Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Tutorials? Searched and found none

I'm looking for basic tutorials on how to modify the coreRPG or 4E rulesets with extensions. Are there any around? I did a forum search but it brought up a lot of older information that is probably out of date as I saw a thread petitioning for a modern tutorial for FG 3.x.

Once I learn how to do this I plan on making a 4E zone extension and after that I might try my hand at a line of sight mask clearing/token hiding and unhiding extension

There are very few tutorials on making rulesets and extensions. They are typically learned by using the existing examples and the ruleset reference guide. There are a couple documents in our Library to get started, but they don't go deep into how it works.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/

My suggestion is to start by unzipping a theme extension (3.5E or 4E) to get an idea of what a simple extension looks like.

Regards,
    JPG

Are you guys planning on opening it up a bit more to newbies? It's an exceptionally frustrating piece of software to mod.
    I bash.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilemann View Post
    Are you guys planning on opening it up a bit more to newbies? It's an exceptionally frustrating piece of software to mod.
    I plan on writing an extended tutorial when I get my mod done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lokiare1 View Post
    I plan on writing an extended tutorial when I get my mod done.
    Is that anywhere to be found? Does it exist yet?

Blog Entries
    While it is a bit older, the "Anatomy of a Ruleset" document still has very useful information for new developers and modders.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...veloper_Guides

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel..._a_Ruleset.pdf

And for people who might have missed it (or don't look at sticky threads) this gives some good pointers: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...oreRPG-ruleset
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Well... I worked my way through the PDF and looked at the other items. I have to say: This has nothing to do with user-friendly documentation, I am afraid.

What would help is a tutorial that shows how to generate elements for a simple character sheet from scratch and explains how the different XML-Tags interact. I will eventually get it, just like I understand the modules now, but the way there feels very thorny. And I am not even scripting yet ;-).

Blog Entries
    AstaSyneri Im doing this at the moment and, well, its hard if you are not a programmer.
    I dont think its really possible to write a tutorial on this stuff.
    You really have to learn how to program -or- ask lots of dumb(!) questions and make lots of frustrating mistakes.

Tips - open up an existing ruleset and use notepadd++ and use the "find in files" feature to search on particular keywords/elements and try to follow how they all link to each other.
    Some of its a little... convoluted.

And the threads that Trenoe mentions - many of them are him trying to make me understand something!

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    What would help is a tutorial that shows how to generate elements for a simple character sheet from scratch and explains how the different XML-Tags interact. I will eventually get it, just like I understand the modules now, but the way there feels very thorny. And I am not even scripting yet ;-).
    When you eventually get it would you mind creating such a tutorial from a beginners point of view? The problem we have is that the majority of the people who could write such a tutorial already have a very, very long list of higher priority FG technical tasks to do, so any documentation/tutorials naturally come pretty far down that list.

Perhaps you could be the tutorial champion?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information