DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

PF Bestiary in 3.5

Is there a way to drop the PF Bestiary into a 3.5 campaign? I've already dropped it into my modules folder in 3.5 but when I open up the modules in my library, it doesn't show up. The 3.5 monster manual is sadly lacking, it doesn't even have dragons in it. I just don't know why I can't open the module.

It is a ruleset issue. PF is PF, 3.5 is 3.5. The fields and formatting are different. As just one example, there is no CMD/CMB in 3.5. With enough work (and it would be a lot), you could go into the module XML, edit the tag that makes it work with 3.5 and then take the Paizo 3.5 conversion document and reverse-engineer it to make the monsters work with 3.5, but what you are wanting to do is non-trivial.

If you go into the documents area, you could find out the tag you'd have to edit to flag the module for 3.5 and try it and see what would happen, but the format differences would mean you'd have to edit each monster as you dragged it to the encounter, as the parser wouldn't fully work (and would probably give a fatal error, but I've never tried it).

99% of the Pathfinder ruleset is shared with 3.5e - there are actually only a couple of fields that are different between the 3.5e and PFRPG NPC formats.

As Bidmaron says, you'll need to change the PF-SRD-Bestiary.mod to be usable by 3.5E. This file is found in <FG App Folder>\modules - get to the <FG App folder> by clicking the folder button in the top right of the first FG screen. The .mod file is actually a ZIP file. Change the filename to be .zip instead of .mod, unzip, edit definition.xml, change <ruleset>PFRPG</ruleset> to <ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>, save definition.xml, re-zip up the file (zip from within the directory, not from outside so that you end up with just the files in the .zip not the folder name), rename the .zip to .mod. Then load up a 3.5e campaign and you should see this module for use.

There are also more Bestiaries here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules Most of these will work in 3.5E without modification as they are still tagged with 3.5E as the ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. It's a little out of my league technically, but I will give it a try. One strange thing...I started up a Pathfinder campaign and it had both PF and the 3.5 rulebooks available. But when I go to my 3.5, the PF books are not and I really want to run 3.5, but just need the PF Bestiary. Anyone know any links to the PF Bestiary that's already been converted?

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    One strange thing...I started up a Pathfinder campaign and it had both PF and the 3.5 rulebooks available. But when I go to my 3.5, the PF books are not and I really want to run 3.5, but just need the PF Bestiary. Anyone know any links to the PF Bestiary that's already been converted?
    In Fantasy Grounds 3.0 the PFRPG ruleset runs on top of the 3.5E ruleset and so accepts modules from 3.5E. However, because PFRPG extends 3.5E the reverse cannot be said as the 3.5E ruleset is not programmed to accept from the PFRPG - i.e. by default you can't load modules tagged as PFRPG in the 3.5E ruleset, you would have to manually edit the PFRPG modules as mentioned above.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information