5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 11 of 30 First ... 91011121321 ... Last

We are all just pleased you have it working now. This is a great program and community.

I am curious about this solution in regards to getting around port forwarding isues when on public wifi connections. This can bypass port fwding problems? Is there any additiona setup required or does this happen automatically when logging in to FG when using a VPN?

Also, from what I see, these are much cheaper now. Any companies you reccomend?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adamyaz View Post
    I am curious about this solution in regards to getting around port forwarding isues when on public wifi connections. This can bypass port fwding problems? Is there any additiona setup required or does this happen automatically when logging in to FG when using a VPN?
    If you get the right VPN provider (see below) then yes, issues of Port Forwarding on your local network connection are bypassed and move to the VPN provider side. Simply start your VPN connection before starting Fantasy Grounds, so that FG can read the VPN IP address. Then your players connect with the FG alias as usual, the players don't need any additional software or setup.

Also, from what I see, these are much cheaper now. Any companies you reccomend?
    PureVPN with a static IP address add-on is known to work well. You don't need to do any additional setup.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So as I understand it, as a player only you do not need port fwding open? Only if your hosting?
    I am asking to see if I can connect to a game on a public wifi while travelling VS my personal router at my house. Thanks!

So as I understand it, as a player only you do not need port fwding open? Only if your hosting?
    Correct.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I am asking to see if I can connect to a game on a public wifi while travelling VS my personal router at my house. Thanks!
    That is correct. You only need to forward the port if you are hosting.

I have had HMA since early 2016. It used to work. Sometime Spring 2017 it quit working for me.
    I got a new Win10 desktop PC in February 2017, but I ran at least a couple of the new PF Kingmaker sessions on this since then and it worked okay, actually considerably better than my old Win7 laptop PC there were no complaints from the players.
    But now I fail the connection test and indeed players can not log on to my table in FG.
    I'm paying HMA $79us/yr and FG is the only reason I have it. Together with my Ultimate FG lic. And I have hosted about 5 sessions since buying FG ultimate in 2014 and starting HMA in Feb 2016. The HMA sub doesn't run out until Feb 2018. Which is just added aggravation.
    A while back in the Spring 2017 I saw somewhere here that HMA was making a change that would prevent it working. Since this happened around when it quit on me I figured it was HMA. But apparently people are still having success with HMA?
    I have HMA set for OpenVPN (it also fails with PPTP which is the only other option) and I have tried with a couple location near me in the USA Eastern time zone.
    HMA is set for direct connection (no proxy), secure IP bind is disabled, IP address changes are not enabled, load balancing is not enabled
    In my windows firewall I have 2 incoming rules enabled related to this... one for TCP port 1802 and one I just added for UDP port 1802
    Those are set to allow edge/NAT traversal, restricted to the Fantasy Grounds exe application (also tried without that restriction no difference), allow across all domains and interface types
    My ISP is Verizon over an LTE link to a little black box, it uses NAT traversal and dynamic IP with no option to change that or configure port forwarding etc, so the VPN is my way to tunnel thru that.
    I run Cat-something Ethernet straight from my PC to said little black box. No WiFi for this.
    The Win10 firewall is also set to notify me when an incoming connection is blocked, and I receive no such notifications during the connection test (or any time)
    I would think this is a pretty solid indication that the problem is with the VPN, but I am not sure of that
    When I click FG retrieve address it does retrieve the correct address shown in HMA. Just the connection test fails.

I'd like to run a bunch of FG games.
    Has someone already figured out that HMA no longer works for FG hosting? Or has Verizon just gotten better at foiling its customers attempts to use their network for anything more than email and web browsing?
    Any idea what to try to get this to work?
    Last edited by IrishBouzouki; August 21st, 2017 at 09:37.

HMA will no longer work as they have gone to shared IP addresses. I haven't heard anyone say that they have got it to work and my setup that was working is no longer working.

PureVPN is what people have been using successfully recently.

I'd recommend contacting HMA and asking for a refund of your remaining subscription.

What if you do not want to use PureVPN... Does Hamachi still work as of August 2017? Or are there alternatives to PureVPN that are known to work?

Blog Entries
    Hamachi works, but it requires your players to also use it.

Any VPN that has a dedicated IPv4 and allows port forwarding should work. But I don't recall reports other than PureVPN that people have actually used.

There are instructions around here somewhere on how to lease/rent a personal server and configure a VPN on it. The cost if you find a coupon code can be very enticing if you don't mind installing things yourself.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information