STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

C&C effect guide ?

Is there somewhere an C&C effects guideline? It looks different from the other rulesets and I wonder how to set e.g. timed effect durations?

The C&C effects are round-based, just like the ones in 3.5E. The format is similar to 3.5E, though much simpler.

ABIL: <dice phrase or number> (specific ability option)
    ATK: <dice phrase or number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    AC: <number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    DMG: <dice phrase or number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    IMMUNE: <damage type>
    VULN: <damage type>
    RESIST: <damage type>

STR: <number>
    DEX: <number>
    CON: <number>
    INT: <number>
    WIS: <number>
    CHA: <number>

Blinded = AC: -5
    Cowering = AC: -2
    Invisible = CONC4
    Prone = AC: -5
    Stunned = AC: -2

CONC1 = AC: 2
    CONC2 = AC: 4
    CONC3 = AC:6
    CONC4 = AC: 10
    COVER1 = AC: 2
    COVER2 = AC: 4
    COVER3 = AC:6
    COVER4 = AC: 10
    * = These also map to the modifier box buttons

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Concealment?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yeah, the concealment and cover effects were shortened to keep them from being too long in the effects display. It's similar to 3.5E/4E rulesets. Basically, C&C has 4 levels of cover and 4 levels of concealment according to the rules I saw.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    ABIL: <dice phrase or number> (specific ability option)
    ATK: <dice phrase or number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    AC: <number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    DMG: <dice phrase or number> (can be targeted)(melee/ranged option)
    IMMUNE: <damage type>
    VULN: <damage type>
    RESIST: <damage type>
    The bottom effects are all pretty straight forward, but I don't get the top ones. "ABIL" is presumably for Abilities. I assume "<dice phrase or number>" would be something like "2d4" or "3" or "-1". However, what is "(specific ability option)"? I tried "ABIL: 2 Blacksmith" thinking it would give that character an automatic +2 on their Blacksmith ability while the effects was applied, but that didn't work.

Can we get some definitions/examples for "(specific ability option)," "(can be targeted)," "(melee/ranged option)" and "<damage type>"? Or a link to someplace where these things are defined? Some examples would be nice, too.

This is a very useful part of the ruleset that I hadn't even looked into yet, and I'm guessing that others would also benefit from having this info spelled out and documented.

Thanks!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture View Post
    Can we get some definitions/examples for "(specific ability option)," "(can be targeted)," "(melee/ranged option)" and "<damage type>"? Or a link to someplace where these things are defined? Some examples would be nice, too.
    Agree. Tried to fiddle around with it on my own with not much success, yet. I would appreciate more information/examples on this.

NOTE: Effects do not modify data on the character/NPC record - they come into play when rolls that they are related to are carried out.

You can probably start with looking at examples from the 3.5e ruleset - these won't be 100% the same, but will give you an example of what formatting is like.

Check out the effects section in the 3.5e user guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userg...ffects_35E.xcp (look at the various entries under "Effects" in the left hand sidebar: examples and label are good places to start.

There are a lot of example effects in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ffects-library

EDIT: See the thread post below - I'm not sure if damage types have been implemented yet.

In the ruleset \scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua file is a list of the supported damage and energy types. For example:
    Code:
    rangetypes = {
    	"melee",
    	"ranged"
    };

energytypes = {
    	"acid",
    	"cold",
    	"electricity",
    	"fire",
    	"poison",
    	"sonic"
    };

dmgtypes = {
    	"acid",  		-- ENERGY DAMAGE TYPES
    	"cold",
    	"electricity",
    	"fire",
    	"poison",
    	"sonic",
    	"adamantine", 	-- WEAPON PROPERTY DAMAGE TYPES
    	"bludgeoning",
    	"cold iron",
    	"magic",
    	"mithral",
    	"piercing",
    	"silver",
    	"slashing",
    	"nonlethal"
    };

immunetypes = {
    	"acid",  		-- ENERGY DAMAGE TYPES
    	"cold",
    	"electricity",
    	"fire",
    	"poison",
    	"sonic",
    	"sleep", 		-- OTHER IMMUNITY TYPES
    	"paralysis",
    	"petrification",
    	"charm",
    	"sleep",
    	"fear",
    	"disease"
    };

targetableeffectcomps = {
    	"CONC1",
    	"CONC2",
    	"CONC3",
    	"CONC4",
    	"COVER1",
    	"COVER2",
    	"COVER3",
    	"COVER4",
    	"ATK",
    	"DMG",
    	"AC",
    	"IMMUNE",
    	"VULN",
    	"RESIST"
    };
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 18th, 2014 at 11:50.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Effects need to be added to the combat tracker - they have a duration (rounds) and an initiative value at which to reduce the duration by 1.

A few examples:

Effect Results Notes
    ATK:2 Adds 2 to all attacks
    ATK:2 melee Adds 2 to all melee attacks I'm not sure of how to distinguish between melee and ranged attacks in NPCs
    Bless; ATK:1 +1 to all attacks "Bless;" is just a label - use a semi-colon to separate labels and multiple effects in one line.
    Charge; DMG:2;AC:-4 Adds +2 to all damage and subtracts 4 from the AC when attacked. "Charge" is just a label
    RESIST:5 fire Subtract 5 from all fire damage done to target. I haven't worked out how to add a damage type to damage rolls. In 3.5e it would be "1d6 fire" but this doesn't work.
    IMMUNE: fire Will take no damage from fire attacks See note above regarding specifying damage type
    VULN: cold Will take 1.5 damage from cold attacks See note above regarding specifying damage type
    ABIL:2 strength When a roll directly against the Strength ability (on the main tab of the character sheer) is made, +2 is added to the dice roll. This does not impact rolls against stats/skills derived from strength.
    STR:2 Adds 2 to the current strength statistic value - any bonus when the dice are rolled will rely on the current total for the ability. Some derived stats (melee attack, for example) are impacted by this changed. Some aren't - skills for example.
    As I've noted above, I'm not sure how to specify attack type (melee or ranged) for an NPC, nor do I know how to specify damage type for any damage roll (e.g. fire, bludgeoning, etc.). I may be doing something wrong, or it may be that these have not been implemented fully in the C&C ruleset yet.

Here is an example of effects in use:

• You can see the effects currently in play in the combat tracker - this is with the effects lines minimised.
    • When a roll is made where an effect applied, you see the effect in square brackets, e.g. when the fighter does damage you see "[DAMAGE] Sword [+2]" the +2 comes from the DMG:2 effect in place because the fighter charged.
    • When the Giant attacks the fighter you can see the -4 being applied to the fighter's AC "[at Fighter][-4]" as the AC:-4 effect is active.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 19th, 2014 at 10:50.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information