DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Getting the MARKED effect to work

Hi All,

I think this post belongs here, but let me know if it doesn't.

In trying to help a player use the marked condition, we came across a little issue that I'm sure is user error. Whenever I (the DM) dragged the MARKED effect from the character's sheet onto either the monster token or the monster entry on the combat tracker, it worked beautifully, meaning that the marked monster was automatically at -2 when attacking players other than the one that marked it. The mark also expired appropriately.

When the player dropped the effect on either the monster token or the monster entry on the combat tracker, it didn't work at all.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't had a problem with marks per se. However the marked condition's duration is made by *when* the mark was dropped not by who and that might be the part of your player's problem.

Typically, I've seen problems with marks when they are not dropped on the character's initiative. This will usually happen after a player has ended his turn and realized he forgot to mark so he marks on the initiative after his turn. The other problem is some defenders mark on swing so if they make an opportunity attack or some other attack caused by another PC giving them a free attack the mark is not going to be dropped on the right initiative.

The other problem sometimes happens to all effects not just marks. It's a problem with durations in general. Typically the mark (or other effect) doesn't drop at the right time because the PC(s)/Monsters are sharing the same initiative number. I've found it best that after the initiative order is determined and before combat starts, to change initiatives so the order is maintained but the PCs and monster groups are all on different numbers. Usually, I just roll the initiative number up on down with the mouse wheel. You will see this problem more at higher levels because lots more effects are thrown around by PCs and monsters.

There is one more gotcha with marks by monsters. If a PC is marked and the monster that marked him is killed the PC is going to have a -2 to hit until the dead monster's initiative comes up again. Sometimes you can just let this go if the PC isn't going to make any attacks before then but if the PC is going to make an attack before the dead monster's initiative, the DM should remove the mark on the PC by hand to get rid of the -2 to hit.
    Last edited by Griogre; July 17th, 2013 at 19:34.

Thread Information