STAR TREK 2d20
Page 38 of 44 First ... 283637383940 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
    Is there something like this that works for Unity?
    FGU has built in layer functionality.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
    Is there something like this that works for Unity?
    There's no need for it in Unity because Unity has layers built in.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Explained in the first paragraph of post #1. Think of the different ways you can use tokens for more than just creatures - if you don't have layers you get very annoying token stacking issues, where you can't control,which token is on top of which. The layers get round the stacking issue and allow you to use tokens for so much more.

The layers extension isn't for everybody. If you're not using the advantages provided by the layers then the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it.
    Greetings Trenloe,

The above quote is from post #202, from back in early 2017 which, by the way, is roughly my last Fantasy Grounds epoch. However, my game (Pathfinder) has just now come up in my Gaming Group's rotation, and so I'm back to re-learning everything about FG that I learned during my 2 previous engagements with it (2014 and 2017).

Anyway, your statement, "The layers extension isn't for everybody", immediately gives rise to the question: Who is the target audience for the Enhanced Images (i.e. Layers) extension?

I didn't make use of this extension in my previous outings, but there are some instances coming up that I think might benefit. However, I wouldn't want to commit, and start working in that direction, if I'm likely to come back around to your caveat and find that, "... the limitations/gotchas aren't worth it."

I've read posts #1 and #2 thoroughly (and as much of this thread as I can consume in a reasonable amount of time), but I'm wondering if there is any other documentation that you created (maybe on the FG Wiki?) that would provide some guidance about the nuances of using this extension?

Oh, and by the way, the first question(s) I thought of were about map-based shortcuts (i.e. pushpins), but I think that @jwfitt's remarks (also from 2017) here might have answered them. His posts were very helpful. Even so, having an authoritative statement on that subject would be nice.

As usual, Thank you for your Service! You make Fantasy Grounds a better place for all of us.

Cheers,

- s.west

Hey swest, just to chime in briefly, I use the different layers to put things I don't want accidentally moved around by the players or myself during regular combat/play. For example, decorating a cave with various tokens of chests, skulls, etc, I place on the middle layer (and then don't touch that layer again after my initial setup process).

It can also be useful when using large tokens for "special effects" -- for example, covering a hidden passageway on a map image with a token of a wall so visually it looks like a solid wall, until the players discover it, at which point I flip to the middle layer and remove the wall token. If I had the wall token just on the top layer with the PC tokens, it would be easy to accidentally rotate it, move it when trying to move a creature, etc.

The biggest project I've used layers for was having entire sections of a dungeon be rotating tokens, which absolutely only worked because said tokens could be placed on a separate layer than the creature tokens. Otherwise, it could have been impossible to move creatures around on these very large (I think each was 15 squares x 15 squares?) tokens without them getting stacked all incorrectly on the map tokens constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    Greetings Trenloe...
    The functionality has already been explained. It allows the GM to use tokens on multiple layers.

For some the gotchas (mostly around switching layers to access certain FG functionality) are too annoying/cumbersome. The gotchas are documented at the start of this thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

never mind. It was another ext with it. I am trying to get the grid to line up though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arcanjl; May 30th, 2020 at 21:54.

Couple things,
    1)The grid is so dark at top layer, is there a way to lighten that (I assume it is because it is showing all 3 layers of the grid). Super nitpick I know, but if there was... why not?
    2) Is there a way to make the bottom layer the default for players, and I can place other stuff on the other two?
    Last edited by arcanjl; June 7th, 2020 at 16:41.

Hi. Downloaded the latest version and the Log throws up
    "[ERROR] Extension Info Load (Enhanced Images): '<', hexadecimal value 0x3C, is an invalid attribute character. Line 16, position 297."

Quote Originally Posted by Bifford View Post
    Hi. Downloaded the latest version and the Log throws up
    "[ERROR] Extension Info Load (Enhanced Images): '<', hexadecimal value 0x3C, is an invalid attribute character. Line 16, position 297."
    Don’t use it in Unity. See comments at the top of this page.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 29th, 2020 at 22:23.

Thread Information