STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    some character from my campaign, all level 13 with not to many magic items
    Attached Files Attached Files

So, I was a bit disappointed at the lack of characters in The Vault. So have decided to try and post a few. I'm going to try to add 7 characters in 7 days.

Here is my first...

Notes for character development in my campaign
    Background Options
    1) Extra background option tables are available from Rolemaster Companion I Section 4.5
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)
    2) Spend one (1) background option to roll 1-100 on a table. GM overrule/consultation possible.
    3) Spend two (2) background options to select from a table. GM overrule/consultation possible.

Optional rules used for character development
    Character Law
    1) Option 5: Monk / Bard Controversy
    2) Option 9: Hobbies (Primary hobby gains 4 ranks. Secondary hobby gains 2 ranks.)
    - NB: Select from the Secondary Skill Table
    3) Option 11.3: Additional Development Points for Secondary Skills
    4) Option 16: Power Point Development

Spell Law
    1) Option 2.1: Non Random Spell List Acquisition by List Portions
    - NB: Spell rank cost is doubled for Pure and Hybrid spell users

Kari Swiftfingers - Female Human Thief

Appearance - Kari is a slightly built human female. Her early life has left her so thin as to appear almost gaunt. Kari doesn’t like jewellery and never wears any. She has light brown hair and piercing brown eyes.

Personality - "Nothing is ever for free". If Kari had a motto for life this would be it. Her early life has made her cold and aloof to most people. She is very intense and hardly ever makes friends. Kari has made the most of her natural intellect, drives a hard bargain and isn’t prone to any altruistic trends. Everyone has to pay! She seeks to avoid combat where possible, but if pressed she isn’t constrained by morality and will do what is necessary to win.

Background
    Kari never knew her parents. Her earliest memories are of a room full of crying children and being hungry. Over the next few years, the room changed a couple of times, but there were always crying children, hunger and punishments (often for reasons not understood). At the age of 9, she escaped the orphanage and lived on the streets. By 10, life for Kari was perfect. She knew the merchants who could be relied on for free food (even if almost spoiled) and she had a couple of warm places to sleep unnoticed by the City Watch.

Her first real troubles began at 13, a run in with a gang of local youths. “Steal on our patch and you pay us our share” was their attitude. The gang leader demanded payment in coin (or flesh). Only her agility and foot speed saved her that day. However, realising that she couldn’t avoid the gang indefinitely, Kari returned one night with a heavy piece of wood. Sneaking past the sentries, she caught the gang leader asleep and proceeded to bash him with the makeshift club.

Kari hadn’t meant to cause him any serious injury. Just scare him off. However, one of her wild blows caught him in the temple and he dropped to the ground convulsing. She ran off, learning later that he died from the blow. She had inadvertently gained a reputation and the gang steered well clear of her from then on.

At the age of 16, Kari was a fully-fledged member of the local Thieves Guild. An older member, Red Sue (well known for her bright red hair) had taken Kari under her wing and was showing her the ropes. Kari’s natural aptitude and coordination made her a quick learner and she rapidly gained a reputation for night time burglaries. Red Sue’s boyfriend Rengar was even teaching her to use a short sword and sling. Although both stressed the first rule was always to run. Only fight if you have to… don’t fight fair... do what is necessary to survive.

Encounter Level (Lvl 2)
    Kari is currently being sought by the City Watch after a Guild sanctioned job went wrong. She is looking for a chance to leave town for a while and will be willing to take part in any short-term venture that promises a substantial reward.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Lockpick kit +10% (non-magical)
    Leather breastplate AT9 +10% (non-magical)
    You are not outnumbered! You are just in a target rich environment!

Still trying for 7 characters in 7 days. Here is #2...

Background Options
    1) Extra background option tables are available from Rolemaster Companion I Section 4.5
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)
    2) Spend one (1) background option to roll 1-100 on a table. GM overrule/consultation possible.
    3) Spend two (2) background options to select from a table. GM overrule/consultation possible.

Character Law
    2) Option 9: Hobbies (Primary hobby gains 4 ranks. Secondary hobby gains 2 ranks.)

Spell Law

Elona Vintari - Female 1/2Elven Ranger

Appearance - Elona is average height and slimly built. Long, pale hair with blue eyes. The only signs of her mixed heritage are high cheekbones, slightly almond shaped eyes and slightly pointed ears. This tends to give her a haughty (almost regal) look.
    *** Note on half-elves in my world. They do not necessarily have one human and one elvish parent. They have a mixture of human/elvish bloodlines somewhere in the family tree. ***

Personality - Not used to much interaction with people. Distrusts people in general. Prefers the solitude of the forests. "At least with an animal you know when it is going to attack!"

Background
    Elona's parents lived in a small house on the end of the village. Her mother tended the garden (vegetables, pigs and chickens). Her father was a trapper who often spent many days away in the forest. Her siblings were drawn to life in the village or spent time with Mother in the garden. Elona was always drawn to the forests with her father.

He taught her the skills of tracking and trapping, as well respect for the animals and forest. The happiest day of her life was her 16th birthday. Father gifted her a magnificent composite bow, specially crafted to suit her (+10 non-magical).

She has explored alone into the forest several times. Once encountering a pair of orcs butchering a small deer. A couple of careful arrows from cover solved the problem and she found herself with a chain shirt and scimitar (usable after careful washing!)

Father seeing that Elona was intending to explore more of the world, also gifted her his special "Waterwalking Boots". They have been in his possession since her earliest memory and he has never revealed how he came to own them.

Encounter Level (Lvl 2)
    Drawn by a "wanderlust" to see more of the world, Elona is looking for company (but not too many people!) to travel with. She is only interested in a wilderness venture, not being willing to spend any time in a city or underground scenario.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Standard chain shirt AT13, normal shield and scimitar
    Composite bow +10% (non-magical)
    Water-walking boots (1 use/day, 5 mins duration)

OK it's Saturday for me so a bit late! 3rd character on Day 3!

Note on half-orcs in my campaign. From a stats point of view, I use "Lesser Orc", without the penalties for daylight. So, if you want to use this character (but not as a half-orc) just change the race back to "Lesser Orc"...

Background Options
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)

Character Law

Spell Law

Zikam Moonglum - Male half-orc fighter

Appearance - Zikam’s orcish blood is obvious to all who meet him. He is just plain ugly. He has several missing teeth, his nose has been broken multiple times and there is a scar across his left cheek that causes a permanent sneer. He also has extensive whipping scars across his back and legs, but he never lets anyone see them. He has black hair hangs lankly. His eyes are dark brown.
    Most of Zikam’s physical scars are from his early years with the Red Moon orc tribe.

Personality - Zikam is a product of his upbringing. He is callous and cruel, with no thought for anyone other than himself. He will seek to dominate anyone he perceives as weaker than himself. Having been constantly taunted and beaten as a child he now delights in doing the same to others. He is a coward at heart and will not willingly take part in anything remotely resembling a “fair fight”.

Background
    Zikam’s birth was a result of violence. His human mother (Tani) was captured in a slaving raid by the Red Moon orc tribe. Kept as a slave, she was beaten, abused and raped. Life for all the slaves was hard, but to Tani it seemed especially harsh. Zikam was born a little over a year after her capture. His name is a corruption of the orcish words for black hair (zi-kaum).

Tani eventually succumbed to the beatings and abuse, dying when Zikam was two years old. He has no real memory of her. His orcish father refused to accept the smaller and weaker half breed and he was forcibly placed with another orcish family, who also despised him as a hindrance.

As a child, Zikam was the constant target of the larger and stronger full blood orcs. Beaten and humiliated often, he was given the work usually reserved for slaves or females. He became adept at cooking and tending the tribe’s animal herd. He would spend many nights, tending the herd, staring at the night sky and plotting revenge and escape. The typical weapons of the orcish youths were axe and club. Realising that he couldn’t compete with the other youths in strength, Zikam developed a fighting style that relied on his superior speed and coordination. He chose the tomahawk and hammer, but even this training was done in secret. None of the other orcs would associate with him. He was treated as a slave.

One night while tending the herd after another pointless beating, he resolved that he couldn’t continue living as an orc. Surely, life as a human would be better.
    He stole a chain shirt and a couple of weapons and headed in the direction of the human settlements.

Encounter Level (Lvl 2)
    Zikam has only just arrived in a human settlement. This is his first experience with any race other than orcs. It is not good. The humans realising his orcish blood are suspicious and intolerant. He is penniless and has virtually no equipment. He will take any sort of employment, but will take the first opportunity to steal from the party or anyone else. He will not be willing to fight unless against an observably weaker force.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Chain and greaves AT14, war hammer, 2x tomahawk

Damn! Missed yesterday (it was Sunday for me). OK, so I'll post two (2) today! And I'm going to cheat a bit by leveling up a couple of the previous characters.

So character #4 and #5 on Day 5.

Background Options
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)

Character Law

Spell Law

Kari Swiftfingers - Female human thief

Encounter Level (Lvl 8)
    Kari is medium tier member of the Thieves Guild. She has teamed up with Ivar (L8 human male warrior). They work together on town jobs as well as occasional forays into the wilderness. She will insist on Ivar also being recruited.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Leather breastplate (AT9) +10% non-magical
    Short Sword +10% non-magical
    Sling Bullets of Fire (CT III Pg 75) Add 'A' heat critical
    Sling Bullets of Ice(CT III Pg 75) Add 'A' cold critical
    Lock pick kit +10% non-magical
    Spider Rope (CT III Pg 87)

Encounter Level (Lvl 8)
    Elona has developed a career as a tracker/bounty hunter. She is well known in the region. Still unwilling to adventure below ground but, occasionally will venture into a city. Usually to deliver a bounty or arrange a new target.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Chain (AT13) +5% non-magical
    Normal shield
    Scimitar +10% non-magical
    Composite bow +10%/+20% vs orcs
    Waterwalking Boots
    Forester's Cloak (+25% to stalk/hide - outdoors only)

OK, going to level up Kari and Elona again. So even though I'll post two (2) characters, I'll only count it as one.

So character/s #6 on Day 6.

Background Options
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)

Character Law

Spell Law

Kari Swiftfingers - Female human thief

Encounter Level (Lvl 16)
    Kari is high in the planning and running of the Thieves Guild. She occasionally conscripts Guild members for expeditions on the understanding that the outcome will benefit the Guild (monetarily or otherwise) or if there is a special item/artifact they are seeking. Typically, she will have the following in her team:
    2-4 Warriors (level 12 + 1d4)
    1-3 Thieves (level 8 + 1d4)
    1 Spell caster (level 8 + 1d6)

Lvl 16 Equipment
    Chain breastplate (AT13) +10% non-magical
    Short Sword +10% non-magical
    Blackjack of Blindness +15% (3/day inflict Blinding)
    Sling of Seeking +15%
    Sling Bullets of Fire (CT III Pg 75) Add 'A' heat critical
    Sling Bullets of Ice(CT III Pg 75) Add 'A' cold critical
    Lock pick kit +15%
    Spider Rope (CT III Pg 87)
    Greater Scarab of Poison (+20% to perceive, identify and handle poison, +25% RR vs poison)

Encounter Level (Lvl 16)
    Elona has is a tracker/bounty hunter without peer. She is known throughout the land. She will grudgingly adventure below ground and occasionally will venture into a city. Usually to deliver a bounty or arrange a new target. She has also learned the spell lists Inner Walls (Lvl 10) and Barrier Law (Lvl 10).

Lvl 16 Equipment
    Chain (AT13) +10%
    Normal shield
    Scimitar +10% non-magical
    Composite Bow of Impact +20% (delivers additional impact critical 1 level lower)
    Beastmaster's Spear +10% (1/day cast Animal Summoning V, Animal Mastery V)
    Waterwalking Boots
    Forester's Cloak (+25% to stalk/hide - outdoors only)
    x2 spell multiplier (channeling only)

Oops... forgot the characters... :-)

Last one... Character #7 on Day #7. Thought I'd make this one a bit different.

Devry is a male human sorcerer. Probably don't want to get into his bad books once he gets to Lvl8 and Lvl16. As is always the case... high level spell casters are dangerous! He has some interesting magic items (as befits his level and background).

Here is my first...

Background Options
    - Skill at arms (SAA)
    - Skill at magic (SAM)

Character Law

Spell Law

Devry Tevarrow - Male Human Sorcerer

Appearance - Devry looks like a rake. He is always neatly presented and dressed in expensive clothes. He has immaculate manners and expensive tastes.

Personality - "I like that... I'll have it!". Devry is used to getting his way. Either through wealth (buying anything he wants) or influence. He is well aware of his social standing and power. If turned down he can become petulant or vengeful. He expects a "certain standard of living" and will not accept less ie no staying in cheap inns or common rooms!

Background
    Born into a house of privilege, Devry is a younger child to a minor noble family. Although he will never be in a position to inherit the family title, he has never wanted for anything material in his life. Always having the best of clothes etc

As a child he was given the best tutors available. Showing quick aptitude with numbers and letters, several of his tutors suggested he was capable of "higher" learning. His familiy's wealth/influence secured him a position with a sorcerer in the capital city. He rapidly outstripped his master in learning and struck out on his own.

Encounter Level (Lvl 2)
    Devry is on his way to the Great Library. He will be willing join a group that offers the opportunity for gaining "interesting" magic items. Wealth alone is not enough to interest him.

Lvl 2 Equipment
    Quarterstaff
    Amulet +2 spell adder
    Ring (Protection I 3x/day)
    Jewel (staring into it adds +10% to Meditation)

Encounter Level (Lvl 8)
    Skilled in Mind/Soul Destruction, along with Spirit/Gate Mastery and Dispelling, Devry is not to be ignored. He has a large opinion of himself by now. His ego matches his skills. He still seeks "interesting" items.

Lvl 8 Equipment
    Eye-Staff (CT II Pg 78)
    Amulet x2 spell multiplier
    Ring (Protection I 3x/day)
    Awe-Inspiring Headband (-25% for 1-10 rds to all activities when dealing with wearer)
    Rune - Break Limb (Flesh Destruction)
    Rune - Clotting III (Blood Law)

Encounter Level (Lvl 16)
    Devry has been adventuring for a couple of decades. He has accumulated many magical items and much wealth (even eclipsing the family wealth). He has established a large manor house surrounded by orchards on the edge of the city. He is well connected to the royal family and the University of Magic. He seeks the legendary artifact the Mage Lord's Staff. He will follow any lead or join any party that he believes could lead to the Staff (or provide information about it whereabouts).

Lvl 16 Equipment
    Ring (Stun Relief 3x/day)
    Amulet x3 spell multiplier
    Awe-Inspiring Headband (-25% for 1-10 rds to all activities when dealing with wearer)
    Bracelet of Elemental Defections (Deflect I on elemental attacks)
    Eye-Staff (CT II Pg 78)
    Wand of the Winds (C Pg 75) Any spell from "Wind Law" to Lvl 12
    2x Rune - Break Limb (Flesh Destruction)
    2x Rune - Clotting III (Blood Law)

Thank you dunadan for your additions, probably I'll use them in a future Adventure. Do you Plan to add more? If yes, could you please add some healer type too? Thank again, you saved me a lot of time!
    Ultimate license holder, do not worry about partecipating Italian DM (gmt+1). check here to find your timezone difference https://everytimezone.com/

- Players live a thousand lives, a DM let live a thousand universes -

I don't normally create many NPC healers. I think that it is the PC's responsibility to provide healing. If you create a strong NPC healer then they basically become a heal-bot that the party uses (abuses).

However, having said that... there is a crazy cat lady that lives on the edge of town... all the kids say she can turn you into a frog and avoid her... occasionally someone will approach her for healing... when REALLY desperate...

Crazy Kate
    Appearance - Very old female human. Wild eyes, hair that has never seen a brush. Hardly any teeth. Walks with a stoop.

Is a "Healer". Knows the following spell lists:
    - Transference
    - Surface Ways (up to Lvl 5)
    - Blood Ways (up to Lvl 5)
    - Bone Ways (up to Lvl 5)
    - Muscle Ways (up to Lvl 5)

Encounter
    If approached for healing roll 1-100 for Crazy Kate's response:

1-40 Yell at the party that she isn't home (even though she is <10 feet away from them and in plain sight).
    41-70 Offer a "natural" remedy. GM should create a disgusting concoction eg poultice of sheep manure and crushed snail, tisane of lavender and green caterpillars (still alive) etc
    71-90 Offer magical healing in return for a favour (not interested in money)
    91-100 Offer both the "natural" and magical healing. Note the character must accept both!

Crazy Kate is not interested in leaving her home for an adventure. Who would feed her dozens of cats?

Thread Information