FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 17 of 30 First ... 7151617181927 ... Last

Thread: SW Maker

So I really like this and am fairly new to Savage Worlds but I am planning to move our table from 5E D&D to SW and have been playing with this a bit.

I may be doing something wrong but I am trying to have an NPC Wild Card have a magic sword. I put the text into NP++ as I see it done in the SWADE but don't see an example of an NPC anywhere with a magic weapon. The damage parses out correctly with the +1 damage but the fighting die for that weapon doesn't have a modifier.

How do I add the +1 to the fighting die only for that weapon?

I guess to more accurately ask the question what is the syntax to add a modifier with a name to the gear in a stat block?
    Last edited by Slagmoth; January 12th, 2020 at 16:34.

I am not sure if the converter will pick that up. I am newer to FG myself, but I am pretty sure for NPCs you just directly edit the attack. So add a sword to combat, then edit the attack to put in the +1 (attack, damage, or both).

For an adventure, you can make a loot parcel and put the magic sword in there it is something that might be recovered by the PCs.

Actually, it does not appear that FG allows for the creation of what those of us from D&D would classify as a magic item, there is nothing on the item sheet that allows for a bonus to hit/fighting/shooting from the item itself. I understand that Fantasy games are few and far between and the SW rules don't lend themselves well to them but this seems like it should be built into the system. Along with the ability to add damage types.

One thing I insist on when I develop at work is that if there are options to add additional content that there be a UI to allow for such things. That would be a heaven sent in FG to avoid having to do LUA for every thing.

I'm a bit confused. We use SW for Fantasy games all the time, and there's a Fantasy Companion book for it, too. Works awesome, i think! But for magic items, you can totally do those both in SWADE and in FG. Just use an effects keyword. A kind of example of that is in post 4 on https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...c-Beta-Testing, but more details about effects can be found at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Worlds_Effects. There are also some awesome videos by Doswelk on his YouTube channel that may be helpful as well at https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk/videos. Would any of that cover what you are trying to do?
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

The problem I had when trying to automate a modifier from a magical weapon was that application of the effect seemed to hinge on whether or not the weapon was equipped rather than whether or not the weapon in question was used. IOW, if included a [Fighting+1] on a long sword and the player had that sword equipped, it applied the modifier even if they made the attack with a dagger or some other melee weapon. Having to toggle the equipped status back and forth (and just expecting players to remember to do so) was more trouble than it was worth. You can modify the Fighting roll itself for that particular weapon (right click on the attack die, select modifiers, add the modifier) on the Combat tab and that worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    The problem I had when trying to automate a modifier from a magical weapon was that application of the effect seemed to hinge on whether or not the weapon was equipped rather than whether or not the weapon in question was used. IOW, if included a [Fighting+1] on a long sword and the player had that sword equipped, it applied the modifier even if they made the attack with a dagger or some other melee weapon. Having to toggle the equipped status back and forth (and just expecting players to remember to do so) was more trouble than it was worth. You can modify the Fighting roll itself for that particular weapon (right click on the attack die, select modifiers, add the modifier) on the Combat tab and that worked for me.
    With the latest ruleset update you can write [> Fighting +1] effect to a weapon. This effect is only applied IF you use the weapon to attack and will not alter other attacks.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Good to know. I wish the wiki could be updated to account for these types of changes. I'm not sure how one is supposed to learn about them if they are buried in a thread here on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikael View Post
    With the latest ruleset update you can write [> Fighting +1] effect to a weapon. This effect is only applied IF you use the weapon to attack and will not alter other attacks.
    That is really good to know, thank you... how do you get the same type of effect on NPCs though? As an example I am transporting a Cultist from what appears to be Deluxe and they can create the Fervor effect where they get -2 to Smarts and Notice in favor of +2 to Fighting. I have tried that on the effects line and it doesn't seem to work. I know the ruleset is still a WIP but is there a close to up to date wiki for this? It is somewhat difficult to stumble around in there sometimes.

Actually I figured all that out...

Fervor[Notice -2,Smarts -2, >Fighting +2,Spirit +2]

I see you can also just add the weapon from the Items menu to the NPC now... seemed counter-intuitive when I tried to do that the first time.

Now I just need damage types and adjustments based on those
    Last edited by Slagmoth; January 15th, 2020 at 22:41.

I really enjoy using this and have imported hundreds of NPCs so far, my question is however, is there something like this but for equipment?
    When the GM smiles, it's too late!

ULTIMATE LICENSE GM

Quote Originally Posted by Whaley View Post
    I really enjoy using this and have imported hundreds of NPCs so far, my question is however, is there something like this but for equipment?
    I use Excel it not pretty but I fill out the sheet and then it creates the xml code which I copy/paste into db.xml.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information