STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Spacemaster Attack and Critical Tables?

Has anyone worked on getting the Spacemaster attack and critical tables into the Rolemaster Classic ruleset?

I've switched my Traveller campaign to Spacemaster 2nd Ed. and I'm going to be using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. It would be awesome if someone had already ported the attack tables and criticals so I won't have to do the work.

I'm also writing a Spacemaster 2nd Ed. character generation program that will export to the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. I'll release it when it's ready so others can use it. (It's 80% done.)

After I finish the Spacemaster generator I'll do one for Rolemaster 2nd Ed. (I already have most of the data necessary.) It too will export to Fantasy Grounds.

I ran a SpaceMaster game during FG Con last year just to prove that it could be done. I just did the bare minimum to run a 4 hour session and improvised the things I didn't have. Unfortunately, it was put together for RMC v1.3 which was before I started reorganizing the ruleset. The new organization should make these things easier in the long run since I've been trying to pull out the rule specific things.

One thing that I noticed is the fumble range is associated with the table so fumbles require some manual intervention or would require multiple versions of the attack table. One for each fumble range.

I'm curious how things turn out for you so please let me know how it goes.

I've also run Spacemaster 2nd ed. games over FG using almost nothing but the dice. I'm sure, since Spacemaster 2e has the streamlined tables (compared to 1e) there, it won't be hard to adapt.Mind you I'm not the one doing the adapting
    Last edited by S Ferguson; April 18th, 2013 at 01:04.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

Quote Originally Posted by malvok View Post
    Has anyone worked on getting the Spacemaster attack and critical tables into the Rolemaster Classic ruleset?

I've switched my Traveller campaign to Spacemaster 2nd Ed. and I'm going to be using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. It would be awesome if someone had already ported the attack tables and criticals so I won't have to do the work.

I'm also writing a Spacemaster 2nd Ed. character generation program that will export to the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. I'll release it when it's ready so others can use it. (It's 80% done.)

After I finish the Spacemaster generator I'll do one for Rolemaster 2nd Ed. (I already have most of the data necessary.) It too will export to Fantasy Grounds.
    Did you ever finish? How did it work out?

The land of the Pecsaetan, in the Kingdom of Mercia
    I'm probably biting off more than I can chew here, but I'm currently looking into trying to set up Spacemaster weapons & attack tables for use in the RM ruleset. I'm no coder, and am completely new to FG (not thrown any virtual dice in anger yet), so I'm not really ticking all the boxes for this endeavour! However I can bluff my way through the XML code so will see how it goes, but anything more than that is going to be beyond me. Running on FGU, for what it's worth.

I think I've identified the relevant parts for the attack tables from Arms Law, plus the 'weaponlist' section, so I aim to modify and include those in a separate mod. I have tinkered with a new mod file, and early signs suggests that it seems to work, though I've got sidetracked with some of the issues below. I've also seen Dakadin's instructions on custom crit tables too, so that's something else on my 'to do' list. Heck, maybe professions, races & skill too, but not anytime soon (need to learn to walk before I start running!). I've not got too much further as I'm noticing potential issues as I go.

Firstly the fumble ranges aren't fixed on the attack tables, but vary with the different weapons. Dakadin suggested above that multiple versions of the same table might be required to get around this, and that's the same conclusion that I've come to (certainly the only one I'd have a chance at pulling off). I think the same thing goes for the shotgun table, where the critical type varies with ammo type, and maybe also with the burst fire rules (increased damage plus puncture crits become shrapnel crits).

Thresholds for Mark 1, Mark 2 etc. weapons can presumably be replicated by using the same structure as the martial arts attack ranks, so I'm hoping to give that a whirl, but different thresholds for RM ATs is something I just plan on ignoring for now, unless anyone has any suggestions (I can see this creating issues with the existing RM tables, and I'd rather not have to modify them all to include an additional 20 SM ATs).

Biggest issue for me at the moment (assuming I can get the rest working ok) is multiple crits (F, G & H). I'm guessing this will take more than just tweaking the XML. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. If I can't find a decent solution to this, is it possible to just manually pull up the crit tables in FG and roll both crits? Like I say, I'm completely new to FG.

I know I'm not the first person to look into this, judging by the various posts I've seen on this thread and elsewhere, and I know Dakadin has previous run a version of Spacemaster, so I'm just after any pointers anyone might have. Alternatively anything glaringly obvious that I've missed (i.e. my assumptions about which sections of code I need to include in my mod file). I'm guessing greater minds than mine have looked at some of the points above. Even if I don't get far with this, maybe some of the questions I'm asking and any answers that come of them will assist anyone else looking to do this.

I can't see our group playing Spacemaster any time soon, but should hopefully have a Rolemaster game going before long. We've not played together for years (maybe 20?), and we're spread out across the country (and the World in one case) so FG looks like a great solution. I take my hat off (or would if I was wearing one) to all those involved in the development of, and those who continue to work on, both RMC and the FRP extension.

Thanks in advance.

HI QuirkyBirky,

Quite a bit has changed so professions, races and skills can be created within the ruleset now.

The fumble ranges now use the items/attacks instead of the attack tables so you won't have to create multiple tables anymore for different fumble ranges. Just update the items and it should work.

Yes, the thresholds should work for Mark 1, etc as long as they are at the same values as the ranks/creature sizes. You just need to set it appropriately in the items.

I can show you a sample of how it is setup for the multiple criticals when I get off work. The lightning bolt table in Spell Law is a good example. It allows the GM to select each critical individually when resolving the attack.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Thanks Dakadin. Hopefully I'm on the right track. I've had a go at the blaster attack table (managed to get a decent OCR of the tables, which helps), and I'll sort out the heat crit table and fumble tables next and see if it all works together. If so then I'll crack on with the rest.

I'm definitely interested in the multiple crit setup. I'll try picking through Spell Law to find it, but if you can flag it up (in big flashing neon lights so I don't miss it!) then that would be fantastic.

Regarding the professions, races and skills, once I've done them from within FG, can I export as a mod? I won't be the one running the game so am trying to make life easy for our long suffering GM. That might sound like a dumb question, but like I said before, I'm completely new to FG.

Edit: I found the multiple crits for lightning bolt in Spell Law. Something else for me to play with! Thanks again Dakadin.
    Last edited by QuirkyBirky; March 17th, 2021 at 22:23.

Yes, you can export the professions, races and skills as a module.

I set up a Python script that interprets csv crit tables and builds xml crit tables of them. It‘s not perfect but a nice timesaver that helped me to get some companion crits. If interested i can send it to you. Maybe it is even possible to use it as a base for attack tables building.

That sounds intriguing Strubbel. I think the attack tables shouldn't take me long to do. I'm not much of a coder so I've been importing decent OCR copies of the tables into Excel (which makes it easy to spot gaps or errors) and using formulae to create the XML (don't laugh, I'm old-school). Once one is set up then the others should be straightforward enough.

I think the criticals will be the bit that slows me down since it's not just a copy and paste exercise every time, so I'll gladly give your Python script a go. Coincidentally, I recently bought a book on Python to try and help teach my son (and myself) how to use it (not got far yet!).

Thread Information