FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 12 of 37 First ... 2101112131422 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    I have attached a problematic file that is causing the parser to just hang. No errors reported, but it gets done with the first pass over the file and then the app becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it. Since it isn't producing any errors, and the log and fpf files appear clean to me, I'm leaving this in your capable debugging hands. This is with v2.0.0.8 you sent me.
    The Myceloid had "Spell like Ability" rather than "Spell Like Abilities". This had been seen once before (I've got it listed as item 8 on my to fix list at the beginning of this thread). The log file gave the clue to this as the last entry was the line before in the stat block: "Written Special Attacks as: spore cloud"
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yup, now that I look at it this morning with fresh eyes it's pretty obvious.

The following line:

Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th; concentration +22)
    10/day—bleeding touch (7 rounds), touch of evil (7 rounds)

Is generating this in the .fpf file:

SPELLLIKEABILITIESCL 15th; concentration +22) 10/day-bleeding touch (7 rounds), touch of evil (7 rounds)</p><list><li></li></list>

This appears to start happening when uses/day gets to ten. I have a bunch of other Domain Spell-Like Abilities entries in the same file that parse fine, and they all have <10 uses/day. And there's one other 10/day that exhibits the same error. Known issue?

P.S. Is there a workaround, or should I just remove the Domain Spell-Like Abilities lines from these two stat blocks?

This appears to start happening when uses/day gets to ten. I have a bunch of other Domain Spell-Like Abilities entries in the same file that parse fine, and they all have <10 uses/day. And there's one other 10/day that exhibits the same error. Known issue?
    The parser only supports 9/day as a maximum daily use rate. When I designed the parser I looked through a lot of statblocks and this was the most I ever saw. However, more statblocks are putting class abilities (domain, school, bloodline, etc.) in a spell like ability section. Which wasn't the case for a few years - they were usually covered in special attacks or special qualities sections.

I'll review the parser code to see if there is a reliable way to increase this without breaking the parser for other statblocks.

P.S. Is there a workaround, or should I just remove the Domain Spell-Like Abilities lines from these two stat blocks?
    Other than creating 2 entries for the class ability - one at 9/day and one at 1/day, there's not a work around to get it fully parsing in the current version. You can either move the info to the EXTRA FORMATTED DATA section of the statblock, or put the individual entries in the special attacks or special qualities section.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'll think about how to do it. I'm certainly not going to over complicate it as that leads to the possibility of too much breaking, so will more than likely look at something like what Darren says above.
    Going through the new Bestiary 3 community project I've noticed there are the odd spell like ability whose details are listed in the Special Abilities section for that creature.

What I'm thinking of doing if a spell couldn't be matched is this:
    1. Still flag in the parser log window that the spell couldn't be found.
    2. Create a spell entry in the Level 0 section of spell like abilities on the spells tab with the title being the exact text from the statblock and a note in the description to refer to the creature special abilities and/or universal monster rules for more details.

The spell-like ability won't be in the right place in terms of the "spell" level for any saving throws, but it will allow the GM to see there is an ability to use and to track usage in the spells tab.

stuck on a parse

Hi Trenloe

I can't for the live of me work out why this npc won't parse, I'm sure its something obvious......

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    Hi Trenloe

I can't for the live of me work out why this npc won't parse, I'm sure its something obvious......
    The x in the x3 of the shortbow crit is a weird character.

this one runs ok in in the parser but produces this error message

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file aspart1a:db.xml - Error on line 1591: Error reading end tag.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    this one runs ok in in the parser but produces this error message

Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file aspart1a:db.xml - Error on line 1591: Error reading end tag.
    Which one?

Open the db.xml file and look at that line (line number 1591) it will give you an idea which part of the XML is the issue. It is more than likely the spell or special ability parsing that causes the XML error. Do the usual checks: special abilities descriptions end in a full-stop, only one spell like ability and spells class, spell uses are formatted correctly, etc..

Thread Information