STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Interesting. how hard would it be to start kingmaker at book 2?
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Quote Originally Posted by Skellan View Post
    Interesting. how hard would it be to start kingmaker at book 2?
    It would be fairly easy - just show the players all of the area they would have explored in book 1, and let them know which areas they found and who they make friends/enemies with.

Just to expand on what Olodrin said - there is "some" RP in book 2, but not a huge amount as it is written. It is similar to book 1 - you're still exploring "hexes" in the stolen lands and this will take up the majority of your time, the difference is that you have founded a kingdom and you have a kingdom building process each month - this is briefly described in the player's guide. You have a council structure - but this primarily gives you bonuses in the kingdom building phase each month. Now - where does the RP side come in? There are a number of events during book 2 that can have a significant impact on the kingdom at the time of the event and in the future - there are a lot of opportunities for role-playing with these events, but there are not that many of them in book 2 (we've encountered 3 role-playing heavy kingdom events so far in book 2 and we're nearing the end). Having said all of that, there is a large scope for role-playing and intrigue around the council and kingdom events - but that would have to be built or expanded on by the GM, I think this is what Olodrin was referring to. As Kingmaker is a sandbox then the GM and the players have more options to shape the gaming as they wish...
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 26th, 2013 at 17:39.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    ... who they mate friends/enemies with...
    Hehehehe, that's not how my Kingmaker game went but I guess YMMV. :P
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Hehehehe, that's not how my Kingmaker game went but I guess YMMV. :P
    Oops... comes from living in Australia for 7 years - mate = friend. Or, it may be a typo; or it may be a X rated Kingmaker campaign!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The Midnight Mirror has some good roleplaying elements and has a nice old school warhammer meets Call of Cthulhu vibe

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Now - where does the RP side come in? There are a number of events during book 2 that can have a significant impact on the kingdom at the time of the event and in the future - there are a lot of opportunities for role-playing with these events, but there are not that many of them in book 2 (we've encountered 3 role-playing heavy kingdom events so far in book 2 and we're nearing the end). Having said all of that, there is a large scope for role-playing and intrigue around the council and kingdom events - but that would have to be built or expanded on by the GM, I think this is what Olodrin was referring to. As Kingmaker is a sandbox then the GM and the players have more options to shape the gaming as they wish...
    For GMs who have a lot of time & interest to pad up the AP, there is much potential for intrigue and "out-of-AP" role playing in Kingmaker. As GM, I have played up the political intrigue threats lurking out of reach to address immediately, but foreshadowing future events. I wish I had more time to build up on the story & role playing depth!

As Nickademus mentioned though, your Kingmaker experience will vary depending on the interests of the group. If you have a tactically minded group, it will focus mainly on exploring & defeating encounters.

Cheers for the info everyone. I have some good ideas for stuff to throw at them
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Thread Information