FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I have only been around a few months and FG-3 was my first VTT con so complete newbee perspective here.

I am wondering if reaching out to the various companies and asking about posting something on thier sites or maybe even having a banner put up for a month ahead of time has been considered or may have been done? I noticed that the vast majority of games were Pathfinder Society and don't remember seeing anything on Paizo's site about the Con. I know they tried to do a VTT day which didn't seem to go well on FG but maybe doing the reverse with them would bring in more people.

Same with Savage Worlds, Cthulu, Castles&Crusade, Star Wars, etc.

What about doing the same with DrivethruRPG and Adventure-a-Week since they sell modules for FG?

Reach out to some of the resource sites that are used alot by FG/VTTers like RPGmapshare and others.

I know there are some people that do podcasts/have blogs related to RPGing so maybe doing an inteview with them about the Con and how it works might be something to explore. They get some show content and you may reach some people that aren't aware of VTTs or are playing other VTTs and have never tried FG.

Just shooting out some ideas here and since I am not in anyway familiar with how banners work or how much stuff like that might cost or how difficult it would be to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by jshauber View Post
    I have only been around a few months and FG-3 was my first VTT con so complete newbie perspective here.

I am wondering if reaching out to the various companies and asking about posting something on their sites or maybe even having a banner put up for a month ahead of time has been considered or may have been done?
    I think that any of the companies that sell their rulesets for FG should be approached and we should have something ready for them to put on their site as you suggest. It is quite possible they have no idea that we are running a con. I tried to post a thread on the community forums of the companies that support FG. Visitors have to visit the forum to see the thread of course.

I noticed that the vast majority of games were Pathfinder Society and don't remember seeing anything on Paizo's site about the Con. I know they tried to do a VTT day which didn't seem to go well on FG but maybe doing the reverse with them would bring in more people.

Same with Savage Worlds, Cthulu, Castles&Crusade, Star Wars, etc.
    I think that paizo is an interesting case because they are working on a VTT. We did have posts on their forums to promote PFS games, and the regular PFS GMs had got together to organize when and which scenarios would be run during the con. Paizo supported the PFS as they would for any FTF con, and there were boons to be won. I have my doubts if they would promote the convention on their site, but we are free to promote it via the PFS and other threads in their forums.

Savage Worlds, Cthuhlu , C&S, Rolemaster, are games that are available as paid rulesets so the publisher has a business reason to advertise the con if they think it would result in more interest and sales of their games and rulesets. They should be approached, and they might offer up incentives to run a game at the con as well ( maybe a free pdf or something).

FFG is unlikely to formerly support the con because of copyright issues related to Star Wars IP being digitized. Lucas Arts didn't give FFG the license to do "paid for" digital material. They wouldn't directly benefit from a "Star Wars" ruleset for FG, and wouldn't be allowed to offer one up for sale.

What about doing the same with DrivethruRPG and Adventure-a-Week since they sell modules for FG?
    I think it is a good idea. DTRPG provided support to Virtuacon 2 weeks previous to FG Con ( free pdfs ) they would probably do the same for us, especially now that we have a track record.

Reach out to some of the resource sites that are used alot by FG/VTTers like RPGmapshare and others.
    Hadn't thought of those sites. Good idea.

I know there are some people that do podcasts/have blogs related to RPGing so maybe doing an interview with them about the Con and how it works might be something to explore. They get some show content and you may reach some people that aren't aware of VTTs or are playing other VTTs and have never tried FG.
    I'm sure there are plenty of bloggers and podcasters that are looking for content. Add it to our list

Just shooting out some ideas here and since I am not in anyway familiar with how banners work or how much stuff like that might cost or how difficult it would be to put together.
    We have some talented artists and programmers in this community who I'm sure have and will continue to step up to the plate.

Thanks for giving a newbie perspective, for those of us who have been involved for a while it is always good to get that different perspective.

I am going to put a list together of the Forums we need to use and everyone can add to it as we go.

You guys should definitely utilize Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
    You guys should definitely utilize Reddit.
    Never used it before, never been to the site until today. Are you willing to give us some tips on how we would use it ?

Certainly, I'll give what information I have.

I last brought this up when Michael Tumey (Gameprinter on this forum) launched his Mapping Tutorial Kickstarter. That thread can be found here,

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-graphics-apps

On post #19, I gave a little rundown on what reddit is.

Reddit is driven by user submitted content. Since there is SO MUCH content posted (and re-posted) on an hourly basis, you have to make sure you submit your content to not only the appropriate subreddit, but also to a subreddit that has a decent amount of visibility. Taking gameprinter's kickstarter for example, he posted his advertisement on the worldbuilding subreddit, which would seem to be an appropriate place for it, BUT that subreddit *only* has 21K subscribers in it, with about 30 folks being online at any one time throughout the day. Compare that to the rpg subreddit which has 60K subscribers and, more importantly about 150 + people actively online at ALMOST ALL THE TIME throughout the day. The DnD subreddit has similar numbers.

Reddit has a user base that is worldwide and its use can be tracked (and is) by origin. The americans peak out, then go to sleep, then the australians come out in force, followed by the europeans etc.

As I mentioned before, a HUGE amount of content gets posted to reddit. Since the visibility of material is determined by upvotes and downvotes, a thread can quickly be buried to the casual user (you can always use the search function to find what you want).

To maximize exposure on reddit, one should sorta monitor which subreddits might be of interest (DnD,rpg,pathfinder, gurps), and watch the activity (subreddit stats are displayed on the right hand of the screen) of the subreddit during the course of 24 hours (or so) during the weekday and the weekends (different folks crawl out of the shadows on the weekends).

Now going back to gameprinter's KS. I saw that he posted once in r/worldbuilding, which is, as mentioned before, an appropriate place for it. But it is not hugely active. Over the course of the next few weeks of his KS, I posted links to his KS in the rpg,DnD,gaming etc. subreddits. I reposted them every now and then on a cyclical basis. I'm fairly certain that the spikes in his KS directly correlate to the advertisements on reddit. It can easily be checked.

That's how you should use it as an advertiser! As a user, maybe you should stay away Reddit is highly addictive (redditors scour the internet for information,stories,pictures that is of interest. Really interesting stuff gets upvoted to high visibility! Everything is only a mouse-click away.) It's like the muds of the 90s and WoW etc. People waste their lives there!

EDIT: Err, I just checked out r/gaming stats. There are 4 MILLION subscribers, with 13,000 people online!
    Last edited by seycyrus; November 11th, 2013 at 02:04.

Re: Getting the word out...

As soon as the dates get locked in I promise you I will promote it on our group's site, our facebook group & page, and wherever and whenever else I can.

I would suggest a FGCON Facebook PAGE (not a Group) so that interested parties can stay abreast of FGCON activies via "liking" page. If you create a FB Group, well, that would create some redundancy to the forums, which is why I suggested the PAGE. Furthermore, with a lil web magic, you can intergrate a FB page's content on to a website and vice-versa pretty easy. Twitter is too real-time me thinks to be an effective promotional vehicle this far out...

Maybe distribute (or otherwise make available) FGCon banners, signature banners, etc.

Like a conventional (nyuk, nyuk) con, maybe you should have committee meetings to discuss this kinda stuff. I for one, would be happy to contribute as I think FGCON is an utterly fantastic idea for the FG world.

Any assistance me or my group can provide, we'll be happy to.

Blog Entries
    some good ideas there. I think we will probably lock in a date in the next month and then we can start to build up some awareness. weve been recruiting some more non-PFS GMs for the next event (nothing against the PFS GMs - you guys did a great job and we want to emulate some of your success). i will create 2 or 3 different banners once we have the date.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    we've been recruiting some more non-PFS GMs for the next event (nothing against the PFS GMs - you guys did a great job and we want to emulate some of your success). i will create 2 or 3 different banners once we have the date.
    Just out of curiosity how is the recruiting happening ? Wasn't aware of it.

Blog Entries
    ive cast a "summon all GM's" spell which i recently found in an notebook.
    ive basically been looking up some active GMs in other rulesets and making contact via PMs.
    i didnt need to cast the spell in your direction as you are already on the list.
    feel free to ping me any names/emails/nicknames of anyone you would like me to summon

<<<----- non-PF GM... See? Magic is REAL!!!

Thread Information