STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Out of date rulesets?

I'm getting ready to start up a BECMI D&D campaign, so I started tinkering around with which ruleset I was going to use.

Labyrinth Lords obviously seems like the most accurate choice, though I'm sure OSRIC would work fine as well. However I've noticed with both rulesets that some functionality seems to be bugged. I'm unable to attach a token or portrait to a character sheet in either of them. It doesn't seem like there's double-click roll functionality, I'm unable to drag weapon rolls to the hotkeys, and for both of them, I can't open up modules (even generic token modules). I double checked with both the 3.5E & 4E rulesets and didn't have any issues.

Are these two rulesets out of date now?
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Oops. Nevermind. I forgot I had updated to FG3. I rolled it back and now they are both working. (And I now realize the player has to set the portrait/token in LL.)

Does this mean they'll break when FG3 goes to release?
    Last edited by Xorn; September 26th, 2013 at 04:01.
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM

Xorn,

If you can help walk me through how to see the items you saw above for those 2 rulesets, I'll see what I can do. I am working very hard to maintain as much backward compatibility as I can, so I just need to be able to recreate the issue locally and see what can be done.

Thanks,
    JPG

Sure, I'll get specific error messages when I get home, but basically once I updated to FG3, almost everything was giving an error when opened, from the combat tracker to the token box. When I tried to open a module (pogs) the book kind of froze and the window started dragging around like I was holding the edge.
    Ultimate License DM

Blog Entries
    i hope this doesnt come across as unhelpful - but go Castles&Crusades for all (most of) your old school needs!
    its a pretty well featured ruleset and its about to become better again...

I think what you are seeing was some extra warning messages that I added to point out when resources (font, icon, etc) were either not defined for a control or were missing. I just tried both of those rulesets, and that is what I was seeing.

The next v3.0 release will remove some of the warning messages for older rulesets, as well as fix a bug where the console window was opening for warnings when it shouldn't.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I would love to see an all-purpose "old school" ruleset that is updated with many of the basic features that exist in the 3.5/4e rulesets - a more functional combat tracker, double-click to roll, etc. I use OSRIC because I want to use the THAC0 system for attack rolls, but the ruleset is very bare-bones. It would be great to have a ruleset that was compatible with BECMI and AD&D (1e/2e) games. But I know there probably isn't a huge motivation for someone to do that, with C&C covering many people's old school gaming needs.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    i hope this doesnt come across as unhelpful - but go Castles&Crusades for all (most of) your old school needs!
    its a pretty well featured ruleset and its about to become better again...
    re: C&C
    I appreciate the suggestion, but C&C is a retroclone of AD&D, and it's just not what I'm looking for. I own pretty much every BECMI book ever printed, from the box sets to the adventure modules, even all the GAZ books. AD&D just complicated things past where I found them fun, and while C&C definitely improves upon that, I want to try going back to the old days, of my most enjoyable campaigns. Now if I'm mistaken and the C&C ruleset is using attack tables to hit, and Saving Throws, then I stand corrected and would like details. Last time I remember looking at a C&C book though, AC was flipped over and your attack bonus was close to your HD, with a small adjustment for your class.

re: Ruleset
    If you think OSRIC is barebones, try LL! The only "function" it has is that when you drag at attack off the attack table, it will show why you need to hit the AC you drug, as well as showing the target you need for your Saving Throws. Everything else? Just text fields. Rogue abilities work on the abilities tab, but the spells section is wonky--I can't figure out what Casting Mode is supposed to do, because I can't figure out how to specify the number of times a spell is memorized.
    Last edited by Xorn; September 27th, 2013 at 13:28.
    Ultimate License DM

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    re: C&C
    I appreciate the suggestion, but C&C is a retroclone of AD&D, and it's just not what I'm looking for. I own pretty much every BECMI book ever printed, from the box sets to the adventure modules, even all the GAZ books. AD&D just complicated things past where I found them fun, and while C&C definitely improves upon that, I want to try going back to the old days, of my most enjoyable campaigns. Now if I'm mistaken and the C&C ruleset is using attack tables to hit, and Saving Throws, then I stand corrected and would like details. Last time I remember looking at a C&C book though, AC was flipped over and your attack bonus was close to your HD, with a small adjustment for your class.
    I think you are remembering C&C correctly - no separate attack or save tables. The only ting I'd add is that the mod for class is very similar at lower levels, but much different as levels progress. A first level Fighter has a Base to Hit (BtH) of +1, and a 1st level Wizard has +0... their attack capabilities are very similar, the main difference being that wizards are limited in their armor and weapon choices, so the advantage is still with the fighter. That said, most characters have a chance at being successful in combat at low levels. However, the more levels increase, the larger the disparity: a 10th level Fighter has a BtH of +10, and a 10th level Wizard has a BtH of +3... but the wizard has gained a lot of spell power by then.

So it's an interesting dynamic that classes begin much closer in their abilities to hit in melee, but diverge as they go up in levels and develop their own special class abilities.

This is all very much FWIW -- I enjoy the C&C game mechanics, but you don't have to... as long as you're having fun, that's all that is important.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

There's a lot I like about C&C; I really think they did a lot of good things with it (like flipping AC around). I'm just feeling nostalgia for BECMI I think.
    Ultimate License DM

Thread Information