DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 16 of 37 First ... 6141516171826 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    I had one more thought... when you built your encounter.. you pulled the Commando from the NPCs right.. and NOT the module? Once you've copied an NPC from a module to the NPCs tab you should work with the copied version from that point on.

Once copied it shouldn't matter at all if you close the creature module.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    p.s., I based my trial upon the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    The parser is designed to allow the GM to copy NPC statblocks directly from an adventure PDF, paste into a text file and parse the text file. If the NPC being copy/pasted adheres to the Paizo statblock standard and there are no strange characters introduced during the copy/paste process (sometimes this happens when copying from a PDF - erroneous spaces or other characters can be introduced).
    I saw no extraneous characters... and so I assumed, since this was coming directly from a Paizo document, that it would work.

- s.west
    The key thing here is that NPC statblocks in the RotRL *do not* adhere to the standard NPC statblock - the beginning headers - name, CR, HP, type, alignment and race/class are *not* in the standard stat block format. You'll see this issue in the NPC Codex as well. See the information at the start of post #2 in this thread - which includes links to the Paizo statblock standard and a ton of example creature statblocks that follow this format.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    I had one more thought... when you built your encounter.. you pulled the Commando from the NPCs right.. and NOT the module? Once you've copied an NPC from a module to the NPCs tab you should work with the copied version from that point on.

Once copied it shouldn't matter at all if you close the creature module.
    Yes, I am 99.9% sure that is how I did it, because that made the most sense to me... copy from the .mod into the NPC's page, and then populate the encounter from the NPC's page.

Anyway, I managed to get through tonight's session (barely). This was our first complete night of gaming with FG. I had other problems later that were ... frustrating, shall we say. I'll try to put together something concise, and post it tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The key thing here is that NPC statblocks in the RotRL *do not* adhere to the standard NPC statblock - the beginning headers - name, CR, HP, type, alignment and race/class are *not* in the standard stat block format. You'll see this issue in the NPC Codex as well. See the information at the start of post #2 in this thread - which includes links to the Paizo statblock standard and a ton of example creature statblocks that follow this format.
    Yes, with the other commentary, and re-reading the relevant posts from your thread, I did figure it out, and got it right. I was just under pressure to get it working, because the encounters in the .mod I was using were referencing non-existent NPC records (I think there was a second module that I was supposed to have to make this one complete). Anyway, I think I get the format picture. Now if I could just figure out some of the other things that went wrong in tonight's session, I'll be going ok... but not now. sleep now.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    swest - I think its been said before but here goes just in case -
    dont try an do everything on your first couple of sessions. this is a complicated application and its different from running face to face - so you shouldnt expect to just get it all right first time - but it will get easier as you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    The .mod that was shared with me for RotRL is missing the Goblin Commando (page 18 of the Anniversary Edition).
    You're definitely not using my version, then, as that does have the Goblin Commando in it. I can send you the latest version of mine, if you like - I've completed the top level of Thistletop now. Alternatively, I've made all my NPC stat blocks available here.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    swest - I think its been said before but here goes just in case -
    dont try an do everything on your first couple of sessions. this is a complicated application and its different from running face to face - so you shouldnt expect to just get it all right first time - but it will get easier as you get used to it.
    Yeah, I know. We'll get it. I had other things go wrong that had nothing to do with Fantasy Grounds... it was just a bit of a frustrating evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum
    You're definitely not using my version, then, as that does have the Goblin Commando in it. I can send you the latest version of mine, if you like - I've completed the top level of Thistletop now. Alternatively, I've made all my NPC stat blocks available here.
    It's quite possible that I did something else wrong to lose that NPC, and that it had nothing to do with the .mod... But that's what it looked like to me. Thanks for the link.

- s.west

I have a stat block that is failing to parse. It looks like the following two lines from the log file describe the problem, which is that the Ecology section is not getting parsed because 'Ecology' is being removed for some reason, causing the remainder of the stat block to show up in the languages field:

11/9/2014 12:18:25 PM: FormatDataFile: Remaining data to parse = Str -, Dex 16, Con -, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 18 Base Atk +8; CMB +11 (+13 sunder); CMD 28 (30 vs. sunder) Feats Combat Expertise, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Sunder, Shield Slam, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (longsword) Skills Fly +10, Intimidate +18, Knowledge (religion) +10, Perception +17, Ride +10, Sense Motive +15, Survival +13 Languages Common ECOLOGY Environment any (Worldwound) Organization solitary, squad (2-6), or platoon (7-16) Treasure none SPECIAL ABILITIES Agent of Despair ...<remainder of this line removed for brevity>
    11/9/2014 12:18:25 PM: Removed "Ecology"

I've tried putting period, comma or semi-colon after 'Common'. If I remove ECOLOGY, Environment, Organization and Treasure lines, then the stat block parses correctly.

EDIT: Figured it out, there was an Ecology paragraph header down in EXTRA FORMATTED DATA that was apparently getting picked up.
    Last edited by darrenan; November 9th, 2014 at 20:36.

I'm currently attempting to recreate the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module in Pathfinder and I'll be recreating the NPC's in PCGen and exporting using the default PFRPG statblock and importing them into FG using this parser. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Okay I'm having some problems importing a NPC made in PCGen. I'm converting the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil from 3e to 35e to Pathfinder. And I'm attempting to recreate the NPC's in PCGen, export them out as a statblock using csheet_fantasy_statblock_pathfinder.htm.ftl which as far as I can tell matches Pazio's statblock format. And it's giving me the following error.

Code:
    Reading data file: C:\Users\Nylanfs\Documents\PCGen_char\RttToEE_PFS\Elmo_Parser_test.txt
    Logging to: C:\Users\Nylanfs\Documents\PCGen_char\RttToEE_PFS\Elmo_Parser_test.txt.log
    Formatting creature stat block: ELMO  CR 5
    Error in FormatDataFile, Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Formatting creature stat block: Wild Empathy (Ex) You can improve the attitude of an animal.
    Processing creature: ELMO
    Processing creature: 
    Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Processing creature: 
    Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
    Error in btnStartParse_Click, Message: The Writer is closed or in error state.
    Module file created: C:\Users\Nylanfs\Documents\PCGen_char\RttToEE_PFS\Elmo_Parser_test.mod
    Parsing ended - check text above for errors.
    I'm attaching a zip file that contains:
    • the character pcg file for PCGen
    • a htm file of the statblock
    • the plain text file containging the copy and past of the htm minus the spaces
    • the fpf and log file
    • the resulting module
    • an xml for using the default FG export
    • an xml file using the updated xml export sheet

Would it be possible for the parser to read the character import xml to be able to make an NPC?

Thread Information