DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: New to C&C

Quote Originally Posted by Laconiclament
    Also new to C&C, over here, with a question of my own.

Is the 4th printing of the Players' Handbook (which appears to be the printing our FG ruleset is based off of) the most current? Are more changes and reprints likely?
    The fourth printing is the current edition which is in a stable state. And welcome to the club!
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Actually, I have the 5th printing, dated 2012, which is where I get the new logo for the C&C beta ruleset. They do seem to reprint the rulebooks occasionally, but the changes that I'm aware of are for the right reason: clarifying and simplifying rules, as opposed to just selling more books. There are only a handful of differences that the ruleset dev group was able to identify from the 4th printing. One was just a simplification of the encumbrance rules (which I'm rolling into the new ruleset).
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    Actually, I have the 5th printing, dated 2012, which is where I get the new logo for the C&C beta ruleset. They do seem to reprint the rulebooks occasionally, but the changes that I'm aware of are for the right reason: clarifying and simplifying rules, as opposed to just selling more books. There are only a handful of differences that the ruleset dev group was able to identify from the 4th printing. One was just a simplification of the encumbrance rules (which I'm rolling into the new ruleset).
    What a novel concept.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    ive got phb 2, 3, 4 and 5... no real need - just like to collect stuff...
    there are many *minor* differences between editions. very little to upset anyones apple-cart and as doc says - they are not different editions they are really just revisions. the trolls will tell you that too - they wont recommend you buy 5 of you've already got 4.

Having first been exposed to RPGs through AD&D at age 15 and firmly entrenching myself in 3.5 for the majority of my RPing "career", I only have one thing to say at this time...

I'm really glad I've been put onto C&C!

I know I've got more to learn about it, but it's not nearly as foreign as some other game systems are and I've arranged the perfect opportunity TO learn more of it. Sooo....yeah! Color me one happy gamer!
    Timezone: Mountain Standard Time
    FG Classic: Ultimate License Holder
    FG Unity: Standard License Holder

Current Campaigns:
    None

Blog Entries
    I read on the Troll Lords forums that they said there is no need to buy the 5th Ed if you have the 4th. (A publisher telling you that you don't need the new edition is another novel concept.) one thing I hear over and over again is what a bunch of good guys they are.
    Ultimate License
    Time Zone: MST (GMT-7)

Honestly, that's one thing I *loathed* about D&D... just really resented the idea that everything you were buying always just about had one foot in the grave as a product, ensuring you'd need to buy more and more books. Meanwhile, the game was always changing but it was arguably not improving. Troll Lords is a big breath of fresh air after D&D.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

the new hard backs aren't bad either, i have a very nice copy of Dungeons of Dread with all the S series modules in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    Honestly, that's one thing I *loathed* about D&D... just really resented the idea that everything you were buying always just about had one foot in the grave as a product, ensuring you'd need to buy more and more books. Meanwhile, the game was always changing but it was arguably not improving. Troll Lords is a big breath of fresh air after D&D.
    Amen to that, brother. The Trolls seem to be one of the few companies that are getting it right. It reaffirms my faith in people learning from others' "blunders."

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Thread Information