DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Improvement: One client, multiple characters

This will be the first of a handful of suggestions that I believe would make FG2 a stronger program. The others will be posted independently for consideration. I am currently using the 3.5 ruleset

For someone running two characters, it would be great if clicking on one character would automatically display the correct name and dice in the chat. Right now you need to click/highlight the particular character, then double click on the action/roll that you want.
    Last edited by PolishZeus; February 28th, 2013 at 05:37.

This is an excellent idea. I run my character and an NPC in every game session and I constantly forget to click on the correct portrait before attacking. I think it's a little silly that, when I make a roll from the Actions tab on one character sheet, it will report the attack as coming from a different character if I have that other characters portrait and dice selected.

You have the same problem as GM, multiplied by the number of NPCs currently in play. I would guess that there's some base function somewhere that sets the identity based on the portrait. The multiple character selection has allowed the player to switch identities in the same way as the GM can, but the base functions for identity still need that switch. What you suggest is to base the current identity on the character sheet being used, if I understand you correctly.

Btw, there is an area for suggesting improvements, and voting on them:
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I'm not able to recreate the situation you are describing.

• I just started up the 3.5E ruleset, and connected with a client using 2 different characters.
    • I brought up both character sheets on the client.
    • I activated one character (i.e. bold in under upper left character portrait)
    • Then I made both attack, spell and saving throw rolls from both character sheets.
    • The portraits and names were correct on all rolls.
    • Then, I activated the other character and repeated the rolls.
    • Again, the portraits and names were correct on all rolls.

I am using the Chat: Show Portraits option and Chat: Show Roll Actor option.

Regards,
    JPG

MoonWizard, I think what he's talking about is missing out step 6 (the reactivation of the other character). So the current identity is based on the character sheet that the roll was made from. Essentially, automatically doing the activation step if the current identity doesn't match the sheet. Does the 3.5e ruleset support this? I know this can be a problem in my game (using Foundation core and The One Ring custom extension).
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

This is actually very good improvement idea. In fact this has bugged me far too long time so I implemented solution regarding it to SWFI extension some data ago. It will smooth up die rolling for Players and GM. Recommend it.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

I'm not sure I understand. So, I will explain how it works now, and someone can clarify what the enhancement request is.

* When typing in the chat window, the "active" character (for players) is the speaker. If only one character is loaded, it is always the active speaker. If more than one character is loaded, one character will be "active" (name is bold in upper portrait list). To change the active character, just click on portrait or click on bubble on character sheet.

* When rolling from a character sheet, the character sheet that is used for the roll is the speaker.

* When rolling from elsewhere, the "active" character is the speaker.

It is similar for GMs, except they have a separate "speaking identity" list and rolls from NPC sheets work similar to character sheets.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    hi moon_wizard - it doesnt work like that. if CharacterA is my Active Character and I open the CharacterB character sheet and double click on something resulting in a roll or action - that action will come from CharacterA... at the very least it is labelled so...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned
    hi moon_wizard - it doesnt work like that. if CharacterA is my Active Character and I open the CharacterB character sheet and double click on something resulting in a roll or action - that action will come from CharacterA... at the very least it is labelled so...
    Damned - which ruleset are you seeing this on and which specific char sheet roll/actions triggers the output you describe? I only ask as I am working on 5E at the moment (which has been baselined from 3.5E/4E) and I am not seeing this behaviour.

I have Show Roll Actors set to ALL in options.

If I have two charsheets open, regardless of who is currently active, if I click on a roll/action on charsheet A, the roll/action output to chat is labeled as char A, if I click on a roll/action on charsheet B, the roll/action output to chat is labeled as char B.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    weeeellll... i just dont know anymore. it happened last might in game -w e were short a couple of players so I made everyone pickup a second character and several times people made rolls from the wrong character sheet - i thought initiative and combat and siege checks - i just launched a second instance and opened 2 characters and all three worked perfectly...
    oh and Im playing castles&crusades and using the beta ruleset that DrVenture is pitting himself against...

Thread Information