STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: 3.4 Issues

This is my first bump in the road with my love affair for Fantasy Grounds. I'm pretty peeved at the moment. All the work I have put into developing my own modules, books, library, etc. will now have to be re-tooled to work with 3.4? I've put hundreds of hours into developing a game I can play with my family & friends which is now not useful; where can I find a list of the changes I need to make to any work I've done for myself?

I'm not involved with the release process (just the development), so can't be 100% sure what has occurred here, but I'll try...

According to the release thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...on-3-4-out-now), Deadlands: Reloaded update should have been published. Have you made sure the your Updater Settings are set to "Live" and you have all the products selected in the box of products ? Once you have (or even if you already have), try running the updater again - might have been unfortunate timing.

You also mention concern about work done on modules / books / libraries. The data structure for Savage Worlds has NOT changed (although it has evolved a little) so any modules / books / libraries that worked with 3.3 SHOULD work with 3.4 - the incompatibility will be with extensions that bring in new code (such as the Deadlands Fate Chip tool, or a setting that adds new attributes to a player character). All commercial extensions should be patched very soon, if not now. So if you still have something you've worked on that no longer works, please let me know, but I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding on what needs fixing and what is being / already fixed.

I would HIGHLY recommend to EVERYONE that whilst going to the new version, you SWITCH OFF any third party extensions, and yes, that even includes Ikael's. Whilst these are still on, all bets are off for what is causing problems. I know Ikael has already prepared an updated 3.4 version of his extension - it's highly unlikely that any third-party extension would work across releases due to the programming model we use.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

@Ben

Unfortunately, if I switch off Ikael's Library Extension, everything in Savage Worlds is broke. I did several updates by using the update function with my name and password input correctly.

It seems to me that I am going to have to re-code 2 settings I have created (or, am in the midst of creating); they, too, are not working in the SW environment. This would seem to highly discourage people to create their own material and to use only "official" items.

I've kept hitting update every 30 minutes or so; maybe I can delete the Dreadlands: Reloaded module/extension and hit [UPDATE] to see if that fixes it.

Found a fix, had to delete the specific EXT files (DL:R, Savage Suzerain, Sundered Skies, & Rippers) and then hit update. They only halfway updated (or something like that) without deleting the files.

Glad the official stuff is working.

As for home-grown stuff, there is a balance between allowing faster ruleset development and maintaining compatability. This release is the first that has taken a larger jump forward in functionality, but at the cost of heavier work keeping the extensions in step. However, I was getting so many support requests from people trying to use Ikael's extension with commercial extensions, it seemed this was the right path to take.

That said, I was not aware of anyone (other than Ikael) writing home-grown extensions to any degree, so prioritised ruleset advancement beyond backward compatibility, although to be clear, the FGII extension model on top of the ruleset as currently written is sadly always going to be very powerful, but also quite brittle.

The better news is I would be interested to lend a hand in upgrading the code - it might help me understand more ways I can make the Savage Worlds ruleset easier to extend in a less brittle manner. So there are some useful hooks in there now which generally work between versions, but only in places where I have found a need to add them - e.g. for my own extensions.

Feel free to PM / email me about this. If you have the copy in source control - even better !

Cheers,
    Ben (-PW-)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

I can confirm that deleting extensions to download worked on issues with Deadlands. And that minimal PG for DL: Noir still seems to work fine as well.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by sakmerlin37 View Post
    I haven't activated Ikael's version with the DL:R modules due to incompatibility. I'll download the newest one now...
    I am glad to state that after SW v3.4 update DL:R extension is compatible with the Enhancement Extensions. See the SW Enhancement Extensions thread for more information
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thanks for the hard work on that, Ikael. As I've been developing my own stuff for FGII, I can see how difficult it is for everybody to stay on top of things.

Blog Entries
    I can't find a way to deal adventure deck cards to players. I tried dropping cards in the character selection window or straight in the adv. card tab of the pc's sheets but nothing happens

I have an ultimate license and am using the adventure deck. I have updated the SW ruleset but still have 2.9.4 for FG2 (Cant get it to update). I am using all of Ikael's extensions but the same bug occured before I had them.

Can anyone offer any help? I am running that game tonight and would like to get the adventure deck working. This will be my first attempt with 3.4 since its released.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    but still have 2.9.4 for FG2 (Cant get it to update).
    2.9.4 is the latest live release of FG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information