DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How many Modules can I open in a campaign?

Running FGII 3.0.

Here's the background.

Made a campaign for my PCs- all good.
    Made a campaign for KOTS (4e)- turned it into a module and loaded it into the campaign above.
    Made a campaign for Thunderspire- turned it into a module and loaded it into the campaign above- all working fine.

So I have my main campaign with three tabs in all the categories (Story, Items, NPCs etc)

Here's the questions.

How many tabs can I have in total- do I just go on adding scenarios (modules) for these guys, so the next would be for Pyramids of Shadow, then following the WOTC Core adventure path Trollhaunt, Demon Queen etc. Can I do that?

Should I not do that because it takes a lot longer to load FG (although still not a problem) now that I have KOTS and Thunderspire attached?

If I remove one of the tabs- for example KOTS, will it remove all of the encounters listed in the XP table- I figure it'll remove all the Story, NPC, Item stuff for KOTS but does it mess with anything else?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to work out the best way to manage the campaign and not lose data etc.

Thanks in advance.

If I've not made myself clear then please message me and I'll attempt (poorly) to explain again.

Cheers goonalan
    We're playing on-line with Fantasy Grounds, and we're loving it, check out the adventures of the European Union, and the Noobs here-

Goonalan's D&D 5th Edition Campaigns.

Love you lots.

I'd recommend only opening the modules that you will be using. You can pretty much open and close them as you need - and if you make modifications to them within a campaign that specific campaign will remember the changes.

Having modules open uses up the memory use of Fantasy Grounds - the more that is in the module the more memory it will be using. Fantasy Grounds is a 32-bit application so it is limited to 2GB of memory on a 32-bit operating system and a bit less than 4GB on a 64-bit operating system. Unfortunately, you don't get much of a warning when FG is nearing it's memory limits - it may just crash randomly or other users have reported erroneous behavior. You can open Windows Task Manager and see how much memory Fantasy Grounds is using - if you're on a 32-bit operating system you'll start to have issues above 1.6GB of memory use, on a 64-bit operating system issues may occur above 3GB memory use. So, if you are using a lot of modules it may be a matter of trial-and-error to see which ones take a lot of memory and to work out which combination of modules you can have open at any point in time.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Typically, we've only seen the issue for modules with lots of very large images (4Kx4K or larger) or with 15+ data modules open at once.

Regards,
    JPG

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. Broadly, you can open however many modules as your computer has memory for. There's no hard limit.

Later on you talk about tabs, as I remember you can have about 6 or 7 tabs which would be about the same number of adventure modules with tabs, -1 for the base campaign.

Practically, you should have no more than two adventure modules open at once and most of the time you should have one. Let me give an example. At 1st level you start running H1. So you have the campaign the characters are in and a module with H1's info. You open the module to include the info into the base campaign. The characters survive to 3rd, 4th level and they begin H2. At the very start of H2 you still might want H1 open for some of the Winterhaven info, but once the characters get into Thunderspire there is no real reason to have the H1 module open. So you close it, thus only having the base campaign and the H2 module open. Suppose your Party decides to leave Thunderspire and head back to Winterhaven to talk to an NPC who owes them a favor. You would then re-open the H1 module and look up the NPC's information or Winterhaven's. Once they finish with Winterhaven or the Winterhaven NPC, close the H1 module again.

If for some reason the NPC joins the party or you need to always have him available then copy the NPC from the NPC module tab to the main campaign tab by drag and dropping and then when you close the module you will have a version in your main campaign. This type of thing is really rare, usually.

The basic idea is you have the base campaign with just the current adventure module open 99% of the time and occasionally you will have another adventure module open if the characters return to the something earlier in the adventure path or during the transition from one adventure to the other. If you continually find yourself opening an earlier module for long periods of time to access a map, or NPC you should consider moving a copy to the main campaign that also holds your characters. IE for the H series I would keep a copy of the Nentir Vale map in the main campaign with the characters as well so I didn't have to keep opening a module to get it. Once the characters start the P series then you can delete the Nentir Vale map from the main campaign knowing you can always open a module to get it later if you need it.

Hope that was what you were looking for.

Edit: Got distracted while typing and was beat out by Trenloe and JPG, left the post for the specific examples.
    Last edited by Griogre; January 22nd, 2014 at 19:31.

Got it.

Thanks
    We're playing on-line with Fantasy Grounds, and we're loving it, check out the adventures of the European Union, and the Noobs here-

Goonalan's D&D 5th Edition Campaigns.

Love you lots.

Thread Information