DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Parsing 3rd party sourcebooks

Would I be able to parse a non wizards book into fg2. Specifically Clockwork Adventures: A Steampunk Campaign Sourcebook.
    ..... now where is my hat?

Caveat: I didn't write any of the parsing or scraping tools, but I've worked with them. They may have capabilities I'm unaware of, in which case one of the authors will probably correct me.

If it's a source book for 4th edition D&D and uses the standard stat block formatting that Wizards uses, maybe? The scraper (tool for extracting text from a PDF into .txt) and the parser (tool for parsing that .txt into an FG-specific .xml format) are looking for fairly specifically formatted blocks of information, so if the publisher hasn't used that format, the scraper and parser aren't going to work. If it's for a different system entirely, then I don't believe the parser will work at all. You might be able to create the text file manually and then use the parser to translate it to FG .xml, but you'd have to format the text file they way the parser is expecting to see the information for a 4e file. Probably faster to just manually transfer the information to FG.

Sorry!

Ah that's fine. I can learn how to enter the info manually if needed. Thanks.
    ..... now where is my hat?

Depending on what you are doing Tenian's old parser would be better since it was originally written to be used by copy and pasting in information from PDFs and then marked up. It doesn't scrape anymore but the mark up stuff should all work. While there are markup samples in the Documents installed with it, as I remember there is a lot more stuff you can do than shown in the examples.

Thread Information