Starfinder Playlist

About new rule sets.

Me and my friends play games like this online and originally we only really had Skype to do so with and it tended to be a little boring and unfocused. After finding out about this product I became excited at the opportunities that maps and tokens in an online setting could give to our games. The problem I'm having so far is that the games we play, Mekton Zeta (R. Talsorian, Interlock System) and Silver Age Sentinels (Guardians of Order/white wolf, Tri-stat system) do not appear to be supported by this program either officially or by the community (I tried a few searches and checked the wiki but couldn't find any modules or whatever to add those rules to the program).

Now I'm not really a programmer of any sort and wouldn't know the first thing about creating something like that, so I thought I'd ask around here: What are the chances that those two might be added either officially or by the community, possibly already being worked on? At this point I'm really attracted to this program, especially if I can use it to add my own maps, tokens, and such easily (click menus or drag and drop), I'm even so much as interested in buying the 149 dollar version so my friends wouldn't have to shell out a lot just to use it, but it's not as useful at it's price if it can't follow the rules and help with character creation (I haven't found any such thing for Mekton, I found one for SAS but it contradicts the rules and confusing us big time). I hope I'm not offending anyone by asking this, but I thought it was important for me to get some insight before the investment.
    Last edited by Tidalwave0089; April 21st, 2014 at 16:09.

Hi Tidalwave,

Not quite sure if this is what you want to hear (at least, I think), but you can play ANY Tabletop RPG using just the CoreRPG Ruleset - yes, it won't have any of the fancy features that more "dedicated" or "focussed" Rulesets have, but it is possible and it will be better than just using Skype.

I don't know if you've seen them yet but I've done a set of Tutorial Videos (which the boys from SmiteWorks have put on the Wiki, or which you can get from my sig, below) which helps new people learn how to get the most out of FG - the reason that I bring this up is that the latest one (01-A-07) covers the Character Sheet that comes with the CoreRPG and explains how to use it for any RPG System (sort of).

Using the CoreRPG Ruleset is pretty much like using plain paper for your character sheets, as opposed to pre-printed ones, but the basic functionality required to run games is there - the dice, the maps, GM vs Player Info, etc, etc, etc - what is not there, as I have said, is the fancy automations like automatically applying damage or automatic spell effects, so you have to do what you would do if you were sitting around a table - describe things to the Players and have them adjust/record things manually.

As far as the actual game systems you've mentioned, others will have to chime in - sorry

And, for what its worth - Welcome!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    It does take literally hundreds of hours to build a good ruleset although it is a lot quicker now if you can (and you should) build on top of CoreRPG. What that means is that for the most part games without large player bases are unlikely to get done in FG. Then... even if you did do all the coding you cant distribute your ruleset with actual content like spells, monsters etc without copyright approval of the owner...
    You can as Dulux says, roll dice, use dice tower, share maps, mask maps, use (basic) character sheets, share notes and story entries etc without any coding at all.
    But that is not nearly as cool as say Savage Worlds or Pathfinder or Castles&Crusades where things just work.

Blog Entries
    There is going to be a graphical ruleset builder that will be going into production sometime real soon now.
    My understanding is it will allow people to build character sheets and npc sheets and similar templates thru a gui - but it still wont have all the magic like double click your attack to roll the right dice, add bonuses, compare to targets defense and declare a hit or a miss etc. But still it will probably allow a LOT of new basic rulesets to be developed and these might get some love from some of the clever code monkeys (monkey is a term of high praise!) around here and get some automation.

The one snag I can see with trying to run Mekton Zeta in FG3 right now is skill rolls, since they explode (it's a d10 roll, Critical on 10 [which results in you adding another d10, which is also allowed to critical, and so forth] and fumble on 1 [subtract d10, non-exploding, from the result]). If I knew where to look to try and implement this on die rolls (and also had the time to brush up on my LUA), I would actually try to do so myself. It's actually one of the first two things that would have to be addressed for making a Mekton Zeta ruleset for FG3 (the other would be figuring out how to handle the character sheets, since it's perfectly conceivable that the same physical pilot could use multiple mektons over the course of a campaign).

Blog Entries
    Kitsune - Exploding dice mechanics are possible in FG. Both the RoleMaster and SavageWorlds rulesets support them. You could look to those rulesets for a guiding hand, both are commercial rulesets available from the FG store.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Zeta View Post
    The one snag I can see with trying to run Mekton Zeta in FG3 right now is skill rolls, since they explode (it's a d10 roll, Critical on 10 [which results in you adding another d10, which is also allowed to critical, and so forth] and fumble on 1 [subtract d10, non-exploding, from the result]). If I knew where to look to try and implement this on die rolls (and also had the time to brush up on my LUA), I would actually try to do so myself.
    This sounds very similar to the mechanic for Eden Studios' Unisystem, which I've implemented in the Conspiracy X ruleset (see the community rulesets link below).
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Wow, sweet, nice to see another Mekton fan

Thread Information