STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Several questions about FG PFR

Hello forums,

I have recently purchased Fantasy Grounds and so far it has been wonderful with a steep, but interesting learning curve. However, I'm stumped on a few aspects relating to damage Reduction and creating magical weapons.

Damage Reduction: I have a very basic idea on how to work damage reduction, but I'm stuck figuring out several components. First question: How do I separate different weapon types in a single roll, such as a flaming slashing weapon towards a skeleton. The skeleton would reduce the damage from the slashing weapon, but not the fire damage if I'm correct. Second question: I'm running the Worldwound Incursion campaign which deals with a copious amount of demons, all who have damage reduction against anything but good aligned characters or cold-iron weapons. What's the best way to handle that? A number of my players use cold iron weapons and only two are actually good-aligned players.

Magical weapons: What would be the best method to creating a +1 flaming longsword or the best way to apply special materials, such as cold-iron or adamantine?

Appreciate the time spent reading the post.

Time to toot my own horn.

I would recommend this extension for most of the issues.

As for the rest, you can add a special material in damage type field of the weapon and it will bypass DR as appropriate. Flaming is an extra d6 fire damage and can be added either as an effect ('DMG: 1d6 fire') that stays on the character or as a damage action that deals a d6 damage of the 'fire' type with the spell damage circle checked. The first choice will be automatic when the player rolls weapon damage, but will be reduced by DR when it shouldn't be (not actually true) . The second choice would require the player to make a second click each time he/she rolled damage but the fire damage would be treated like a spell and ignore DR (but not fire resistance).
    Last edited by Nickademus; March 22nd, 2014 at 22:22.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Wow, fantastic! Thanks for the quick reply back.

I'll have to download the extension and give it a run through.

As for the magical items, that will have to do. We will see how it run in tomorrow's playtest.

Something didn't seem right about what I said. Upon investigating, the DMG: 1d6 fire effect does not get reduced by DR. So it works as it's supposed to. Just have the player add 'DMG: 1d6 fire' as an effect when they are using the flaming sword. With the EET extension, they can add a second effect 'REMOVE: DMG: 1d6 fire' to create a button that will remove the flaming effect (if they switch to a different weapon for instance).

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. Cheers!

Little problem during the testing process with the fire weapon code. It worked fine without the targeting system, however, I was given errors when I targeted the skeleton with the weapon. I've tried multiple different weapons types too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35311899/Error!.png Screenshot to explain the problem.

Thanks again, whoever looks into this. Very much appreciated!
    Last edited by Kalastin; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:00.

I'm having difficulties recreating this error. Can you tell me which extensions you are using?

Sure thing!

Expanded NPC weapons, ability damage action and expanded effects, enhanced images, enhanced items, fantasy language chat, theme-dungeon.

Now, I disabled all extensions except for Ability damage action and still received the error. I removed all extensions, as in, deleted them except for ability damage action and still received the error. I did not get the error when I disabled expanded effects and tried the fire command.

Thank you. I will look into it. Just to clarify, the 'ability damage action and expanded effects' is the single hybrid extension and not two separate extensions?

Edit: nevermind, I've identified the problem. This is already fixed in version 1.8 which I will be releasing tomorrow.
    Last edited by Nickademus; March 24th, 2014 at 08:50.

Yep! Using the hybrid extension.

And woot, thank you so much for all the help!

Appreciate the time spent on it.

Thread Information