DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Making maps using modular images. Gimp or FG Unity?

I found some really great modular images somewhere some time ago. I used gimp to put it all together, so I can combine them into one layer. A bonus on this is now I know how to use gimp way better then before. I also did it through gimp because I was worried about the amount of computer resources it may have taken up by having hundreds of layers on FGU. Does this worry have any foundation? Or does putting the base of the map together on gimp actually lower the amount of computer resources used when running these types of maps? I do know if I have trouble with lagging then I can take the gimp made ones and scale it down and lower the quality of the map and make them smaller in file size but this also effects visual quality too. I also noticed that if I placed the same layers from FGU next to the map I made in gimp, the FGU ones look better. most of the people I plan on playing this with are kids and do not have high end computers and only have integrated GPUs and not much ram. They have basic computers that only meet the recommended system requirements. I'm just trying to find the best way to do this with out having to spends hours of time redoing everything. Thank You.

Blog Entries
    Actually, once the image from Gimp is imported into FGU, it will probably take more resources than if built in FGU if you want it at the same resolution as the native tiles. This is because an image file of say size 10,0000x10,000 pixels made from 10 different background tile that are each 1000x1000 pixels in size (so a variation of 100 different tile instances arranges in a 10x10 grid) when created in something like Gimp is going to be 10,000x10,000 pixels. While in FGU, it will reuse that 10 different tiles so you end up with only 10x1000x1000 pixels in memory.

Yes, FGU layers (and effects etc) are going to have some additional overhead, but no where near the 10 times more pixels in the Gimp image. And, if you use fewer tiles, you'll save even more. Now if every tile is unique, and if you start placing lots of decorating images on top in FGU, then you won't see those savings and might end of with more pixels in memory.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you, that makes senses. I do export the gimp file into a .png file, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter because I don't think you can import a gimp file into fantasy grounds.

Blog Entries
    Correct, FGU doesn't recognize xcf files (or well, I've never tried but don't think they would).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I was reborn when Unity provided the map tools. Before that I used Affinity Photos or MapTools to make maps out of my tiles library, but now it is all in one. Fantastic! Even the limited list of FX are sufficient for all my needs. I hope SW expand even more, but the time of day nailed it very well.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information