DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomwhale View Post
    Much of what you've listed sounds quite generic to FG - were you after a general FG guide, or something more Savage Worlds specific ?
    I was looking at a guide that was in the order of the D&D guides on the website, + SW specific things + some more points for GMs on how to prepare their games (that information imho is the hardest to find).

What would you consider SW specific?

That makes sense - from my point of view, 80% of the 4E FG guide is equally applicable to the Savage Worlds ruleset - aside from slightly adjusted graphics, it's all the same.

The differences are where I guess it's much less clear (e.g. character sheets, combat tracker) which is where there is simply no documentation.

So producing a complete guide to the ruleset without repeating a lot of the 4E basics would be hard, but to exclude them would be quite odd to a new user coming to use FG + Savage Worlds for the first time. This has always been my dilemma on what scope to do for a Savage Worlds manual.

Game preparation is also quite non-specific to Savage Worlds. Having your image / story and other assets ready to go is something covered well so far in videos by Xorn and others, but perhaps they could be coaxed into making text guides to these steps too.

I guess the separation between Savage Worlds and the core FG engine isn't a clear one to users, but it means a lot of what you are looking for can be applied to any FG ruleset, with perhaps a Savage Worlds features guide to decorate that knowledge.

Apologies - I'm shotgunning my thoughts out without too much filtering right now; not sure I'm being much use / making much sense yet ! In any case, hopefully it's not coming across as too argumentative, more "several points for discussion" (which is the aim !)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomwhale View Post
    Apologies - I'm shotgunning my thoughts out without too much filtering right now; not sure I'm being much use / making much sense yet ! In any case, hopefully it's not coming across as too argumentative, more "several points for discussion" (which is the aim !)
    No, that's fine. I am listening (reading, really), quite intently. Go ahead.

As I said before - videos are a nice tool, but are not very efficient time-wise. I can scan a document a lot quicker for the parts that I need than I can watch a video that maybe just tells me things I already know.

I can read!

It's not aimed at Savage Worlds, but the conversion document attached at the bottom of post #1 in this thread will give you some good pointers for game preparation such as story structure, encounter and map links, map shortcuts, etc..

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ounds&p=129738
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here's an example on what I'd like documentation for: to the left of the modifier star in the Savage Worlds ruleset, there are three little buttons. They apparently don't exist in the 4e rules (or at least I couldn't find out anything about them) and trial and error hasn't been enlightening. If there was at least a document that referred to, say, the 4e documentation but pointed out where the Savage Worlds ruleset are different and how these different things work, that would be really great. (By the way, if anyone can tell me what those buttons do, it would be great.)

Not quite as deepest, darkest Wales as before.
    Although not manuals, there are, of course, Doswelk's videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk

Always very useful.
    Time Zone: GMT

Preferred Systems: Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu

Currently Running:
    - Savage Worlds (Deadlands Noir) Campaign

Currently Playing:
    - Savage Worlds (Realms of Cthulhu) Campaign
    - Savage Worlds (Supers) Campaign
    - Savage Worlds (50 Fathoms) Campaign

Planned:
    - Savage Worlds - Space 1889

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scionofnyarlathotep View Post
    Although not manuals, there are, of course, Doswelk's videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk

Always very useful.
    Not if you can't use sound or are looking for something specific ;-) (I hear myself as a broken record now ;-)).

Quote Originally Posted by mafh View Post
    Here's an example on what I'd like documentation for: to the left of the modifier star in the Savage Worlds ruleset, there are three little buttons. They apparently don't exist in the 4e rules (or at least I couldn't find out anything about them) and trial and error hasn't been enlightening. If there was at least a document that referred to, say, the 4e documentation but pointed out where the Savage Worlds ruleset are different and how these different things work, that would be really great. (By the way, if anyone can tell me what those buttons do, it would be great.)
    These are one of many features from Ikael's extension which got merged into the new version. They are for toggling whether to apply wound, fatigue and encumbrance penalties to your next roll.

Whilst I'm pleased to say that the Savage Worlds ruleset benefited greatly being able to integrate the core part of Ikael's work into it, regrettably this came without documentation, and a some months effort integrating and bug fixing. I made the call to take on new features without having them accurately documented, and now freely admit this shortfall might cause issues for newer players.

Hopefully whatever AstaSyneri, myself (and others?) can figure out will go some way to bridging this gap.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely. Don't expect miracles, though. I am still in the process of learning the tool and with a full-time job and three kids this is not going to be complete in just a few weeks.

Part III of the documentation (Part I: Player's View, Part II: GM's View for running things) I would like to see in a task-oriented way (for information just like Trenloe pointed out above) for preparing adventures, off the top of my head:

• How to build your own module
    • How to prepare maps & encounters
    • How to generate Extras (NPCs in general, Wild Card or not, in fact)
    • How to build your own custom token set
    • How to customize your screen (for example exchange the background picture)
    • How to efficiently use the quick tab on the bottom of the screen

Do you have any other topics/ideas that fit this approach? I know much of this would be part of "How to build a module", but I'd like to offer smaller tidbits as well, to get GMs started so much more easily.

And, Phantomwhale and I will need more help. Anybody else volunteering?

Apologies if this is starting to become a recurring answer, but almost everything in Part III is generic between SavageWorlds and FantasyGrounds in general (and a large number of them have been addressed on the forums several times, for what it's worth).

From my point of view, I really want to detail the tools and features that are added into SavageWorlds as that's a fairly large scope of work in and of itself !

Thread Information