DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

CoreRPG basic questions

Hi, I'm new to FG, and I've been trying to get started on creating an adventure, but I have a couple of very basic questions.

First, I have created a library module (exporting a story and replacing encounter tags with data). I see it listed as a library module, I have activated it and set it to force load. However, it doesn't appear in the list of available modules (either for me as a GM or when I connect as a client). I have updated the game. (I saw a similar question about a specific ruleset and the problem seemed to be updating the ruleset.)

Second, when I go to NPCs and create them, I see a very limited set of data: Size, Reach, Rolls, Equipment and Languages. There's nothing for hit point or skills or a way to create what field I want, as I can with the character sheets. How can I track NPC stats? Though compressed and not very usable, I use Rolls to enter things like Axe 3d6+5, Axe Damage 1d6+3, which I can then drag for a dice roll. How can track things like Health and mana?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    After activating module - go into Stories or NPCs and there should be a new Tab with the relevant (eg Stories or NPCs) module data in there...

Quote Originally Posted by guttert View Post
    Second, when I go to NPCs and create them, I see a very limited set of data: Size, Reach, Rolls, Equipment and Languages. There's nothing for hit point or skills or a way to create what field I want, as I can with the character sheets. How can I track NPC stats? Though compressed and not very usable, I use Rolls to enter things like Axe 3d6+5, Axe Damage 1d6+3, which I can then drag for a dice roll. How can track things like Health and mana?
    CoreRPG is mainly for use as a platform for other rulesets. It only contains the bare minimum that is common among most game systems. For a more detailed list of stats for assets such as NPCs try a more specific ruleset such 3.5E, 4E or PFRPG.

It sounds like you are looking for 3.5E personally, though I can't be sure with only the few examples you are giving. If you don't find what you are looking for in one of those three rulesets, tell us a little more of what you are wanting and we can direct you to the best ruleset.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thanks for the quick response, but unfortunately, I'm not seeing the library module that I created in Story or NPCs. FYI, I followed the steps from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3KCNFqIIFA

And I had already found and installed the CoreRPGExtended pak, which adds nice options for PCs but not for NPCs.

I would have expected to track HP in the Combat Tracker.

I'm trying to set up a Dragon Age adventure. I was use the CoreRPG set since I thought it might be the easiest to get up and running. Since we're testing Dragon Age to see if it's something that we might want to play more of, I really hesitate to jump into ruleset editing.

For some reason, my response to Damned wasn't posted. I've installed the CoreRPGExtended, and, while it improves the PC sheet for customization, the NPC window is the same and doesn't really have flexibility. I would have expected the Combat Tracker to hold the HP info at least.

Blog Entries
    As Nickademus says - it cpntains the bare minimum... not all rulesets have HP or handle them the same way...
    It has a lot of the logic and features to support all the things we love but the interface to these features is not there - that requires some coding.
    If a particular ruleset contains even half of what you are looking for - start with that. If you want to develop your ruleset you might be better making an extension which turns off or hides some elements and adds your new features.
    I havent played or read Dragon Age so I cant comment on what might be closest. But Pathfinder probably has most of the elements (if not the mechanics) of most fantasy games...

Thanks, Damned. With Dragon Age, PCs and NPCs have 8 attributes. I know 4e/3.5/PF, so I first looked at those, but unfortunately, they're not really usable as is for Dragon Age. I looked at several of the unofficial rulesets as well.

Even without the CoreRPGExtended pak, the CoreRPG allows custom skills and attributes for PCs. It's inconsistent to not offer similar customization with the NPCs at the very least. It's odd that HP isn't available for NPCs because games like Fate don't use it, but there are Size and Reach fields. It would be good to give a way to play a system without a ruleset more out of the box. That would be a good thing for folks who are trying different systems and not yet committed to one. (We've been playing 3.5e and Pathfinder for a long while and looking for something else.) Creating a ruleset seems a bit daunting for a game that someone might play for only 2-3 sessions. Plus, as I've read through these boards, I've seen comments that you need to be a programmer to create a custom ruleset.

It looks like an extension is the way to go for my purposes, though it's more work than I wanted to spend. I see the overview of extensions: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/extensions.xcp I'll look for tutorials and other helpful topics for working with extensions, but I'll probably be diving into the reference documentation regardless. If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I think making it easier for non-programmers to pick up and play is something Smiteworks should consider. That seems one reason roll20 and Hangouts are popular, at least among the players on G+ that I follow. I've tried Roll20, and while it is somewhat easier to get up and running with a new system, Roll20 is clunky and has some bad designs. The CoreRPG seems probably not far from being a good option for a non-ruleset system and non-programmers.

Thanks, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by guttert View Post
    I think making it easier for non-programmers to pick up and play is something Smiteworks should consider.
    And they have.
    Ruleset Wizard (in construction)
    Post #29 specifically says:
    I'm proud to announce that I have reached an agreement with Smiteworks to develop and release the Ruleset Wizard as an official licensed Fantasy Grounds product. The development will be funded by a kickstarter that will be announced as soon as some legal issues are resolved. We are just finishing the details of the project, wich will be presented along with the kickstarter.
    Of course, there is a large gap to cover between a programmer and a non-programmer so don't get your hopes up for a miracle cure. I mean after all, FG is a computer program. To modify FG requires the ability to edit computer programs, which is done by programmers. For a non-programmer to attempt to modify FG would require them to learn how to edit a computer program which would thereby make them now a programmer.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information