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellock View Post
    A program I actually use is ArtRage, from https://www.artrage.com/. It aims to provide "natural" tools for drawing, painting, inking,... I like its interface. I've attached a map I made with ArtRage to tets it out; it's a rendition of the D&D 4e world, but done in the DnD 3.5 style.
    Nice map. That looks like an interesting tool particularly if you don't want to shell out on PS or can't get to grips with the GiMP.

darrenan@: I posted up some short tutorials on YouTube a while back which you might find useful. The styles and textures I used are available for download from my website (see sig.)
    Last edited by Zeus; May 26th, 2014 at 22:17.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    A long time ago, I bought a startup little program called Dungeon Demon. It wasn't very spectaular, and didn't have much art, but it sorrta, quirkily funcioned. I just checked on it again, and they've scrapped it and made an online version of it that is now in Beta. Perhaps it's something someone would like to check out. You can find it at https://www.rustyaxe.com/
    Funny - I just found that one over the weekend too...

A program I actually use is ArtRage, from https://www.artrage.com/. It aims to provide "natural" tools for drawing, painting, inking,... I like its interface. I've attached a map I made with ArtRage to tets it out; it's a rendition of the D&D 4e world, but done in the DnD 3.5 style.
    I will need to check out that one too.

Rite Publishing has some pretty nice map packs that I tend to use.

I also know of Fractal Mapper, found at https://www.nbos.com/products/mapper/mapper.htm. I never played with it much, but I know a few people who seem to like it.
    I use it quite a bit. Its fairly easy to use, actually easier than CC3, but like everything has a bit of a learning curve.
    Personally I use both FM and CC3 (with almost all the CC addons)
    I like them both.
    I do put everything through Photoshop 7 to gussy them up with blood/grime... that sort of thing.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

I think i have mentioned this one before, but for those that own Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2... you can make a seriously detailed battlemap in less than 5 mins by taking a top down screenshot! Not as great for dungeons due to the 3-D walls...but if you broke the dungeon map out into rooms then you will have super impressive maps indeed!
    ~Grimm182~ (GMT-8)/WA
    GM: Booked
    Player: Available for Sunday Nights

This one, I created using Fractal Mapper for the basics, adding a few CC3 Debris/Fount Items, and adding my own Fractal Mapper Doors/Portcullis (easy to make your own symbols in FM).

Then importing into Photoshop, Selecting the Black/walls copy/paste onto a new layer over top and adding a bevel effect to make the walls "pop". Then add a rendered 2-color cloud layer (use Multiply or Darken or other layer effects) to make it dirty looking.
    Attachment 6572

I can use this one as my players have already gone through this part.

This one was done using CC3 and adding the cloud layer in Photoshop to make it more dirty:
    Attachment 6573

Always put in a 5'x5' reference square in you maps to make them easier to line up a Map Grid in Fantasy Grounds.

This map was created in Fractal Mapper... I made the Mountain and Hill symbols myself within Fractal Mapper. Stamped them on where I needed.
    Attachment 6574

Finally one made entirely in Photoshop:
    Attachment 6575

And this one I used Manga Studio 4EX:
    Attachment 6576
    Just a partial of a vast City...

You can use anything that works for drawing, there are tons of software out there. I also have Artrage, Open Canvas, Dogwaffle, Zbrush (going to use it more soon),.... even stuff I cant remember.

NWN is GREAT to use as well, good mention! NWN2 is really awesome if you want to make Cities, Villages and Towns.
    Last edited by Magnatude; May 29th, 2014 at 19:28.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Blog Entries
    NWN's graphics engine shows it's age from about 15-ish years ago, but it is still pretty serviceable. Here's one map I made a while ago - yes the barn is on fire.

Attachment 6577
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Now that just makes me want to post a NWN2 battlemap! Related...i also made token in NWN2. Create you pc, equip them, color them ect.
    Plop them down on the ground and give the ground a black texture. Pan the camera so you can capture the top down angle you want then Screenshot...take you saved screenshot and plop into tokentool.
    ~Grimm182~ (GMT-8)/WA
    GM: Booked
    Player: Available for Sunday Nights

Yeah NWN1 was handy, the NWN2 set of castle pieces and buildings can be rotated any way possible... an you know you can buy it for like $10 (platinum) Not a bad price at all for a 3D map maker if you ask me.

Also Skyrim (if you mod it) can make unlimited Faces for Tokens.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

I'm not sure if this is helpful for anyone, but here's a couple of examples that I have created with Campaign Cartographer (my personal mapping software of choice). I also use Photoshop and GIMP if I need to make touchups or just want to do something the "hard way"

The first one here is clip from my own campaign world.
    Attachment 6584

This next one is a map remake I did to create a battlemap for Scourge of the Sword Coast (D&D Next game). The resolution is fairly low and the pixel size is fairly large, but you'll see that there is still some fair detail to it. Sorry about how dark it is, I was playing with Lighting.

Attachment 6585

Thread Information