DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Feature list for C&C dev consideration

Cuz apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, I've started a list for C&C users to propose ruleset feature ideas and vote on their prioritization. This is the same kind of list that Moonwiz is using for the FG app itself, so many of y'all already know the drill: vote on the features listed on the page, and propose new ones. Wash rinse repeat.

I can't promise I'll do them... or will even be able to do them... but I do care what y'all think is important and am interested in any ideas you might come up with. I've seeded the list with some of the ideas that I'd like to add myself, and a few items that are already being punted out of the current version in development in an effort to get something out to y'all sooner rather than later.

C&C is not dead! Swing by and make yourself heard... peace out.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Voted Did I.

"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Yeah, but Yoda only had to master lifting spaceships with his mind, he never had to debug a partially finished ruleset! One simple bug I fixed today took about 3 hours of stumbling around in the code looking for where Effect nodes are actually created in the CT, and once found, 5 minutes to fix. So in Yoda terms, that was 175 minutes of "try" and only 5 minutes of "do"... "do not" seems only marginally less productive, if just as time consuming!

Thanks for chiming in on the list.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

I have a generic Calendar Extension that will run under C&C, so you can take that off the immediate list. I just have to iron out some client-server bugs and it should be a release in about two weeks. And 1/2 a day to blend the icon into the current ones on the screen (gosh I like that screen). I could also build an extension for weather effects into it, if the demand is there.

Cheers.
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

I'm interested to see what you put together, SF. Is the calendar tied to an event log of sorts like the 3.5 one is? I want to be able to make notes about upcoming events, weather conditions, when somebody is going to show up, etc. Included weather effects gets 2 thumbs up from me... whatever that is, exactly

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    I'm interested to see what you put together, SF. Is the calendar tied to an event log of sorts like the 3.5 one is? I want to be able to make notes about upcoming events, weather conditions, when somebody is going to show up, etc. Included weather effects gets 2 thumbs up from me... whatever that is, exactly
    Yep it's the full calendar with entry logs and if you *really* want to I can generate a specific calendar for a milleau. it works with all the 4e calendars (or 3.5e it really doesn't make a difference) but the basic one is the Gregorian calendar.

And I can provide a weather attachment since it got two thumbs up (that might take a little longer).

It is working fine on the Host side, but is choking on the players side but I should have some time this week (and mabye the next) to fix it up for release.
    Aliens.... Go fig?

That sounds fantastic, and a great idea for FG in general. Personally, the Gregorian calendar is fine with me - there is a Greyhawk calendar, but I don't use it for a couple of reasons.

What would the Weather Attachment be? I really don't know what most other folks do - make it up on the fly or use weather generation tables, I guess. FWIW, I'm using my own weather charts based on the original Greyhawk tables that were stupidly difficult to use manually back in the day (thank you computers!), so I don't need generation charts. What would be most helpful to me would be to have a few lines of text to list weather separate from event text. A weather icon or something would be extra spiffy, but not really necessary. What were you thinking of doing?

If you're interested, I found some good weather icons on the web - my belief is that they are free to use... I'd be happy to forward them to you if you're interested & decide to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    That sounds fantastic, and a great idea for FG in general. Personally, the Gregorian calendar is fine with me - there is a Greyhawk calendar, but I don't use it for a couple of reasons.

What would the Weather Attachment be? I really don't know what most other folks do - make it up on the fly or use weather generation tables, I guess. FWIW, I'm using my own weather charts based on the original Greyhawk tables that were stupidly difficult to use manually back in the day (thank you computers!), so I don't need generation charts. What would be most helpful to me would be to have a few lines of text to list weather separate from event text. A weather icon or something would be extra spiffy, but not really necessary. What were you thinking of doing?

If you're interested, I found some good weather icons on the web - my belief is that they are free to use... I'd be happy to forward them to you if you're interested & decide to do something like that.
    Yes. When I'm finished, the calendar extension should be portable across all the "older" systems.

I was thinking (say did your Greyhawk tables come from Dragon ca. '82 - I think they were the first public rules) I was planning on doing what the Weather Channel does. give you Accurate Weather for the day that it is, and have no long-term forecast (like they ever get it right anyway). The weather would just be for that day, giving standard weather channel type stuff for that day. So yes the icons would probably be handy.

If I get around to *really* sprucing it up weather would probably be a Nonlinear Chaotic Systems approach model (boy that sounds technical ), I have lying around somewhere. Probably as an exercise in my Nonlinear Dynamics book or something. No wait I found it, oh goody it has the formulas. Oh well as long as it delivers the weather, the insides don't matter.

Cheers,
    SF
    Aliens.... Go fig?

I'm using the tables in the 1983 (I think) version of the Greyhawk "Glossography"... it's a set of weather tables and rules that are about 6 pages long. Gygax really disliked them, as they were too clumsy and time consuming for somebody to use... and before computers, he was right! It incorporates latitude and elevation, how close you are to a warm or cold sea current, etc. Way over engineered for rolling dice and using graph paper! I've got it in a local web page and automated - just trying to tweak it and get the summaries right.

Thread Information